1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis got to be more like the Answer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheshire, Jun 8, 2001.

1. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I've been keeping track of Philly's post season run and I am impressed by the Rocket like qualities they have displayed against Toronto and Milwaukee... and now against the Lakers- heart and clutch play. Much of it goes to the Answer's eye-popping numbers and once again the role-players stepping up.

All season long, Francis has been getting how he needs to take more shots and in a way be more "selfish." I reckon that is necessary. As much as we want Cat to take more intelligent shots and pass more, Francis has to take more shots and pass less.
    Iverson should be Francis' model.

Be a thirty or forty point threat and let the opposition pick their poison. In one of their play-off games, Iverson jacked up plenty of shots, missed a lot but at the same time had something like 16 assist! Because he was getting double and triple teams just to prevent him from potentially torching them.

Francis is a better shooter than Iverson, maybe not as good as a cross-over. Definitely a better rebounder and passer in terms of numbers. Now he needs to get that "I'm the Boss" mentality and get the Rocks following his way. In Philly, everyone accepts that Iverson is the boss and with that in mind, they know their roles perfectly whether setting picks, doing the dirty work...They have unity and a clear-cut purpose. We destroyed Philly twice this year. Now they are in the Finals and they actually beat the Lakers in a game. I'm not saying this would pay immediate dividends, but if the roster improves via trades, drafts etc and deadweights particularly something that cost $42 mil goes...the Rocks imho will be in a position to make the play-offs.

It starts and ends with Francis. He plays more like Iverson and yank the team to his way of thinking, then better things will start to happen next year with or without Webber.

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I love Steve Francis. He is one of my favorite players . . . but
    He does not have a better shot than Inverson
    ESP not with a hand in his face.

Steve I think has about the same overall
    game though

Rocket River
    both arr simply phenominal.

------------------

3. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I know statistics aren't everything but Franchise shot .451 from the field and Iverson shot .420. Leads me to believe at least he has better shot selection which plays a lot into what kind of shot a guy has.

------------------

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree, but maybe not too much like Iverson. The Rocks have more weapons overall, but unleashing a little bit of Iverson in Wink would be nice. I know it has helped my game a bunch.

------------------
    "I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time."
    -Marilyn Monroe

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Iverson just has the advantage in the intangibles (heart, fearlessness, etc). As far as athletic abilities I think Francis is better.
    Hopefully Stevie can learn a few things from watching AI, but I hope he doesn't learn to shoot 30-35 shots/night.