1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game plan change? (Bynum)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by megastahr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

So I am sitting here absorbing all the latest Dwightmare information. Then going over the different scenarios that haven't played out and still could play out.

Something struck me...maybe with the recent play of our rookies Morey has backed off the Dwight front. Not openly and not completely, but maybe he is no longer making a all or nothing push for him that he once was.

First, since summer league ended there has been many interviews by Morey including the one that came out I believe yesterday. ( http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2012/07/24/ZOOM0001MOV-2165457/index.html ) Where he seemed to respond almost nonchalantly in regard to making that big move for a superstar this off season. Stating that we are always looking for that move but we feel comfortable about where we are at. Also, when asked about his off season he has stated that he thinks that the team has positioned itself well to accquire that player in free agency or trade.

See also: Daryl Morey: @dmorey
    Finally, we have top5 cap room this yr&next along with multiple 1st round picks (1 a guaranteed lottery pick) to add players&keep improving

And as referenced by Bimathug ( http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2913/houston-rockets-salary-cap-2/ ) The rockets could have almost 30 million available next off season.

So I decided to explore the upcoming free agent market to see who we could possibly sign.... ( http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013 ) And who's name sticks out?

Andrew Bynum...yes there are a few others (Josh Smith) but Bynum is the guy....and you guessed it he is a restricted free agent.

Remember, we were mentioned as a possible trade partner with LA to get Bynum in order to help facilitate the trade for Howard. The reason for this is because Bynum might be willing to make Houston home for the foreseeable future. Several sources have gone on record saying that Bynum would consider resigning with Houston but not the Magic.

Bill Ingram ‏@TheRocketGuy
    We've been told Bynum might actually re-up in Houston, while Dwight repeatedly says he won't ....

I realize this is hoopsworld...but it was just the one I could find but there were several.

The point is...the magic have backed off trades when it looked like they had offers, that included more than enough assets, from a couple of teams including the rockets. I actually heard it reported by, I believe, Jonathan Feigen that Morey felt that he had multiple scenarios that would satisfy Orlando even if they got both Asik and Lin.

Cybrex reported that Orl Gm was in love with Jeremy lamb...

Ok so whats my point? What if the end game has changed. What if the revelation that they have a legit chance at Bynum in free agency has changed how much Morey is willing to give up in trade? That they can accquire that Elite Big man and Superstar without trading the farm.

The Rockets will have Top 5 cap room (according to him) in 2013...and have multiple high end draft picks to facilitate a S n T or to add additional stars. Morey may have fallen in love with Donuts and Lamb just like Orl Gm and each of us.

The Rockets may genuinely be able to accquire Bynum either in the 3 way deal with ORL or in a S n T at the end of the season with LA. Bynum has already said he is willing to sign here...and I think he is a upset at LAs attempts to trade him. I believe that is a bridge that is unrepairable. Sort of like the Lamar Odom fiasco.

So after watching the rookies play I believe its not longer all or nothing on Dwight. If we can add Bynum while at least keeping Lamb and Donuts. We could be on the verge of something great. I think morey sees this and has acted accordingly.

2. megastahr

this was supposed to be unrestricted if any mods can edit I would appreciate it. I cannot edit.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Bynum is not going to take a $30 million paycut to leave the Lakers for the Rockets. If you want Bynum, you need to trade for him.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey want offer as much for Bynum in a 3 way as he would for Howard straight up. The Lakers have nothing to offer for ORL. No cap space, no picks and ORL don't want Bynum.

It's Howard or bust simply because that's the best deal for ORL.

5. megastahr

Also, worth a mention is the fact that we signed all of our rookies...I think almost destroying all of orlandos trade leverage with other teams.

I believe now...morey wants to offer picks maybe 2 or 3 of morris, patterson, jones...eat cap space but nothing more. To facilitate the 3 team trade. If ORL wont accept then Morey will go after Bynum in the off season while everyone else is chasing Howard. :cool:

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Jeremy Lamb hasn't signed yet.

7. megastahr

But if we wont offer up a big package who will Orlando have to leverage other teams with? So far its only us and Cleveland willing to offer anything feasible...and I believe we have lowered our bid as of late.

Orlando will have to trade Howard or risk getting a trade exception and maybe a couple future picks from the team he signs with next year.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Actually, Orlando DOES want Bynum. He's the player they're most interested in, seeing as he's the second best center in the league. But it's a deal breaker if he comes to town without an extension.

9. megastahr

really 610 sucks...they said this morning we signed all of our rookies.

10. The Cat

The Lakers won't be going after Howard next offseason because they don't have cap room and won't be allowed to do sign and trades, either. Their entire focus will be on re-signing Bynum, and everything we've ever heard from Bynum tells us he's about the money. Expecting him to turn down $30 million to sign in Houston is an awful plan, and I can guarantee you that's not what Daryl Morey is planning.

11. megastahr

I said that ... the reason La cant do a straight up deal is because bynum WONT sign with Orlando...so bynum to orlando has already been taken off the table.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

They wanted a Bynum that will agree to sign an extention and Bynum isn't signing one. He wants a 5 year deal just like Howard. If ORL really wanted Bynum he'd be a Magic last week.

13. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

I thinking waiting for Bynum also has a bit of risk mitigation built into it as well. You afford yourself the opportunity to truly see the condition of the player that you are acquiring. You get the chance to gauge the success of the off season experimental knee surgery.

Might be a great approach but you cant close your eyes on the other options that are available.

14. megastahr

I don't believe that is the case...I believe that Howard to LA is inevitable. But if he does hit free agency I think we are in play. Thats why I mentioned S n T... La learned first hand what its like to roster a player not happy...I think its a possibility.

15. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I don't agree with this premise. To me Morey is dancing a beautiful tango. Recent play of rookies in summer league is not a surprise to Morey. He knew what he was getting because he had the data to support it.

This is the prime definition of posturing. (ORL doesn't like what we offer; ORL "will" hold on to DH; HOU - I raise you with "we like our Rooks")

Look ORL --> hold on to DH and your albatross of poison contracts. We, the Rockets, do have an alternative to grow without DH.

There are also several sources that have rebuffed that notion.

Ha ha... Bill Ingram? I will type no further...

If Morey wanted Bynum the trade would have been consummated already. Why risk the chance that he may sign with another team.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bynum hasn't said anything. Agent said there was and is no such list.

Bridge irreparable? Ha doubtful. Is that why they are talking about an extension?(Although Bynum might prefer to wait until the end of the year.)

Bynum isn't likely to hit FA.

17. The Cat

If Howard-to-LA is inevitable, it'll either involve Houston as the third team (getting Bynum) or another third team (Cleveland?) that has been given assurances from Bynum's camp that he's open to staying.

Sign-and-trades for star players don't happen unless the team is convinced the asset is willing to leave them for nothing. Otherwise, they'll call their bluff. For example, if Bynum goes to Cleveland and gives them assurances he'll stay, they're going to have a hard time believing that he'll turn down $30 million to leave for Houston. Maybe it would change if the Rockets make a great offer - but if that's the case, why not do the deal now?

If the Rockets are going to acquire Howard or Bynum, it's going to be by trade.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

Per the new CBA teams can no longer receive a players bird rights (5th year) through sign and trade starting next off season. Meaning Howard still loses $30 even with SnT making it ineffective.

What we could do is trade Howard before the deadline and have a third team throw picks and young players to us for Bynum.

19. Toast

Toast Member

I heard it here first! :rolleyes:

20. megastahr

please provider source