1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garner waits for No. 5 to step up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fegwu, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Munro, Redding may have edge among Astros, but battle for spot is far from over

KISSIMMEE, FLA. - Righthander Tim Redding is counting on the competition, expecting it to bring out his best and lift him past Pete Munro, Carlos Hernandez and Brandon Duckworth for the fifth spot in the Astros' starting rotation.

Munro, the only competitor for the fifth spot who was on the Astros' postseason roster last year, expects his history of strong spring-training performances to help him land in the rotation.

Hernandez and Duckworth aren't conceding anything, and righthanded prospect Ezequiel Astacio has just enough zip in his slider, splitter and 96-mph fastball to have an outside chance to break camp with the major-league club.

Manager Phil Garner has something positive to say about all five, but he gives the slight edge early in camp to Munro with Redding a close second.

"Pete, he was the guy who emerged last year," Garner says. "Pete was in the fourth spot, and he was on our postseason roster. And a couple years ago, Redding did a real good job in the organization. They have a head start, but."

But Garner and general manager Tim Purpura promise the fifth spot will go to the man who pitches best in camp.

"They key's going to be effectiveness and ability to get us into the fifth, sixth inning in games," Purpura said. "That's going to be the challenge in the spring. As your other starters build up (innings), the innings decrease.

"I would say they have to prove their ability early and then extend it to later innings. The other thing that complicates it is that Duckworth, Munro, Redding are out of options."

Munro, Duckworth and Redding must be put through waivers and made available to all clubs if they don't crack the 25-man roster. That would appear to give them an edge over Hernandez and Astacio, who can be dropped back to the minors without being lost to other teams.

Yet, Garner says minor-league options will not weigh in favor of anybody in his decision. Purpura agrees and takes it a bit further when asked if Munro, Duckworth and Redding would have an edge over the lefthanded Hernandez if all the numbers were the same at the end of camp.

"In a way, (Hernandez) gives you more flexibility (because he's a lefthander)," Purpura said.

Hernandez and Duckworth appear confident about their chances. Munro and Redding, at least publicly, are a bit more confident.

"It's my spot to lose," said Munro, who was 4-7 with a 5.15 ERA over 19 starts and two relief appearances last year. "I think they kind of showed confidence to put me on the playoff roster. I feel like if I throw like I can throw it's my spot to lose.

"But, I have to fight like everyone else. If I go in and just give it up, it's not going to be me."

Munro also can pitch out of the bullpen, giving himself another avenue to make the team. Last year, former manager Jimy Williams handed Redding the fifth spot before camp started. That decision was based on the solid 10-14 record and 3.68 ERA Redding posted in 2003. By July 1, Redding had been dropped to the bullpen after 14 starts.

Redding had a 10.57 ERA in his first four starts last season before recovering in May with a 1.72 ERA in his next five starts. He struggled again and went 0-3 with a 7.88 ERA in June to lose his job. By Aug. 11, he was at Class AAA New Orleans.

With Munro, Hernandez, Duckworth and Astacio in the mix, Redding understands he cannot afford to relax this spring. And he loves it.

"I'm better competing for something than having it given to me," Redding says." I have to be full-bore. When I start relaxing, I don't pitch well. I'm just going to win it. I'm not going to lose it. I'm taking it. That's my mindset."

Redding and Duckworth are in similar situations. Talent-wise, they have what it takes to be special. There is not one person in the Astros' organization who does not rave about Redding's "stuff." The Phillies had a similar opinion about Duckworth before unloading him on the Astros in the Billy Wagner trade in 2003.

"When you talk about (Duckworth) and Redding, (you talk about) great stuff," Garner says. "If they pitch ahead with good location, they can have great success."

Before the shoulder surgery that forced him to sit out the 2003 season, Hernandez's repertoire was impressive. He once had a 94-mph fastball and a solid curveball, which tended to be up in the zone last season as he struggled with his arm slot.

Hernandez, 25, was 1-3 with a 6.43 ERA over nine starts after being called up from New Orleans last Aug. 11. He was 9-4 with a 3.60 ERA at New Orleans despite not throwing a fastball above 85 mph for much of the year. Hernandez rarely hit 90 mph last September. It usually would take Hernandez at least a couple of innings before his shoulder loosened up enough for him to throw in the high 80s.

Garner is high on Hernandez, though. If Hernandez can get his arm slot in order with his elbow higher instead of flat, Garner and Purpura are betting Hernandez will regain some of the pop on his fastball. If that's the case, Hernandez will give the other competitors something to sweat about this spring.

Astros summary

Ease up, Roger
    Roger Clemens takes his workouts seriously, setting an example with his intensity.

Such was the case Saturday morning when manager Phil Garner found the need to ask Clemens not to push it too much running around the bases.

At 42, Clemens still sets the pace during drills for guys a decade or two younger.

"Actually, over on one field, I watched Roger's group run, and I thought Roger was running too hard this early," Garner said. "I said, 'Make sure to remind him I told him 50 percent when you're running the bases.' I really don't want the first four or five days to be that tough.

"We were doing baserunning as one of our fundamentals and what you would think about when you run the bases, and we actually ran the bases a little bit. I really just wanted 50 percent just for (working) on the tracks and try to hit the base with your left foot on the front of the pillow and not on the pillow. It's not a conditioning drill, and Roger was running pretty hard."

Clemens, Russ Springer, Pete Munro, Brandon Duckworth and Fernando Nieve were in Clemens' group and drew special mention from Garner for their running.

"Those guys never run the bases, so it's not critical for them," Garner said.

Change of pace
    Closer Brad Lidge, who has a dominant fastball-slider combination, worked on a change-up this winter.

"I used to throw it when I started in the minor leagues," Lidge says of his change-up. "It hasn't been that long since I've thrown it. I still feel like I have a good concept of what I need to do."

Lidge doesn't need a change-up, but Phil Garner won't dissuade him from throwing it as long as he doesn't shy away from his strengths.

"Always reinvent yourself," Garner says. "Never sit on what you have. We're going to work on lots of things. Not lots, a couple of different things. The change-up is one of them. He's a power pitcher. He doesn't have to have a change-up."

Three sign contracts
    The Astros have signed one-year contracts with three of the players under their control — lefthander Mark McLemore, center fielder Willy Taveras, and shortstop Tommy Whiteman. All three signed split contracts with the major-league minimum $316,000.

McLemore, who has an outside chance of making the Astros' bullpen this spring, was 7-7 with a 3.66 ERA in 37 appearances (14 starts) at Class A Salem. McLemore, 24, threw one complete game and also recorded six saves.

Taveras, 23, won the 2004 Texas League batting crown after hitting .335 (137-for-409) with two home runs and 27 RBIs at Class AA Round Rock last season.

"He can play center field with anybody in the majors right now," manager Phil Garner says of Taveras, who will get a good luck this spring even though he still might need seasoning.

Taveras led the Texas League in stolen bases with 55. He appeared in 10 games for the Astros in 2004 and went 0-for-1 with two runs scored and one stolen base.

At this point, Taveras appears headed back to Round Rock, which will move up the Class AAA this season.

Whiteman, 25, hit a combined .320 (120-for-375) with eight home runs and 54 RBIs in 93 combined games between Class AAA New Orleans and Class AA Round Rock in 2004.

Nice gesture
    Only nine days since he signed a two-year, $16.9 million contract, Roy Oswalt picked up most of the $1,000 entry fee in a bunting competition among the pitching groups this spring.

All four groups will compete during bunting practice. Points will be given for execution, and the winning group will be determined before exhibition games start March 3.

"Whoever has the most points by March 2 wins the pot," Oswalt said. "I picked up most of it, but I've got a bunch of younger guys in my group. I know what $100 means when you're not making that much money."

Standing out
    Non-roster invitee and righthanded pitcher Travis Driskill has caught manager Phil Garner's attention during drills.

"Driskill is never going to be accused of running too hard," Garner said. "His feet kind of go like this (duck waddle). He was giving a good effort. Let's put it that way, and don't make that out to be mean: One (of Driskill's feet) is more exaggerated than the
    other."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3048339

2. Fegwu

This is just depressing - the mention of Duckworth, Munro and Redding as our possible 5th starters.

I was getting excited about our season but now I don't know any more.

To make matters worse, they are projecting start Taveras in Class AAA roundrock. So we start center field with Palmero/Biggio/Lane combination? Reality has hit home now - I did not anticipate it would be this bad.

Why can't just trade away Redding? His alleged stuff could buoy someone out there right?

I hope we Start Taveras in centerfield and Astacio or Hernadez as the 5th starter. At least if we are going to suck, I will take it better with those guys.

PS. Does the word or name Purpura produce negative vibes for you? It does for me - maybe it is because there has not been much to celebrate since he was named GM save for maybe Clemens.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

IMO, Its Hernandez's job to lose (sorry Munro).

The key with him is not how fast he throws, but his location. When he'd struggle last year, it was because he was wild in the zone, and he'd end up walking far too many guys.

But, when he'd challenge guys, especially with the curveball, he'd get them out.

Plus, I'm not too worried about the 5th spot... because as soon as somebody falters, they're gonna call Astacio up. He's got great stuff... the kind of stuff that's not going to get much better pitching at AAA.

4. Fegwu

Do you know if he played winter ball?

Why can't we trade Redding? I saw other teams around the ML that moved equal or lesser talent......at least it seemed that way.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

No one is going to trade for Redding at this point. All he has proven is that he has potential but can't get the job done. In addition, if he fails to make the team, we can't send him back to the minors....he has to be released....and then if someone is so desperate to have him, they can have him for nothing.

6. NJRocket

I agree that Carlos has the best chance....I dont necessarily think he is so much better than the others...but all things equal...he's a lefty.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I like Redding's attitude.

8. NJRocket

what about his stuff? what do u think of his STUFF?;)

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He'd make a hell of a reliever. ;)

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Coming off Redding's 2003 performances down the stretch in a pennant race, I was sold on him. Now, I'll wait for him to show he's got something. Words are pretty meaningless. At least Munro you can count on not to embarrass himself out there, even if he's not very good.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

ESPN 790 is reporting that Redding said if he is not the 5th starter he wants to be traded.

12. NJRocket

perfect out......release the hound

13. Fegwu

Wow!

14. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Because he did such a hell of a job last year to deserve a starting spot. :rolleyes:

15. msn

msn Member

Clueless little headcase. He'd make the perfect Cub. First he asks for $1.25 FREAKING MILLION after underachieving for three years, then he publicly demands a trade in the likely event that some other AAA scrub beats him out of the the 5th starter spot.

Timmah, my advice to you is: watch your game film and ask yourself whether or not you suck. Pay particular attention to the "OMG I'm going to PISS MY PANTS!!!" look in your eyes the moment one person reaches base.

16. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

He needs to realize he is Tim Redding and NOT Roger Clemens. He is 0.10 a dozen pitcher at best. Cut him yesterday. :mad:

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again,the Astros have decided to pick their #5 starter out of a collection of players who are injured,over the hill,or just don't have the talent.I'm tired of seeing them trot out a batting practice pitcher every fifth day and hoping we put up a touchdown.If Drayton is serious about winning,he'll go get what we need.Our margin of error just doesn't allow for this philosophy.This is a team that will win with pitching and defense.
    If Hernandez was 80-90% of what he was before the injury,that would be great,but the fact is Carlos's velocity has drastically decreased,leaving him a shell of the pitcher he was.
    As far as Redding goes,Tim came into the league with an overinlated opinion of himself and has proceeded to produce squat.I seriously doubt that he has the mental makeup to succeed at this level.Redding's stuff is O.K.,not anything to write home about.Toss in a lack of control,and I don't even want him in long relief.this is a relationship that should have been severed long ago when we could have got something for him.Why not try to package him in a deal for a setup guy(even though Harville should eventually be that guy) as his upside is not too high IMO.There are other clubs that like him so ship him out.
    Munro is an excellent long reliever and spot starter.
    Astacio looks promising,but he's probably a year away.
    It's time for the Stros to clean up the staff,as it will be our strength this year.Besides,pitching and defense are the keys to winning championships.We don't need holes.

18. msn

msn Member

I agree with your entire take except this. His stuff is awesome--every scout in the Astros' system has said so, and so have representatives from the dozen or so organizations which inquired about his availability over the last few years. That said, you're right on about his control and no mental makeup. Headcase. Just listen to his postgame interviews and you're scratching your head thinking, "is this guy playing with a full deck?"

19. NJRocket

Saying a guy has good stuff but no head is the same thing as saying a guy is a great practice pitcher...but he cant cut it when the lights are on. Frankly, having good stuff is nice if you are 20 yrs old in AAA.....having good stuff and nothing else after 4 years in the big leagues is useless. Get rid of him.

20. msn

msn Member

Agreed. I'm no advocate of sacrificing a spot on the 40-man, which could be used to protect a Bobby Abreu or Johann Santana, for the likes of Redding.