1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FSN] Minute Maid Park 10th anniversary bracket challenge (a travesty)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Anybody else catching this segment during games? They've put together a bracket of all the greatest moments in MMP history, and are seeing which one wins.

I believe they've chosen 8... included in that are the Burke HR, the Ausmus HR (from the same game), and a walkoff hit by Bagwell after he came back from injury. They've also included the 2004 HR derby and Ausmus' HR in his final game (weak).

However, excluded from this bracket may be the single greatest MOMENT ever at that ballpark... Jeff Kent's walkoff HR in the 2004 NLCS. Are you freaking kidding me?!? We're talking about a time where this team had never won a pennant, and were locked in a game/series that looked as tough as ever to win, and this one single defining moment put you within one game of going to the World Series.

At the time, there had never been a single MOMENT, likely in Houston sports history, that was as riveting, awe-strking, cheer out loud pandamonium as that HR. Elie's kiss of death 3 comes a close second, followed by Eddie Johnson's buzzer beater. However, Kent's was bigger given that the Astros hadn't been to the World Series before, and had frankly never won a game like that in their history (a nailbiter in the playoffs). Plus there's the inherent drama and unpredictability that playoff baseball carries with it... much more than the NBA or NFL has (where you can sometimes see a great play developing, and there's been back and forth action all game).

I just couldn't believe that they chose not to include this moment... as I guarantee you if it involved Bagwell, Biggio, Ausmus, or Berkman instead of Kent... it would not only be included, but they wouldn't even need to have a contest for it. Hell, they have TWO Ausmus HR's, yet they don't even have Biggio's 3000th hit.

Okay, rant over...

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That was the greatest Houston sports moment that I have seen in person, by far. I had SRO tickets and was standing behind the Crawford Boxes. The Juice Box absolutely exploded when it happened. Everyone there felt in his heart that the Astros were going to the World Series.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I was there too and I still get goosebumps thinking of that homer. I can still "feel" the roar of the crowd and the absolute craziness that ensued. Quite simply, one of the greatest experiences I have ever had.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Aahh... makes sense.

Apparently, the Kent HR is in region 4 of the bracket.

That makes it 16 individual moments in MMP history being voted on, and they're only doing regions 1 and 2 now.

Actually, looking at the way they set it up, Kent's HR is a shoe-in to make it to the final 4... along with Biggio's 3000th hit, Burke's HR, and probably Bagwell's game-winning hit the night Daryle Kile died.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ausmus final game homerun made the bracket and Kent's walkoff didnt???? WOW! Who the hell came up with that bracket????? Hell I would have put Carlos Lee's walkoff grandslam in the Biggio 3,000 hit game ahead of that. Weak.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'm guessing you are the type that likes to talk more than listen.

8. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Ausmus' homer in the 9th with 2 outs in the NLDS. It doesnt get any better than that!

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So did my post of the actual events that will be voted on go completely over your head?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Does Pujols homer count for something?

That game kicked ass. We were one game away. Down 0-2 coming home, and winning the next three. We had the mo going to St. Louis.

Looking at a boxscore, it says Brandon Backe gave up one hit, and two walks?

Damn!

11. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Jeff Kent's walk off homerun is BY FAR the most exciting moment in Minute Maid.

12. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

The Burke homerun was great don't get me wrong. but kent's was the best.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The coolest moment I remember is Carlos Beltran catching consecutive fly balls while running up Tal's Hill. That was ridiculous.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not just in MMP history, but likely the most exciting single defining MOMENT in Houston sports history. (with moment being defined as a single play/event that happens during the course of a game that causes pure euphoria... championship seasons don't count as "moments").

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought the double play to end game 4 in 2005 (Bruntlett to Everett to Berkman) was likely the best defensive play there... given the game situation and magnitude.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is probably my favorite play in Astros history. I watch that thing and still can't believe they turned it. With the commentator saying, "they won't get 2 here..." as the ball is hit in play.

The Ausmus homer to tie the 18 inning game in the 9th was the most incredible...so unlikely...so timely. Jeff Kent hit homeruns all the time...this was Brad Ausmus, for goodness sake. I was there watching it when it happened and vividly remember the umpire giving the homerun signal and absolutely freaking out....the place was stunned by it.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was incredible... but it was a year after I had seen the Kent HR.

My reaction was still just like yours... total pandemonium... but it wasn't to the degree I had the year before when Kent did something that had never happened in an Astros playoff game before (a walkoff clutch HR that puts them within 1 game of the pennant). If the Kent HR had happened after the Ausmus HR, the situations would have likely been reversed in my mind.

In many ways, that first moment (the Kent HR), changed an ideology/image that had stuck with the Astros for all of their heartbreaking playoff losses (almost like a curse-breaker, even though they lost the series)... and after that, each subsequent moment (the Berkman grand slam, the Ausmus HR, the Burke HR, the double play, the Berkman HR in game 5...before Pujols) simply added to the "playoff mystique" that had now since developed at MMP.

Long forgotten were the days of Biggio/Bagwell/Bell failing against superior pitching, Walt Weiss, Kevin Brown, STERLING HITCHCOCK, Jim Leyritz, John Smoltz, etc.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Oh, I understand. I went crazy for that hit too. And I don't mean to sound like i'm downplaying it at all.

The Ausmus HR was more impressive to me because it was out of nowhere. He had hit like 3 all season long....and then hits that one with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with nobody on when you had to have it. People were picking up their things getting ready to leave when he hit that pitch. And it just BARELY got over that line. :)

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Kent's homer run is #1.

My number #2 "moment" was Berkmans 7th inning homerun in game 5 vs St. Louis. Astros were down 2-1 in the game going against their ace Carpenter and Berkman hit a three run homer into the Crawford Boxes. I was jumping more at that moment than I think any other because I was sure the Astros were going to win the series right there. Poo-holes had something to say two innings later.

20. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Just reading through this thread has given me goosebumps. The 2004 and 2005 seasons were some of the best times.

2005 NLCS Game 4- the double play
    2005 NLCS Game 5- Berkman's 3 run home run
    2005 NLDS Game 4- Berkman's grand slam
    2005 NLDS Game 4- Ausmus's home run
    2005 NLDS Game 4- Burke's home run
    2005 NLCS Game 6- Oswalt's first inning strike out of Pujols ( in St. Louis)

I could go on and on. I didnt even get to the 2004 season.

Back to the point of the thread- I have not looked at the bracket, but one of the best moments for me personally, was having Bagwell and Biggio out there together after Biggio got his 3000 hit.

It was probably the best "non winning a game a type" moment. The emotion of the hit plus having Bagwell out there. Just an amazing night. I was so glad that I was there.