1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Nov 16, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeremy Lin makes sense off bench

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

$25 million is far from free... That's highway robbery if you ask me.

3. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

kobe/melo/durant dont rely on the foul to get points. they can shoot and post. never said he wasnt a star. getting points by fouls wont fly in the playoffs and late in game or off the high double team.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's 23.

5. Arthurprescott2

6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Whos the better player? Harden

If Lin cant adjust to your Number 1 player then you just have to trade him, theres no other way around it. Harden is your cornerstone playing 38-40 mins a night for the next 3-4 years or however long hes here

This reminds me of Bynum and Gasol, Gasol is the better productive post player but the Lakers thought it would be good to sacrifice Gasol's game for Bynum and run more plays for him instead of Gasol. What happened? 2nd round exit.

7. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Lin fans don't care if he is starter or bench player, as long as he is allowed to play his game.

8. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Since 1995, only one other player has averaged 15 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals per 36 minutes in their first three seasons in the league. His name: Chris Paul.

9. torocan

torocan Member

There is some truth here.

IS there a way to get Lin AND Harden both being highly productive when on the court at the same time? Probably.

Is McHale the player who can do it? Who knows?

It's not dissimilar from the Melo/STAT/Chandler question. Some players don't easily fit together. That's not an indictment against any individual player, it's just the reality of basketball.

There are 5 players on the court at any one time, and the best teams have complementary skill sets. When you have players who overlap too much, you either need a seriously good X's and O's coach, or you admit that it won't work and work around it through either staggering minutes or trading one of the players.

One thing people always forget is that EVERY player is a "system" player, whether we like the term or not.

You can't put Kobe in a transition offense and expect similar numbers to his performance in the half court. You can't put a post up player like Melo on the 3 point line all game and get great results. And you can't have ball dominant PG's play spot up shooter and expect great results.

The real issue at the heart of the Rockets is not Lin vs Harden, it's whether McHale has the capacity to create/tailor his system to get the MOST out of his roster. That is ultimately the coach's responsibility, not the Players.

All we can ask of the players is that they buy in, that they play the way they are asked to play, and let the system play out. If the results are sub-par either in Win/loss record or individual performance, then the question becomes whether the problem is the Coach himself, or the particular mix of players on the roster.

10. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Agreed and on top of that its inexcuseable for Lin to be such a poor jump shooter, hes playing a skilled perimeter position in today's NBA where you need a jumpshot to be really impose your will on the game (unless your name is Rondo and his game is still a question mark as well).

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Jeremy+Lin

Hes shooting 32% from 3s, 30% from 10 to 15 feet, 25% from 16 to 23 feet. And its not like hes getting challenged every single time, hes getting open jumpshot opportunities, if you cant even convert an adequate % of them maybe hes just not good enough right now

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z7KsuyQb-1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another read, this from SI:

The Fundamentals: Is there room for both Harden and Lin in Houston?

1 person likes this.
  12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I understand that the last thing we need is another Jeremy Lin thread in the GARM, but in this case I feel like we should have a thread for the article.

I guess you might not be able to have a real discussion about it, but still... :)

I for one think bringing Lin in a 6th man role off the bench is at least something to consider down the road if you can't figure out how to use them more effectively together.
    Doing so would probably only amount to Lin playing about 10 minutes without Harden on the court, but that's still better than no minutes at all.

Also, let's consider that Harden might not only be holding back Lin, but Lin might be holding back Harden like the second article J.R. posted pointed out.
    If you bring Lin off the bench playing, Harden could play 14-18 minutes with Douglas instead of Lin every night.

13. peter2012

peter2012 Member

That's true to me.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: There we go. :)

Haha I was thisclose to starting a thread on it, but as always, I'm hesitant to start threads(and hardly do). You or I or someone can start a thread if they wish. ; )

#854 J.R., Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  15. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

yet he's already been crowned savior of the franchise who will lead them to the promised land by eurostepping his way to 16 FT a game...

16. joepu

joepu Member

Troll.

17. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Although what the insider says is valuable, it only works for season games. It's a short term solution because come playoffs, all key players will start playing 40+ minutes.

I believe the best way is to let them play it out 30+ minute every game like what miami did with Lebron and Wade. If we tank hard, it'll be a process for a better future.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

That author seemed to have missed an important distinction in Lin's shooting percentages: his shooting percentage when used as the primary option (off the dribble) and his shooting percentage as a secondary or spot up option. Lin is a much better off the dribble shooter so, naturally, being forced to spot up for most of his shots will make him appear like a bad shooter when he really isn't, but it all still goes back to the issue of being misused by the coaches.

19. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

not a troll. just calling it like i see it. harden is great and all, but he does have flaws that people seem to not care about because at the end of the day, his boxscore looks impressive. numbers dont give you wins.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if i am not wrong, lin plays better as game goes on. he peaks at 4th period. i am using what he did in ny as my evidence. you can't ask harden to take less role in 4th period. i don't think starting from bench will really solve the issue.

i already wrote before it might be better to trade him to get sth, lakers need a pg. we need a good pf. gasol might be available if lakers is desperated.