1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

#41 mac_got_this, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with you here. Much ado about nothing. I doubt that tightening down wasteful spending will impact what happens on the court this year. If he's cutting down scouting expenditures or practice personnel costs, then I'll worry. But if he's telling the bars in the Yota to keep better records of their sales, that's business and who cares as far as we're concerned as fans.

Context is everything in this 'story'.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I could easily see how somebody could blow this far out of proportion.

Given what we know about Fertitta's prior business strategy, I would be shocked if he hasn't come in and taken command of marketing, concessions, entertainment etc., and run them like he has run his previous businesses. That doesn't mean he has slashed our scouting and video departments.

I'm not as down on him as others, he brought in CP3 and extended him, so I think he is willing to spend on the product, but I think he's also a pragmatic businessman.

jsilencio likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you take this Brian dude seriously you take the SEC guy seriously too.

amaru likes this.
  5. rockets13champs

Cutting costs from certain departments probably.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Streamline, efficiency, are all GREAT things when you consider the preliminary discussion/plans Tillman has mentioned regarding future Rockets training facility. He has big plans for a mixed entertainment & training facility. He's ramping up to build our team an amazing complex.

“I have no desire just to build a practice facility,” Fertitta said. “We would turn it into 100 percent some type of entertainment facility built around the practice and training facility. It will be an entertainment venue. The practice facility will be part of it. We will look at what’s the best place for us to put it so it’s convenient for our coaches and players and financially.”

https://houseofhouston.com/2017/11/23/houston-rockets-tilman-fertitta-seeking-new-practice-facility/

My original thought was he would build it near/around his new Post Oak luxury hotel. Just makes too much sense for a cross promoter like Tillman. Also, there is some empty plats on W 610 South @ Post Oak frontage right next Landry's HQ and his new hotel. Probably expensive as hell plats but he's got the connections and money to do something with them. A massive Landry's uptown complex that includes Rox training facility could be a lot of fun for fans.

MghtyPtrck likes this.
  7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

No, you idiot, I’m not saying to spend foolishly. Just that if you have a team so close to winning it all, you should be willing to make the investments needed to enhance those chances.

Cuts across departments” are worrisome, especially when its our investment in the analytics wing of the org that has helped us stay relevant over the past decade.

We gave away assets to duck under the tax this year. There is an opportunity cost with this decision.

I’m not saying the sky is falling, just that it’s triubling that the new owner of a team we’re all passionate about is in cost-cutting mode.

Ask Suns fans how they feel about Sarver. Didn’t re-sign Johnson, used picks to offload Kurt Thomas, all while Nash and DAntoni were on the precipice of a ring.

8. rockets13champs

We still aren’t any where near the top in attendance with having the 2nd best team in NBA last 2 years. Tilman really needs to learn from Cuban on how to run the business side of things

Stardog75 likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

First time typing?

smp and topfive like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Landry's Seafood House proudly announces new kitchen staff hires

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

TLDR; it's click bait

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They’re selling out this season. Actually they’re over selling at 100.7%. What more can he do besides add more seats

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Mobile typing...

14. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

We are talking about a very smart business man here..he already mentioned he was going to make BIG changes to Toyots center..he wasnt happy with the food and entertainment amenities etc..hes gonna do what he does best and that's cater..watch where that money goes..hes smart.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, this is really having a negative effect on all our lives.

IT'S A NIGHTMARE!!!

Killatron 2000 and napalm06 like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe. Trying to sell a $2.2B asset immediately would only create more problems, the most obvious of which is devaluing the asset. People may not jump to purchase something dollar-for-dollar that just sold at a record price.

From a pure business (not fan) perspective, Tilman would be smarter to hold and maximize cash flow, (unless he's TRULY financially screwed right now... in which case the doomsayers' greatest fantasies will come to pass.)

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah you might want to adjust the way your posting here. don't go down that road if you want the same in return. ill leave that part at that

did the rockets not get better getting rid of dead weight? are the rockets not back to being a true contender and the hottest team in the league since the break? Ill wait for those answers

Killatron 2000 and napalm06 like this.
  18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Death, Taxes, and GARM is gonna GARM

whiskeyred and napalm06 like this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I trust the direction as long as Morey is involved. If Morey jets, I'll join the constant whining club for sure.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilman is bringing a steak knife to a gun fight.

Der Rabbi likes this.