1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FoxPro Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tommyboy, Oct 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I'm using Visual FoxPro 9 and need to import data on a monthly basis to free standing tables in which I can query specific data from. The data files are fixed width text files. I currently have to create a new table and importing the field definitions from a prior month's table. This gives me field names and data types but does not define field length/width. I have to manually do this using the Import Wizard. Is there a way I can create a definitions table that will define all field names, data types and lengths/widths that I can use every month to import the data?

I'm more familiar with Access and the use of Import Spec files and was hoping that there's a similar process in FoxPro. The reason I'm having to use FoxPro is because the data is too large for Access to handle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

You can't create a template and then import into the template?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out if FoxPro has a way of importing fixed width text data into a predefined "template" of sorts. I can create a new table using another table's field names and properties but it doesn't seem to apply the field length definitions when I go through the Import Wizard. This is where I'm stuck at.

Unfortunately I'm not an avid FoxPro user so step by step help would be required for me. :(