1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH] We're Trying to Get a Bat

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketman95, Aug 26, 2005.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also, you want to know why I am using a small sample size (139 at bats) yet you use an incredibly small sample size to justify Lawton over Burke with respect to RISP.

GMs have to ask themselves how a player is currently performing and will that performance help the team enough to invest money and players in acquiring that player. Based on Lawton's last 6 weeks, not a lot of GMs thought enough of him to block his waivers. Just think ,EVERY National League team passed on him and most EVERY American League team passed on him as well in order for the Yankees to be able to claim him on waivers and then work out a trade.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I'd rather have Matt Lawton than Chris Burke or Orlando Palmerio at this point of their careers. Burke should have a nice career but he is horrible this year. Also I heard a interview with Purpura last night in which he said they are looking to acquire a bat. He said they were 2 big names. I thought and Ken Griffey Jr. came to mind and I couldn't think of the hitter. I started to think and Nomar came to mind. I think Nomar would be a decent pickup since his value is as low as it could get. We wouldn't have to give up a lot and we almost certaintly would get cash back to help pay his salary as part of any trade. Purpura maybe has finally realized that you can't have starter with a less than .300 OBP no matter how good their D is.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The reason every team passed on him is because his salary is big. If the Astros would have acquired him, they would have wanted the Cubs to take some of his salary. Almost all of the deals at this point of the year, involve cash.

4. bobrek

So you would have Nomar replace Everett? Nomar has been hurt most of this year and you would want to acquire him to replace Everett? Nomar's OBP (when he HAS been healthy) is .297. His health has been a problem this year AND last, yet you want to acquire him to replace Everett?

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yea I rather Nomar than Adam Everett.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yea I rather have Nomar than Adam Everett.

7. bobrek

Even though he has only been able to play 30 games this year (after only playing 81 last year)? Nomar is no longer the Nomar of the past. I suspect most every single GM at this point in the season and at this point in their respective careers would rather have Adam Everett playing shortstop through the rest of 2005 than Nomar Garciaparra.

Remind me again why McLane has not hired you as GM?

8. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Hey guys, do any of you think Berkman's knee is strong enough to go back to the outfield full-time? I would be curious to see if we could pry Mike Sweeney away from KC.

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Not sure what KC would want but Sweeney would be a rea nice pick-up. Berkman will be terrible defensively no matter where you put him. He is a great hitter but a flat out bad athlete.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Junior would have to go to LF to save his legs. If we trade for him, it's for offense and you have to consider any defense a bonus. That being said, you've probably got the best defensive LF in MLB with him out there (whatever that's worth). But with his history, I'd rather him watch balls sail into the Crawford boxes than have him out there climbing Tal's Hill.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Ever seen a computer geek with his computer? You know he loves the thing, but there's always some little piece he wants to replace or upgrade.

I see the Astros as the same thing. I love them, but there are pieces that could definately be better.

As far as Purpura goes, we had what was likely the best GM in the league in Gerry Hunsicker. Purpura has huge shoes to fill, and it's weird being in a position where the Astros' GM wasn't able to pick up that piece that he has every year in the past. Purpura may get better and learn his job as time goes along, but he came in with very good credibility. He had been hyped for a while by the club. I wasn't expecting someone that needed to learn his role and how to do things. We knew coming into the season that Willy T. and Chris Burke were going to be projects. Willy T. has come in and amazed everyone. Burke's been mediocre at best. He's had his moments, but overall nothing really special. For a team that's supposed to be competing now, we need a bat in left field. Nothing else can really be said about that.

Purpura was the one who wasn't supposed to be the project coming into the season. I guess that's why I expected more out of him.

12. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

When you consider the fact that we play on grass at MMP, I don't know if the "saving legs" factor is really all that big of a deal. When you consider that Tavarez has no clue on judging flyballs and has no arm, it is obvious that Griffey should be the CF.

If we make the playoffs, one screw up in CF by Tavarez could mean the end of the season.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yaopao
    This message is hidden because yaopao is on your ignore list.

15. Major

Major Member

People here are arguing (and having argued) that we should have traded for Matt Lawton at the trade deadline. The reality is, based on his actual performance during that time, we would be worse off having traded for him.

The point is that trading for these mediocre bats don't really help our team - certainly not substantially, maybe not at all. It is far better to sit and let Burke learn in the majors than to trade for a bat that is a marginal improvement - because it is very possible that it will not only not be an actual improvement, but actually would have made us worse.

Everyone b****ing that Purpura didn't go out and get Matt Lawton should be thrilled that we didn't make that deal. We would likely be another game or two out based on both Burke and Lawton's performances.

16. Major

Major Member

In 2003, Hunsicker didn't pick up a player when we were in the playoff chase. We missed the playoffs by a game or two. Wagner went off on ownership and management for not being committed to the team, and everyone agreed with Hunsicker that there was no one good to be had, and that Wagner was out of line.

Part of a GM's job is to not make stupid deals that hurt the franchise, no matter who shortsighted fans might be.

17. Major

Major Member

Nomar's stats this season are worse than Chris Burke's, and his season-long health issues are still a problem - he has missed 5 of the last 6 games with a bad back. That's a good player to count on.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Damn, Burke just hit a 3 run homer. He made me look a dumbass.

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Don't look now...Lawton was traded again Friday to the NY Yankees for a Single A pitcher. Hmmmmmmm.....

At this point I am forced to grugding accept that he would have been a lateral movement had Purp acquired him in exchange for Burke.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

So you're saying Purpura's done a stellar job since taking over? Do you agree with my overall point, or are you picking one extremely small issue and nitpicking? Hunsicker had a reputation for being able to pick up a much needed piece towards the deadline.

I just don't think things would have unfolded as they have if Gerry the Hun was still running things. I'm sorry I don't feel any where near as comfortable with this team as I did with last years. If we manage to grab the Wild Card, I would bet against us getting out of the first round. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Also, don't try and turn this around as "arkoe hates the Astros." I want them to win it all. I've followed them since before I can remember (when I was a small child, I'm not senile). The only games I watch are the ones that the Astros are in. I just don't think they can do it with the people they have now.

#60 arkoe, Aug 28, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2005