1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Furious George] Melo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by burnshroom, Dec 22, 2016.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

An excerpt from an upcoming book from former Melo coach George Karl called "Furious George".

Reading this is humorous when seeing the many comparisons made of James vs Melo. I think a lot of what James has done thus far THIS SEASON might make it a moot point the way he has been playing and his attention on the defensive side of the floor being a bit more focused. However, I don't know if I ever have seen James as a guy who needs the spotlight as well as the fact that James has shown that he can defend. I don't know if I have ever see Melo play Defense.

PhiSlamma15 and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a great excerpt, and obviously kind of just confirms what most everyone already knows about Anthony

mikol13 likes this.
  3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nothing we didn't already know/suspect, but I instantly thought of Jeremy Lin in NY when I read this.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did George Karl write this chapter while having a drink with Mike D'Antoni?

5. Mr. Space City

Carmelo's dad died of cancer when he was 2.

For Karl to bring that up in his book to trash Melo is a low blow that only a trash human would do.

amaru, CK Johnson and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure Id put faith in a George Karl written book... even though it seems true on the surface.

ooooaaaah! likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe what he says about Melo but George Karl might live in a glass house.

macho GRANDE, mikol13 and ooooaaaah! like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He should know that he can't use the term Posse in this day and age**.

*not serious

**semi-serious

***100% serious

Easy likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not even that mad at Melo, because he was never on a team good enough to contend. Maybe if he had a decent piece or two around him for once he would have tried a little harder. But apparently he cant stand to share the spotlight... with who, even? Andre Miller?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Just when Melo was getting done of answering Phil Jackson questions.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Iverson and Billups.

I don't understand why people keep saying Melo never has a good team. The Denver teams under George Karl were very good. They were consistently 50+ win teams over many years. Melo chose to force a trade to a much worse Knicks team. And as many people have pointed out in the past, he could have just waited for FA to sign with the Knicks. Instead, he forced a trade so that the Knicks would have to deplete their assets to get him. After that move, I no longer believed Melo has any motivation for winning basketball.

I have zero sympathy for Carmelo Anthony's being "stuck" with the Knicks. He made his own bed, apparently doing so happily.

That said, Karl throwing his former players under the bus like that is not cool.

14. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Probably referring to Iverson back in Denver around 2008?

15. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

The last time he played D was probably back in 2009 on Kobe in the WCF. He was pretty good actually when he actually tried.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. And then turning down contenders in FA (including what was then an up and coming Rockets team with James and Dwight) to re-sign with the hapless Knicks.

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

And honestly, how it was used here I doubt it will be disingenuous.

How Phil used it related to a group of professionals, that are actually business men in the league with other players as agents, seemed belittling. JR and some round the way friends that hung out with him back in the day, as he was just coming into the league then and just getting his money...

But I don't know. Let me be quiet before I hurt some sensibilities in this PC age.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, takes one to know one.

[​IMG]

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's pretty trashy of him to **** talk Anthony publically like that in a book.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

If he doesn't provide the juicy stuff, how's he gonna sell books? Nobody's reading George Karl's memoirs of NBA offense. It's not like Phil hasn't talked about all the stuff going on between Kobe/Shaq or even Jordan's fights with teammates.