1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I want to make fun of you for point #3 but truth is I thought the EXACT same thing when I read the tweet.

RyanB likes this.
  2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

That's all well and good. I've just been under the impression that Tillman is one of those guys who would rather save $800 and pretend it's all sensible cost-cutting when he's really going a bit overboard.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. macan

macan Member

cheap arse tilman needs to sell this team to Yao!
    no future superstars would wanna come and play for a cheap owner

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

leaving you with a worse team to compete and your logic is to be in year 1 of the repeater with that lesser team. compared to a having a actual contender and out of the repeater.

All based on some imaginary trade down the road. awesome business logic you have there.

yeah its a good thing your behind that computer instead of running an office

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'll be shocked if the cuts, whatever they are, don't turn out to be related to the announcement of Morey's new contract. Sounds like a lot of financial decisions being made.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This isn't meant to offend you and I apologize ahead of time if it does but what would have made you think that Morey would bolt at the first opportunity he gets? It's not as if Les was flexible in terms of paying "at all costs" (e.g. paying luxury tax) for his teams so this is just par for the course in terms of ownership expectations.

Based on this season, does it seem that Morey has had to work a bit harder in order to assemble a team? Absolutely but how much of that is due to Tilman and how much of that is due to the reality that we have three players taking up around 80% of the salary cap? Before 2017, the Rockets might have had a bit more wiggle room but that's also because we didn't have competent players (e.g. Paul and the Capela that emerged last season) on this roster.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, Morey could be walking out the door any moment. Guaranteed!

8. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

923B7143-B6B8-40B7-8FB9-F13490FD7F12.png

103 a year in profit, not to mention general team value inflation and possible playoff success. The long term financials look Mmm Mmm good.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd like to think that a sensible person wouldn't have purchased a sports team for over $2 billion would pursue a path to tear down the team down to the nuts and bolts because he's "cheap" or "broke".

What he paid for a franchise, IMO, was an overpay and I'm hoping I'm not the only one that thought so when news broke out. That being said, when you overpay for an asset the last thing you want to do is to do anything that will de-value the asset and/or add on expenditures that aren't fiscally sound.

Let's say there's a reality where Tilman wants to sell this franchise in 2-3 years for maximum profit. The two things he can do are 1. control costs (not wanting to pay luxury tax, even if that means "feverishly" reducing them) and 2. manage and grow its value (e.g. giving a Top 3 GM a 5 year extension, having an MVP player on the roster for the next 4 years, etc.). But I'd like to think this is also something a smart businessman/owner would do to also insure long-term gains are also there if/when he's ready to sell.

amaru and ramotadab like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

The actual sources were the whiners on clutchfan's. look at everyone in this thread that ran with it. too bad we couldn't hear from @Carl Herrera yet
    [​IMG]

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm told point blank it's not legit.

Tfor3, TMac'n, Richie_Rich and 32 others like this.
  13. slpntz

slpntz Member

Boom!

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Lmao just the same level of pure rage

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

“You’re”

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tilman about to overcompensate. Hopefully we get free beer night. Maybe we can have a Disco Demolition at the Toyota Center.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Check my post history. I’ve been really happy with the team’s recent performance and optimistic at our chance of winning it all this year.

That doesn’t preclude me from criticizing an owner who has said he is all-in on a ring but has cut costs left and right. Or from pushing back on a poster who is trying to stonewall that discussion.

The moves that have helped us get back on track did not cost us any assets (Faried, Rivers). It’s intellectually dishonest to claim that the move that did cost us several picks(Shumpert) got us back on track, when he has barely played at all.

Gray_Jay and rantsolpuella13 like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's a lot of really smart posters repeating these things, but usually as a 'schtick'. Anything for entertainment I guess.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Case closed then !

DD

Rock Block, BigMaloe and joshuaao like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh snap. The plot thickens.