1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Genealogy Websites Were Key To Big Break In Golden State Killer Case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Apr 27, 2018.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

GEDmatch, a tiny DNA analysis firm, was key for Golden State Killer case
    "No court order was needed to access that site’s large database of genetic blueprints."

ARS TECHNICA
    CYRUS FARIVAR 4/27/2018, 11:25 PM

B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Glad they caught the guy. Legally, illegally, I don't care. In this case. This guy was a monster.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you pull back from the trees in this, you will realize that DNA is the new fingerprint, and the governments of the world already have growing databases on everyone. Even if you didn't voluntarily submit your DNA, they're going to get it eventually. Sucks but it's the hard, non-crackpot truth.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

They have our DNA from all those pin pricks on our feet @ birth...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Lulz. "The Government" cannot even keep track of or keep sanitary most of their rape kits. Unless you are out there committing multiple felony crimes, no, "The Government" has no interest in your DNA, nor any place to catalogue and store it. On the State and City level, they routinely screw up simple blood and urine samples for, say, DUIs. Where do you think that "The Feds" would be theoretically getting their stuff?

B-Bob likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My mom found her birth mother through it. She was born in 1963.

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I’m sure mine is kept in my “permanent files” that my middle school counselor told me about.

Rashmon, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  8. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

The police used something like GEDmatch. It's a public database people upload their DNA to. Like if you used Ancestry or 23andme, you can download your raw data from those services & upload it to this public database if you want more information or if you are adopted for example & really hoping to find relatives. A lot of people do it. The police need no warrant or permission, as it is a public database, from what I understand.

Edit: just saw that Gigo already posted this.

9. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No unauthorized person submitted the suspect's DNA. If your relative uploads their DNA to a public DNA database, then a connection can be made between that relative and you. Read this article and you can find out how it happened :

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...is-firm-was-key-for-golden-state-killer-case/

** EDIT : Oops, looks like GIGO beat me to it **

11. Buck Turgidson

Reading mine right now, this is fascinating stuff.

One of my 4th cousins whom I've never met in my life looks to be smoking hot and single and....

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I was gifted an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas. Sent it off last week, so I’m looking forward to the results.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Somebody said that stuff is inconsistent or fake. They got different results when he submitted it twice.

14. Buck Turgidson

I am in fact 8% native american, was always curious if what the family said was true.

Now I have to figure out how 2% of me is from South Asia.

15. Buck Turgidson

I've wondered about that. My mom and brother are doing it to so I guess I can compare stuff.

I don't really care about it, I just think it's cool.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Well comparing with your family is a bit of a crap shoot bc you will get DNA from different sets of relatives. My sister got a small bit of Jewish DNA, I have none but also have 2% African and she does not. And over time my Ancestry.com results have changed at least twice since they're always updating data.

17. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I know; should have said that about a dozen other cousins/aunts/uncles have done the same. It's fun to look at, is about all I take it for.

Has anybody done the "health" evaluation? We didn't, and hearing about the inaccuracies in genealogy makes me wonder.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

You know- using dna technology to meet women is similar to trolling family reunions for ass. It all sounds good and fun until until you’re the uncle father of a child with three arms and legs.

19. Buck Turgidson

Apparently, genetically, once you get to 3rd cousin-level it's all good. Just sayin. ;)

studogg likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Has anyone here used FamilySearch.org?

Five or so years ago, my wife created a free account on Ancetsry.com for my son to do stuff for a BSA merit badge. We did not go any further back than my son's great grand parents. The site was easy to use and we found all the family that the wife and I knew about.

Fast forward to today. I am going through my parent safe deposit box and there is a sh*t ton of genealogy records, outside of birth/death/marriage certificates for their kids, themselves and their parents. I decided to take a peek at my son's Ancetsry.com account and it aint free anymore. They give a short free trail, but quickly becomes $100 per year, which is way more $$$ I am willing to spend on something that I only have marginal interests in.

Looking for an alternative, I found FamilySearch.org, which is underwritten by the Mormons. I created an account and made a family tree for all of my likely suspects. it is about as easy to use as Ancestry.com, but lacks some of the records that Ancestry has.

The last week I have been fleshing out my family tree, past the grand parent level. These are people I never met, so it is hard to know how correct everything is. My expectation was everything pre-1900 would be extremely stretchy. Official birth, death and marriage certificates were optional, I was guessing. Much of the 1800-1900 genealogy from my mother's side comes from family bibles (and turned out to be not 100% factual).

What I have found out is that FamilySearch has a fair amount of 1800-1950 census data. Somebody digitized those census records. This allowed me to go back 5 generations for most of my family tree, which was a surprise to me.

Another surprise is that some families take this sh*t very seriously. FamilySearch has genealogy entries for some families all the way back to Europe. Whenever my family tree intersects with one of these well groomed genealogies I instantly added 3+ generations to my tree, which is pretty cool.

A final surprise, which should not be a surprise if I thought a little about it, cemeteries have grave markers as well the associated death certificates. There are two sites that FamilySearch links to that have grave marker information.

I had one interesting find. Chasing back several well groomed genealogies, I got back to a series of Swedish/Danish kings/queens dating 400-700 CE. Just looking at the records, i imagine the story line went went something like this. In the period 400-700 the first born sons became kings and their daughters were married to another country's princes. At about 700, the lineage got demoted to Lords (Carls). They migrate eventually to Normandy France and within one generation they take on French names. They appear to cross the channel with William the Conqueror and acquired English estates. This goes along until the mid 1400s (which is when the War of the Roses happened iirc) and they got their next demotion. In the early 1700s they immigrated to the USA.

I now firmly believe that there is a 10% change that 40 generations ago my ancestors were sharping their long swords and boarding long ships and looking for adventure.

:D

Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.