1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Throws in the 2010-2011 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by azoghbi, Aug 11, 2010.

1. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

With the trade of Ariza for Courtney Lee, addition of Martin, and return of Yao, free throws are going to be an enormous part of our team's offensive gameplan.

Ariza was absymal and inconsistent from the free throw line shooting 64.9% over the past year. He is being replaced by Lee who, although he doesn't get to the line that often, shoots a fantastic 87%. Couple that with Martin (92.4%), Brooks (82.2%), Yao (usually around 85%), Lowry (82.7%), and Chase and Scola both hovering in the high 70's, we have a chance to be one of the best free throw shooting teams in the league.

Additionally, Lowry, Martin, and Yao are our three best FT shooters and are extremely adept at getting to the line/drawing fouls. I really believe this is going to boost our offense efficiency even further (mainly by gaining martin/yao and dumping ariza) and can't wait to see us living in the bonus/at the line. What do you guys think?

2. hoyarocketsfan

Good point.

IT really makes you wonder how much of Morey's game plan is centered around getting into the bonus and getting yao (and other good FT shooters) to the line.

I bet he has some crazy stat on team success in the bonus or something.

3. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

It would make sense, afterall FT% and rate of drawing fouls r two most straight forward and easy to measure data.

Its up to Adelman to make it happen, we need a system that either gives us free layups or fts, I won't mind 3pt plays either.

4. hoyarocketsfan

here's the morey quote one Yao in the bonus from the kevin martin trade. i think this just helps that game plan

"One of the things we focused on heavily was with Yao Ming, being in the bonus was a real important factor for our winning. With a guy like Kevin being top five in the league in getting to the line, he's a great complement who also has an ability to spread the floor, attack the basket."

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You forgot Brad Miller, who is a career 80% FT shooter.

Yao, Martin, and Lowry are among the league leaders in foul-drawing. That would put us in penalty bonus situations early and get to the line a lot. Having good FT shooters is going to be very important for us.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We will have 5 rotation players who have a career FT% over .800:

Martin .856
    Lee .854
    Yao .845
    Brooks .840
    Miller .801

I think FT is an important facet of the game in Morey's system. It is the most efficient way to score.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

You're right.

It's beautiful and very subtle moreyball stat to help us win.

Every little advantage counts in this league.

I think Dallas was the best FT percentage team last year and the Nuggets had the most FTs made and attempted.

8. echu888

echu888 Member

Wonder if the Rockets will lead the league in FTA, FTM, and actual time for games played.

Miami may rival though, with Wade & Bron both attempting 15 per game.