1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 3 "Adjustments"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidRocket, Apr 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Through 2 games, the Harden and the Rockets have responded well to the schemes that Carlisle has thrown at them.

If the Rockets can remain focused on the big picture and realize the importance of taking game 3 to go up 3-0, that would go a long way in all but literally snapping the proverbial necks of the Mavs.

What do you guys think we will see Carlisle scheme up for game 3?

More importantly, what can/will the Rockets do?

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

No love for McHale?

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seriously. He has completely out coached the supposed master Carlisle.

I'm not sure what the mavs can do better. Even if Rondo gets his s*** together, I don't see how they can get back in this series. There's not many more adjustments the Rockets need to make. Keep defending Dirk away from the basket and keep creating mismatches in the paint. Poor Tyson Chandler is all on his own down there. There ain't a damn thing he can do. The mavs made the decision to stop Harden and it's completely backfiring. As long as the Rockets keep taking what the mavs give them, this will be over in no more than 5. If the Rockets try to force too much to happen, things could get interesting.

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I dont like mchale but he's held his own against carlisle so far and thats all i can ask. He's certainly doing a way better job this series than he did last year.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agreed. He's doing the pretty obvious thing by attacking Monta and Dirk's poor defense. It works well with Smith because Smith has better vision than Jones to make the correct pass/shot when Chandler rotates over.

I expect Carlisle to stop pressuring Harden so much and force him to make his shots. Dallas needs to try something differen, and see if MVP Harden will show up. Our second unit got outhustled and outrebounded badly by Dallas's. Aminu did a great job and we need a counter for his energy.

6. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I did not intentionally leave out McHale. I lumped McHale in with the "rest of the Rockets".

But yes, I give McHale a lot of credit thus far.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Keep that Pick 'n' Roll in our pocket and only show it if we need it. I loved that we went away from it last game almost completely. It's a dominant play for us, but we shouldn't let teams learn how to beat it. Pocket it as long as possible. Having the variety on offense makes us dangerous.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Gonna be interesting on what coach will do to try to get Ariza or Jones more involved. Loved what Smoove did in the 2nd half but will need contributions on the offensive end from Ariza and TJ from the gate. Game 3 is one you dont want to give the Mavs any confidence.

9. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I'm going to be a Devil's Advocate here and ask an honest question here. I give McHale credit for sure.

But is it really McHale's doing that they attacked Monta and Dirk per se? Or was Josh and Dwight just taking over in their 2-man game?

10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

One adjustment that the Rockets can do is to make their point blank layups and open 3s. Too many gimmes were wasted early on last night.

Open 3s are a bit more difficult to "control" (outside of Terry), but they should fall at a better clip for Ariza.

But the layups? come on....those absolutely have to be finished.

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I don't know, Carlisle seems to be off his game a little bit. Why did he go to Dirk and Amare duo for so long in the 4th quarter? They were destined to suck on defense. And why didn't he play Aminu more minutes? He looked a little scary for the few minutes he was in. I was sure he'd play bigger minutes in crunch time, but that wasn't the case.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No adjustments are needed, Josh Smith should play like the second half in last game. He need take a few three, passes more to Howard.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

can't remember, but when Aminu was on the bench, was that after the Rockets were already at a double digit lead in the 4th where it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think the Mavs are going to dare Harden to beat them from outside.

Rockets have to get better on the glass.

15. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

No Chandler Parsons for the first round

16. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

So that means the Mavs for the most part would not change their scheme from game 2 correct?

Because last night they collapsed the middle whenever Harden even thought about driving. They dared him to make his step-backs and he didn't knock them down.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

McHales biggest move was playing Capella instead of Dorsey

every minute Dorsey has been on the bench is a + for the team

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The coach didn't stop it. He didn't mess up a good thing. That's coaching for you. In game 1, Carlisle got a lead because his star point guard got them a lead. He benched him to pass him a message and I think Rondo got it based on his game 2 performance. That's coaching. The dictator looks like an idiot right now and the lackadaisical McHale is smoove sailing his way thru games.

19. rocketblood713

Hope Harden adjusts his shooting

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

How's TJones doing?