1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FoxSports.Com] Three Team trade involving Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 20, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The Mets are balking at a proposed three-way trade in which they would send OF Mike Cameron to the Astros and receive OF Eric Byrnes from the A's, with Astros 2B Chris Burke heading to Oakland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3407744

2. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

that would be a hideous trade for us

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

No thanks, I'd rather see what Burke has to offer than bring in a 32 year old career .248 hitter.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If it was giving up Redding or Duckworth (or both), do it yesterday. Giving up Burke for Cameron? I don't like it too much. Even if Biggio does play 2nd this year, what about 2006 and beyond?

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We should all hope this report is BS. If it is true, it tells me that the Astros aren't as thrilled with Chris Burke as they initially claimed to be if they are willing to let him go for Cameron.

The thing that makes me think this isn't true is that if we are willing to trade Burke for Cameron, and the A's are the ones getting Burke, why not just trade Burke for Byrnes?

6. NJRocket

I actually found this part of the article more interesting...

The A's acquisitions of RH relievers Kiko Calero and Juan Cruz might force RHP Huston Street back to Class AAA, but only temporarily. Once Street is ready, the team likely will trade closer Octavio Dotel. For the right deal — most likely one from the Cubs — Dotel might even go sooner. ...

7. MONON

MONON Member

Maybe they might move minor league SS Tommy Whiteman to 2nd base & have him replace Biggio when he retires. Of course that's contingent on Whiteman continuing to hit .300+.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

damn i wouldnt mind that deal if we were the ones getting byrnes. i like his game a lot.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I talked to a scout within the organization in late November, and his thoughts were that Burke wasn't ready for MLB pitching.

10. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Burke looks to me like another Adam Evertte nuthing more nuthing less. I dont know why some of you guys are so HIGH on our rookies.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the Adam Everett that hit well in the first part of last season?

if you're not high on Burke, you can't be high on any minor league talent. the guy has been a league MVP in the minors...he has pretty good pop for a middle infielder, he gets on base and runs well.

12. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

As a fan, I want a do-over on this offseason.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would take another Adam Everett.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Think that's something we can all agree on. :)

15. NJRocket

you would take another good sac bunter?

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adam Everett was on his way to a great season before breaking his wrist.
    On that trade...No way!
    While Cameron would give us the defense that we sorely need up the middle,he is
    horrible at the plate
    on the decline
    overpaid
    not healthy
    ..and there is not a chance I would give up Burke,who has a chance to be a starting second basemen in this league for the next 10 years in exchange for a guy that (if healthy) would be a stopgap at best to Taveras.

17. MadMax

this thought overrides most of my thoughts on acquiring a CF. if we believe tavares (or however you spell it) is the real deal...a legit CF starter who is just a season away...then i wouldn't be real interested in trading away players to bring in a guy to manage the position for a season before he gets here to play for a lot cheaper. not unless it were a beltran-esque sort of CFer who you thought you'd rather have long term than tavares.

18. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Looks like Mitch Einerston is going to be playing second this season. He looks like a great prospect. His original position is outfield but there are so many prospects for outfield such as Taveras, Pence, Anderson...so I am glad they are moving him.

19. MadMax

for who?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He should be starting at Single-A Salem (Carolina league), but he'll in all likelihood be at Corpus (or higher) by the end of next season.