1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future For Republicans Is Not So Bad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by redlawn, Nov 18, 2012.

1. redlawn

redlawn Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...fd8212-319f-11e2-bfd5-e202b6d7b501_story.html

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I largely agree with the article that things aren't so bad for the Republican party and all things being equal they could still take the Senate in 2014 and recapture the presidency in 2016. One big problem with the Republican party though is that not only do they need to reform is that they need to stop believing their own hype. I am still shocked that Romney campaign actually thought that they not only were going to win but were going to win in an popular and electoral landslide. To me that shows me that the leader of the party was as clueless about as many Clutchfans posters. That over confidence is one reason why I think there is so much recrimination in the party.

In many ways the party needs to quit being the party of against science, and I don't mean that to say that just in regards to issues like Evolution or Global Warming but that too much of the Republican ideology is driven by faith, and I am not talking about just religious faith. The perfect example was the belief that practically all of the polls were wrong leading up to the last election.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Jon Huntsman 2016 should save the party

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I wonder why so many conservatives just ignore facts (or generally accepted science theories) when they are not to their liking?

Evolution, climate change, polling results just to name a few. Flat earth and earth center were the beliefs of the conservatives in the past as well.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, though it wasn't just that they believed. There were organizations set up around perpetuating the myths. FOX News, unskewed polls, were two examples.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not a quote unquote conservative
    but . . . change in beleifs and ideas should be slow
    For every climate change theory . . .they is a phrenologist theory

I don't worry about such things too much . . . .
    things will progress as they should

Rocket River

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Is he running as a Democrat?

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

They will cave-in on immigration and capture the latino vote on social issues. That's they ONLY way repubs are going to take the whitehouse in 2016.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Things can never get too bad for the opposition of the ruling party in a 2-party system. If they are ineptly run, the Republicans might get replaced by another, better-run party. But, the presidential race will always be competitive in the long-run because of the structure of the system, despite any short-run landslide races we may see. A party with too small a share will make enough concessions to broaden its membership, while a party with too large a share will have in-fighting that'll push fringe beneficiaries out to consolidate the power for those in the party core. So I have no doubt the Republican Party (or something like it) will be back as strong as ever, certainly within 4 years, and maybe 2.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lKi_Ce0c6FU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trying to figure out why Martinez, Rubio and Sandoval are going to help with Hispanic outreach in 2016 more than they do in 2012. They are already in office in 2012, already speaking at the GOP Convention and for the GOP candidate, and are already Hispanic in 2012, too. Maybe if one of them gets the nomination and really moves the GOP's policies and rhetoric in a different direction.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you have to continue to move sooo far right to get the Republican nomination that you make Atilla the Hun blush, you're not going to win in the general election.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Rubio interview highlights from GQ...

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, it takes a scientist to give a non-ridiculous answer here, man.

15. Classic

Classic Member

He'd never get the nomination. He's a little too....normal.

16. rtsy

rtsy Member

I would say Attila the Hun was a believer in big government. He would be much closer to Obama than say Gary Johnson or Ron Paul.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Until the Republican Party rids itself of the well funded extremist minority that influences it all out of proportion to their numbers, the GOP will continue to die of a thousand self-inflicted wounds.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Rubio honestly is not that impressive in interviews and while speaking. He has some serious issues to address prior to becoming the annointed one. He is not Mexican (Cuban) and I think is is somewhat naive to believe that he will appeal to all Hispanics... further, he has lied about how his family came to the USA and also has some serious policy issues that could cost him votes.

I would not put it past the Republicans to go and get a minority candidate believing that is enough to cover up 45 years of policy.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bRnEt20VD6s/T-2wOtPXgDI/AAAAAAAACXM/5nVb--ArphA/s1600/super-r****d.jpg

Keep 'em coming, Superman.......

20. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Rubio needs to learn the difference between theories and fact, or else sooner or later, he'll be saying that in fact air does not exist (have you ever seen air?) and that what we are breathing is magical heaven dust. See? That's a theory too.

But anyway, Jon Huntsman for 2016!