1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl is the only one qualified to coach this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 30, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

We need a coach with credibility to his name. George Karl has been in just about any situation there is as a NBA coach. Karl also knows how to run a fastbreak team correctly. This is crucial. Because we won't have to change the makeup of the team per se. Getting a coach like JVG or SVG will force us to change playing styles, which means changing the makeup of our roster. I don't want that. George has coached fastbreak teams before, coached great defensive teams before, and has successfully coached two superstars before (Gary Payton & Shawn Kemp). He's also coached teams with no star talent. We need a coach like this who's been through it all and is familiar with the pressure of coaching 2 superstars.

The only problem I see is Daryl Morey. Will Morey hire a coach that will demand the team be ran HIS way. The days of the GM running the offense are over. If we're serious about winning a championship, we need a coach who's either won one before, or atleast been there to experience it. First time coach's should NOT even be a option, Chris Finch included. Another pushover like Mchale will only make our lives miserable as fans. Daryl Morey needs to let Mchale walk this offseason, then hire George Karl as our next coach.

Side note: Jerry Sloan is another considerable mention:)

1 person likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey needs to back off or get fired with McHale for this nonsense offense.

3. ThaShark316_28

Karl's offense is ehh in the half court.

4. ThaShark316_28

Don't want any coaches who'll never win a thing. Y'all want to replace McHale? Cool. Find someone else. Karl is a waste in the playoffs. You'll see.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He is the McGrady of head coaches so I guess that makes since.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

George "First Round Exit" Karl

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This thread just ruined my day.:(

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Morey wanted JVG to stay. I don't think he's as attached to this offense as we seem to think. I'm sure he wanted to experiment with it when it looked like we weren't contenders, but the tide has turned much quicker than anticipated. No time for pee-pee games right now. He can let Hinkie conduct the case study. It's time to win. On Karl? I'd be glad to have him but he's not an out of the park homerun or my first choice.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Concur.

Not sure why everyone is so in love with a guy with a 43% winning percentage in the playoffs?

Who cares about styles? Fast break basketball requires the least coaching there is. It's more a philosophy - try and run the fast break, or don't... no coaching required.

So while I'm not in love with SVG, for example, at least the dude was a 55% winner in the playoffs.

Or Lionel Hollins, whose teams seemed to overachieve, has at least a winning record in the playoffs.

This is if we're pointing to name recognition coaches. As I noted in the other thread, I'd be fine with Sam Cassel as a try-out. Or maybe someone like David Vanterpool.... if you can't beat em, join em, right?

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

George Karl is better when he doesn't have superstars. I would say the best coach for this team is SVG.

11. luhbron

luhbron Member

Imagine the Sloan-Harden relationship. Immediate ****storm.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coach George Karl on Carmelo Anthony: &quot;He's an individual that produces individual success but doesn't produce Championships&quot;. <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA">@ESPNNBA</a></p>&mdash; Jay Williams (@RealJayWilliams) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/statuses/408632397300006912">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Oh great, there goes any chance at getting Carmelo!...:mad:

(P.S) Jerry Sloan is almost 100yrs old...:eek:

13. robinjaswal23

robinjaswal23 Member

SVG is the best coach out there with someone like lional Hollins as possibly assistant coach..this team would do wonders becuase the defense would drastically improve and because SVG actually has a system. His success rate in the playoffs has been good as well..As someone whos been to the Finals. Dwight let this happen :D

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Karl has been out of the first round numerous times, what are you talking about?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No thanks.

Playoff fail.

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

When was Karl's last playoff success? Say No to him.

By the way, to stir the pot, he did say a few times before, that Rockets need to put the ball in Lin's hands. He might get the support from some fans of Lin:)

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think George Karl would be an outstanding hire for this team. I disagree with the posters who are saying he's a failure in the playoffs. Has he had a lot of first round exits? Yes. But he also led Seattle to the Conference Finals several times and the NBA Finals once. He led Milwaukee to within a game of the NBA Finals in 2001. He led the Nuggets to within 2 games of the NBA Finals in 2009 and 9 consecutive playoff appearances.

Has he never won a title as a coach? No, he hasn't. But look at the success he's had nevertheless everywhere he's gone since 1991. And keep in mind that these are franchises that weren't exactly dominating the league before he got there. The Sonics had accomplished some measure of success in the playoffs under Bernie Bickerstaff in the mid-to-late 80's, but only made the Conference Finals once in that timeframe. And the Bucks and Nuggets were awful before Karl took over as head coach.

I view Karl the same as Larry Brown. A great coach who succeeded everywhere he went, but never could get over the hump and win it all. Brown finally got his ring when he landed with the Pistons. Maybe Karl just needs one more shot at it with a group of guys who are on the verge of something special but are missing the right leader.

1 person likes this.
  18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Gary Payton & Shawn Kemp?

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

2009. Also the same year the Rockets last tasted any playoff success. Karl does just fine in the playoffs. Look at his record with his last 3 teams. If you wanna single out the Nuggets' first round defeats, keep in mind that while he was there, this was an era when the West was being dominated by the likes of the Spurs, Lakers, Suns, Thunder, and Mavs. Not exactly light competition.

You're telling me if you give that guy Harden and Howard, that he can't at least get them past a team like the Blazers? Shoot, the Rockets would probably be going for the series clincher tonight if that dude was our coach right now.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Never win a ring? The only reason he doesnt have one is because of Michael Jordan. Whole bunch of nonsense spewing in here