1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Payton - Leader or Cancer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Joel, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Joel

Joel Member

Personally, I've always loved Payton’s game. Looking at the Bucks and the Sonics after the trade, it really makes you wonder.

The Sonics and 5 and 1 and making a very nice push toward a playoff spot with Allen leading the way. Meanwhile, the Bucks are taking a nosedive and look like they won't even make it in the horrific east with the resurgence of Orlando.

So the question is this - Payton: Leader or Cancer?

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hard to say. The Bucks are a mess. The Sonics are better, and Ray Allen is en fuego. Damn, I wish we'd got him (RA). Sure looks like he's worth whatever we would have had to pay, now.

Gary definately destroys weak egos. On the other hand, he's led the sonics to the finals, when teamed with a good big man, in spite of George Karl.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I sure looks like Seattle made a genius trade. I think the Bucks' problem is that they couldn't move Cassell. Now the chemistry is messed up.

4. carayip

carayip Member

I still think that Bucks got the better of the deal. I like Payton much more than Allen.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I've never thought Payton was a cancer. Most of your "stars" go through fits of disagreement with management, teammates, etc. when having been with a team for a long time. It just happens. They are the vocal leader, and they take that privelege to another level when they are upset.

But I would never accuse him of being bad for any team he's played for. Of course, he's only been in Mil. for a few days. Give it time. ;)

6. Live

Live Member

No, Payton's not a cancer, but he does dominate the ball (not on a Marbury-Francis level, however) and the lockerroom.

Apparently, his absence from Seattle has allowed others to come out of their shells a bit, both in terms of their games and personality. An article in Sunday's paper pointed out as much.

As for the Bucks, I only wonder if they have the same problem the Rocks have, i.e. 2 Gs who like to dominate the ball in Cassell & Payton. But I'll admit, I haven't seen 1 Bucks game since the trade, so I'm just pulling things out of the air.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

He's similar to Iverson... However he does at least attend practice.