1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH] We're Trying to Get a Bat

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketman95, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just heard a soundbite on 790 with Purpura saying they're actively trying to obtain a bat. He's talked to two GMs today, but there's nothing to be had. He referred to a player that we all know and has had a great career, but he didn't say his name; however, I'm pretty sure it's Griffey. He said the were not giving up on acquiring a bat to help the team.

"Why is he so fat and why does he suck?" "Why aren't they doing anything to help the team?" "I can't believe they're going to waste this pitching staff." "Other idiotic bull****."

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

He's still fat.

;)

3. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

That's always Purpura's story: There's nothing out there or they want to much in return. If won't matter pretty soon because the stros will be out of the WildCard race.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He'll get his respect when he earns it.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He may be fat, but if he can get Junior without giving up Troy Patton, he'll be fine by me.

I'd give them Burke, Zeke, and one other prospect of their choice besides Patton. But no more than that - Junior's contract is too much to swallow that we should sell the farm for him.

#5 Furious Jam, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

As a guy was saying. It's now or never. WTF are we waiting for. We have a great team now. We should go for it. The future can be fixed. The now is now and if you do nothing it's gone. Just do it. Get Griffey and cut some ball girls or something. Raise ticket price. Whatever. Bring that mother in.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What's he supposed to say? That he's not trying? Regardless of what's going on, the Astros need us to believe they're doing all they can to put a championship caliber team on the field. That's no surprise.

I'm not going to claim that the season is over if we don't make a deal. We've still got a good shot. But we had a chance to get upgrades to Burke (Cruz and others) for very minimal cost, and I'm very surprised that a playoff team didn't jump at that opportunity. I agree it's too early to judge him as a failure, but I think it's ridiculous to not expect at least a little second-guessing given some of the moves that have been made that we weren't in on. As much as y'all want to insult Cruz, Winn, Bigbie, Byrnes and others, they are slight improvements to the status quo and thus a move worth looking at.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Let's hope it happens. We could really use it.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Even if this team somehow slips into the wild card without Griffey, we don't have enough lumber to get out of the first round. Does anyone here really believe that we have enough pieces right now to win a championship?

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Give Purpura credit, he knows he is fat. Early this year, he tore knee ligments running on a treadmill. I am tired of Purpura saying that he is "trying" to get something done. He has been saying that since we lost Beltren and Kent. If he was really trying, he would have added at least one bat and reliever. I think this team need at least 2 solid bats to compete with the Cards. He wasted some money signing old and rusty pitchers like John Franco, Dave Burba, and Turk Wendell.

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

A package of Ken Griffey Jr. and Rich Aurilla would be awesome. Everett is just a horrible hitter and we already have two of them in Ausmus and Burke. We can't afford to bench Ausmus because there would be a pitchers revolt. Remember last year when Everett got hurt, thats when he started to win. Aurilla is solid fielder with limted range but a upgrade over Everett's offense.

12. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

You guys (people expressing this opinion) piss me off. Be happy that we are back in this race in the first place. We have 3 left with Philly, 4 left with the Fish, and 7 left with the Cubbies who are practically playing "spoiler" now. You act like we don't even control our own fate. We played phenomenal ball for 2 months. Quit crying "what have you done for me lately" and realize that this team turned it around on their own. Jason Lane has emerged as a solid 5 hitter, Everett has a career high in HR's and doubles, Ausmus is hitting nearly .260. We just aren't getting timely hits or the out of this world pitching we saw earlier. It will come. This is Clutch City so quit crying because there's no crying in baseball.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

14. PhiSlammaJamma

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Lets get this done . This team as is , just dosent have my confidence like it did earlier in the year . We were on a roll and it has come to and end . Griffey would be fine by me .

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't know why I even bothered. Brick wall <--- my head.

I can't imagine how you can have fun rooting for a team you all seem to just despise. But good luck with all that.

17. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

You hit the nail right on the head. Are we just going to waste a shot to make the playoffs. This team is on the brink of claiming the wildcard all they need is one lousy bat. Find a way to get one!

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't make me break out a cliche. Pretty please.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I am not much into Baseball, but can someone explain to me how can we get Griffey AFTER the trade deadline has already passed. If we trade for him, he will be eligible (sp?) for the playoffs?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The trade deadline is the deadline at which players DON'T have to clear waivers in order to be traded. Beginning August 1, in order for a player to be traded, they must clear waivers or be traded to the team that claims them. The deadline to be on the playoff roster is to be on the 25 man roster on 08/31 although there are some exceptions for injuries.