1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Geetar advice] PRS SE guitars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Dec 19, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I was looking at getting an epiphone les paul standard, so I tried one out last night along with a PRS SE. I didn't expect to instantly fall in love with the PRS, I liked the LP, but after playing the PRS I had no interest in it.

Anyone with experience with one of the SE line? Is it worth the extra $250(ish) it'll cost me, or am I better served buying the epi and fixing it up later?

For the visual: http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar-110005956-i3592171.gc

I want the blue one

http://www.amazon.com/Navarro-White...qid=1419007008&sr=8-1&keywords=prs+se+navarro

This is what I played last night.

Last question...anyone know the difference between the HFS pickups on the Dave Navarro and the regular pickups on the Custom 24?

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My understanding is HFS (Hot, Fat, Screams) is good for crunchier tones and not so much for clean tones.

I play a '98 PRS SE with the stock pick-ups. It's pretty good. I instantly noticed a huge difference between the tone of it compared to my previous Jackson Dinky guitar also with stock pick-ups playing both out of the same amp set-up.

I also love the action on my PRS. I have some issues keeping it in tune, though, with the locking tuners they used...mainly on the "G" string. I still prefer a Floyd Rose locking tremolo if I had the choice.

I couldn't tell you which guitar to go with, though. It basically comes down to personal choice. Buying guitars is worse than buying a new car imo. Way too many choices and you can't play them all.

1 person likes this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's the issue I have with my Fender Marauder right now -- staying in tune (especially the G string). All the reviews I've read said that PRS guitars generally stay in tune better than other brands. Arrrr.

Why must this be so damn taxing!

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

All I know is that I've wanted one for about 30 years... but I'm still just playing my old 79 Gibson SG Kalamazoo. Never had much interest in an epi but mostly because I've wanted a PRS and never could justify the cost, plus I do love my old SG.

5. Surfguy

All I know is I'm always wanting to buy a new guitar. It's like the changing of the seasons...I always get the itch every couple of months. I just never get around to pulling the trigger. I tend to de-justify buying a new guitar for a few reasons...mainly that it's just a hobby, I don't necessarily need a guitar that stays in tune (even though it is frustrating), I'm not serious or good enough to need a new guitar, I don't want to own another average guitar (meaning I would want to spend big bucks to get something a cut above), etc. . The tuning issues for me would only become an issue if I'm recording but I haven't been doing that lately. My guitar playing tends to consist of learning songs by ear and playing along with my favorite songs/artists as a way to let off steam...not actually practicing...lol. I've been salivating over the Alex Lifeson PRS signature guitar ever since it came out. But, that guitar is $4,000. Maybe some day I will pull the trigger. I always think a better guitar will make me practice more and, therefore, make me a better guitar player. But, it's also a matter of making the time for it. I would love to play in a Rush covers band and that would want to make me be better. But, I need a bassist (preferably, one who sings and plays keyboards, too) and a drummer (who can play like Neil Peart).

It's just a natural thing for any guitar player to constantly want to upgrade their guitar. It's the justification part that always gets me. Sometimes, I wish I could turn off my brain ("oh...shut up!") and just pull the trigger.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't be considering spending $700 on much of anything, but all I've really had are used or beginner level guitars.

I'd really like something that is my own, that's why I'm looking at new ones. There's a guy on craigslist trying to sell a PRS that's a few years old for $450, but I'd have to drive out to Pearland to try it -- and I'm not keen on having $500 in cash on me when meeting a stranger.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have a 2006 PRS SE semi hollow I bought in New York City from a friends shop, it was a special order. I haven't played it in years though, it just sits in it's bag in my guest room. When I played though it was a beautiful sound, really, really loved it. Just too busy to spend time with her any longer. I'm keeping her for later on down the rode though. I almost sold it to a member here but kind of glad I didn't.

1 person likes this.
  8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

How would you describe the tonal difference between the solid and semihollow?
    I was also looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PRS-Trampas-E...qid=1419014517&sr=8-1&keywords=prs+zach+myers

It's freaking gorgeous, I love the color. I just don't like the idea of owning a "signature version". I don't really want to spend $700 on a guitar that has someone else's name on it. (Paul Reed Smith's name withstanding...)

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

overseas guitars are insanely overpriced these days. wow.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

PRS SE's have always been around this price. They're also individually inspected in the US after they're made. I don't know, but it certainly felt like it blew the epiphone away (this was a $600 guitar).

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

30 years?!? Dude, bite that bullet and get it! In another 30 years, are you really going to miss the $1500-$5000 (depending on which one you want), or are you going to regret never buying your dream guitar??

12. Bandwagoner

They weren't even near that price when they came out. Which epiphone isn't overseas? Pretty sure the one you mentioned is made in china.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You would know better than I on the prices I suppose. I didn't mean to imply that it was an american epiphone or anything, it was definitely an import.

14. Bandwagoner

for comparison, what does a basic no frills american guitar cost now?

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

$1100+ I'm thinking. Way more than I have / need at this point.

16. Bandwagoner

Loads of good used guitars.

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4809936914.html

P90's, neck binding, lightweight. Would take that sucker all day over a korean import.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's lovely and all, but I already looked at Craigslist. Did you ever consider I don't like SGs or P90s? I'm guessing you didn't. That's why I'm specifically asking about a PRS...because that's what I want.

18. Surfguy

I was looking at the Carlos Santana PRS model. Seems like it is getting good reviews for an $800 guitar. Either that...or one of those newer Gibson guitars with mini-etune (~$1000-ish)...albeit that doesn't keep the guitar in tune in real-time but seems convenient nonetheless to auto-tune.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The thing keeping me from getting the Santana is kind of the same deal, I've read that the pickups aren't really good for a heavier rock sound. The stuff I play varies wildly, but I do like to go crazy every once and awhile. I anticipated having to switch out the pickups after I buy the guitar, but I certainly don't want to do it immediately -- especially considering the price.

20. Bandwagoner

Buy an overpriced import then.