1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

French Election: Where's Your Money?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Mar 26, 2017.

?

Who do you think will win the French election?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2017.
  1. Macron

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Le Pen

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Fillon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Someone else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You have no argument

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Arguments against trolls are self-evident to everyone but the troll.

And +1 on the ignore troll tally

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are obsessed with boxing people in to ideologies and attacking those. You make strawman arguments left and right when you do that. Argue the points, not what you think I believe. You still don't get it. And you likely won't ever get it until you learn more about world history. I honestly don't care for Crowder, nor do I subscribe to the type of nationalism you describe. That doesn't mean ignore the rest of the world. Using world wars as an example shows me how limited your knowledge is, not dissimilar from the everyone's Hitler types. Seriously you can't argue that mass immigration is good for France. France doesn't owe them anything. Also you come off as war hawk. Need I say more? You clearly have overdosed on the propaganda machine.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Very close but not fully since there are inhrrent flaws in it. I appreciate your input. I hope you don't lose citizenship either. Why would you lose it?

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The French President picking a candidate who isn't Le Pen doesn't in any way mean that candidate isn't an outsider. LOL.

The guy started his own independent party and isn't part of any of the establishment parties in France. Sorry, but that makes him by definition an outsider. The fact that insiders think Le Pen is so ridiculous that they'll support Macron doesn't change that.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The voters for Macron obviously are arrogant which is why she will likely win. That is part of my reasoning so stop acting like you are on to something when you're not.

Also you are ignoring what I already mentioned. Him being establishment is largely related to his political, social and financial ties which make him still a part establishment. Parties mean little in terms of defining establishment. Party support is only a small detail. I explained this earlier if you go back and look at his political career.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Bernie served in congress for years and years, yet he was an outsider. The fact that Macron also served in politics doesn't automatically an insider.

Parties may or may not mean a lot in defining establishment, but founding your own party outside of the main stream parties does mean a lot as far as being an outsider.

And sure you've shown that Macron voters are OBVIOUSLY arrogant. No doubt about it. Nobody can argue with all of the evidence you've presented about their arrogance. That's especially true when compared to the humility shown over and over again by Le Pen supporters. I have no real prediction about who will win, but the evidence you're showing about why Le Pen will win just isn't very convincing.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Macron is the obvious darling in most media outlets. Which is where the over confidence will come from. If you see in the newspaper that Macron is the obvious winner, you will be more likely to stay in for a nice breakfast and then do something other than going to vote. This is how a lot of upsets occur. Look at the media's treatment of Clinton and Brexit. You could argue that the media's overconfidence led to such as strong sense of winning, that people just didn't have the same level of motivation as the crowd that is voting primarily out of a motivation and hope for change. You don't have to believe me or agree with me. This is my opinion and as always I will do my best to explain it to you. I guess we will find out if I'm right soon enough.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

On a side note, does anyone actually like Macron? I'm curious if they want to vote for him just out of distaste for what they have been told about Le Pen. Or if people actually think he brings something to the table worth voting for. I'm curious to know. What is he bringing to the table that will help France?

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I get it that voters who stay at home and don't actually vote for a candidate is a legitimate concern. I haven't seen any evidence that Macron voters are arrogant and will definitely do this though. It has happened in other elections and could possibly happen now, but to say it's OBVIOUS that Macron voters are arrogant hasn't really been shown.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ok fair enough. My word choice may have been a bit strong. Arrogant is the wrong word and sorry. I will say that they could end up with a case of over confidence. I'll tone that down because you're right, they are not arrogant as a whole nor can it be proven. I understand what you're getting at.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

She said she wants to do away with dual citizenship and force people to choose where their loyalty lies (except dual citizen criminals, whom she'd like to strip of citizenship). I think her rhetorical aim was at the citizen children of Muslim North African immigrants, but she got herself into trouble with Israeli French and was backed into saying they had to pick Israel or France. She now suggests dual citizenry can remain where there is a deal between the two countries, with the implication that Israel would for some reason want to do a deal with France. But anyway, for me in a worse-case scenario (that I don't think would really come to pass even if she was president) I could be asked to choose between the US and France. I'd have to pick the US in such a scenario, but global elitist that I am, and considering that I have family and property there, it'd be really unfortunate for me and my children if I had to do that.

I know we've been arguing if he's an insider or an outsider, but this guy is the very picture of elitism. Son of a doctor and a professor, went to an elite high school, good undergrad and graduate degrees, quick success in government positions, and of course that stint as an investment banker. Obviously smart and very energetic and enterprising. Still young at 39 and already has an inside track on being president. He's really easy to resent. I see it a lot like the resentment of Obama's quick rise and how people tried to minimize his experience, and tried to say he was too green. Obama probably was. If I could have had it any way I wanted, I might have taken McCain in 2008 and Obama in 2016 after seasoning, and skip this Trump nonsense altogether. I do rather worry Macron is too young and inexperienced no matter how much of a hot shot he might be. I can see people being leery of him on both of these things, which honestly make a bad combination too -- he's not one of us, he's too elite; and, he's too young for the job and he hasn't been around long enough to understand me and my position and needs in the world. So, I'm not taking his election for granted. On the flipside, I really want him to win because (a) ready or not, I think he's at least smart enough and enterprising enough to get good at the job eventually, and (b) the alternative now is Le Pen. Him winning might exacerbate populism over the length of his service, and France might pay the price down the road. But it also buys time and an option that things might turn in the interim and we can avoid the right-wing crap altogether.

dachuda86 likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I just want to say, I really hope you don't lose citizenship. And that's terrible for people who would be caught in such a system change. Also thanks for your post.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good Lord. In what world does usuing historical reference show how little you know? That's like saying watching the 88 finals shows how little you know about basketball.

I'm with Deckard now ... you do make RocketsLegend look like genius. You deny aligning ideology because Like Trump you've learned to Just lie about who you are, what you've said, and done to just pivot to the next position and the next when you really are just dancing around the nicest way to say "I'm a bigot". That's why I say what I say and dance around what I really just want to say.

#116 dobro1229, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  17. Raz

Raz Member

On a side note, does anyone actually like LePen? I'm curious if they want to vote for her just out of fear and racist/nationalistic prejudice. Or if people actually think she brings something to the table worth voting for. I'm curious to know. What is she bringing to the table that will help France?

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm saying you use terribly limited examples you probably got off history channel when you went on a WW kick. You continue to assume things, call names, and avoid actually making an argument. You want to attack me so badly. Hate to break it to you, but those are tactics of a person who lacks knowledge of the world. And talk about dancing around. Look at you. You don't explain. You spend all your time building strawmen. You are intellectually dishonest and incapable of holding a real discussion. I have spent more time than any of you explaining my positions and you have the audacity to call me a bigot and accuse me of pretending to be someone else. I reject your accusations. You are just an angry person who is building strawmen to explain things that are above their intelligence level. If anyone is acting like a an intolerant bigot, it's you.

You're honestly so stupid you probably don't know the definition of bigot. You are probably going to look it up right now.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Haha. This reminds me of when Trump just had to call Hillary a bigot because he was called out as he rightfully should have been.

You are supporting LePen, and spewing nationalist propaganda. I'm more than comfortable coming to a conclusion that you are an intolerant bigot. "Secure our border"... "We don't owe THEM anything"... yeah...We aren't stupid, and know what that means... you are a bigot.

Enjoy watching France thrive under a Nationalist leader, and close their borders. Maybe they could build a wall to keep out the Syrian refugees too. That'll work out well.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are sidestepping the question with baseless accusations. Not everyone that disagrees with you is racist. Get a grip on reality.