1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Cuttino Mobley Wants One More Shot at the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110714-cuttino-mobley-wants-one-more-shot-at-the-nba

HOUSTON - Former NBA guard Cuttino Mobley, who retired in 2008 because of a heart ailment, would like another shot at playing in the NBA.

Mobley played for 11 years with four NBA teams, but was forced to leave the game after he was traded by the L.A. Clippers to the New York Knicks.

After a routine physical following the trade, Mobley was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

It is the same condition that led to the deaths of basketball players Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

"It's a lot of different variations of HCM," Mobley said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "Me playing 40 minutes a game for 11 years straight at a very high level.

"Mine is not serious at all. As you can see 11 years of playing and still playing three years later after they said you shouldn't play. You shouldn't run. You shouldn't do this. You shouldn't play that. A lot of different things they said you shouldn't do."

This week Mobley was back on the court in Houston taking part in pick up games with NBA players like Washington Wizards forward Rashard Lewis, Indiana Pacers guard T.J. Ford and Houston Rockets guard Kyle Lowry.

However, Mobley wants more than that.

He wants to play with and against those guys again when the games matter and he said he and his agent, Andy Miller, have made the NBA aware of his situation.

"I've been trying to do that," Mobley said. "You have to get doctor's evaluations and all this other stuff, but you got to understand too what the Knicks put out there, the notion, nobody wants to take that chance now. I've been playing with it for so many years. You ask yourself was it genuine or did you do it for a reason?

"I'm not done. It depends on what the league says when the time comes. It's been a difficult process.

"What the Knicks did kind of putting a stomp in it and giving people that fear about me, something I was born with."

Mobley said he is not happy with the way the Knicks handled his situation in 2008.

"At first I was cool with it because I didn't do research on it, but then doing research and getting different opinions, then I became upset because the corporation, the big company trying to get as much money as they can and do different things like that, for me I don't think that was right," Mobley said.

"You either waive me, you don't take me in, you let me go somewhere else, let me create my own destiny like I did in 1999 when I came to the Rockets. Let me create my own decisions. Don't make the decisions for me, clogging my heads with different things.

"I'm not upset now because I know it's a business and that's how they treat it as a business, but it's two and a half, three years I haven't played. It's been a waste."

Mobley, who was drafted in the second round by the Houston Rockets in 1999, also played for the Orlando Magic and the Sacramento Kings.

He got a chance to get some work in with the Boston Celtics last September.

"(Celtics president of basketball operations) Danny Ainge is unbelievable," Mobley said. "Great dude."

"The Celtics, I went in and played with Paul (Pierce) and Ray (Allen) and those guys. It was a three-day thing. I signed a waiver.

"I went up there not to get picked. I went up there just to let them know I'm fine. I can still play and this was just last September. So hopefully things will change and somebody will give me a shot and let me play or just help out. It'd be fun. If not, it's fine. It's all good."

Mobley's agent, Andy Miller, was able to find two jobs for him last year.

Mobley turned down an opportunity to play for a team in Poland.

He also had a shot to play for a team in the NBA Development League, but the two sides were not able to make it happen.

"They gave a laundry list of things that we needed to do, protocol, of things that needed to be done to put him in a position that they would be willing to offer him a contract and the list and the demand within the list, they were too cumbersome," Miller said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"It had to do more with I think the league trying to protect themselves with regard to exposure, if God forbid something should ever happen to Cat."

Miller didn't want to identify the NBA D-League team that expressed an interest in Mobley.

"There is a herd-like mentality in our business that when a player has been labeled under a certain category, there is a tendency for that to be the label regardless of change of scenery," Miller said.

Miller has continued to check out every possibility for his client.

"Last time I spoke with every team in the (NBA) league," Miller said. "I treated him as a free agent in the hopes of finding him a job regardless of the economic package that would have been put together.

"I looked for jobs across the board and came up with the one with the Euro-League team in Poland and we are looking for opportunities. That hasn't changed at all.

Mobley understands his dream of returning to the NBA, may end up being just that.

"Three years not playing, maybe it is a pipe dream, but it's just fun to play with guys in the summer," Mobley said.

"Sometimes I'm happy the season is over so I can play with the guys in the summertime."

1 person likes this.
  2. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Doubt he gets another chance but I wish him luck in his pursuit.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Best of luck to yah bro!!!! Be nice to see him out there for sure...

4. SunsRocketsfan

he seems so much cooler than Francis..

Francis's quotes would have gone something like this

"3 years not playing in the NBA? not a big deal.. all i need is 3 mins on the court and I should and deserve to start cause I am the Franchise"

5. That's Turrible

Medical mar1juana working?
    Maybehhhh

6. FR0497

FR0497 Member

The article is about Cuttino and yet in every one of your sentences you mention Francis....why is it so hard to keep a thread on topic?

Chances look slim but good luck Cat.

7. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

[​IMG]

As great as he was/is both on and off the court, I honestly believe it would be for the best if he didn't come back. His best days are behind him and it's not like many people are denying the fact that he is a talented individual. I don't really know how serious his condition may be, but all I know is that if some tragic accident were to occur due to his HCM, it would be a sad day for the basketball world.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, if Cat has anything left in the tank and can contribute that would translate to how many minutes for what type of team?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That step back jumper was one of the best in the business. He was also a great defender. My favorite rocket of all time not on the championship team.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

here's hoping The Dude moves this thread to the correct forum in honor of the Cat.

11. Asian Sensation

I'm not sure there's going to be much interest for a 36 year old player who's had a 3 year layoff with heart conditions to boot. He's too much of a liability medically speaking and his best days are well past him.

I know basketball is/was his life but he should enjoy something different. Not worth the risk.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

12-15 mins per game for a championship contending team not named the Miami Heat.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Is there any liability if a team takes him on and he dies from his heart problem. The team would have to get him to sign a release but I'm sure his family could still sue even if he did sign a release.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I heard Cat stays in shape on the tennis courts as well. imagine playing a 6'4" Southpaw!

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Best of luck to Cat, he was my favorite Rocket of the post-Hakeem era. If he gets legitimately cleared to play and can still go at an NBA level, I would welcome him back in a 12th man role. Don't want to take chances though if the doctors aren't on board with it.

16. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

"maybe it is a pipe dream, but it's just fun to play with guys in the summer" ...PAUSE!!!! :grin:

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I saw Cat about 2 weeks ago at 24 hour fitness and I'd like to say that he is nowhere as spry he once was.

He should stay retired.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Like others have stated, he was one of my recent faves. More than Yao, Sura, Scola, Batt, etc. Was very sad when he was included in the package for our former #1.

I hope he doesn't come back. He's too old and it's dangerous. Enjoy life and invest your $$ wisely.

19. HombreDeHierro

c'mon Cat, open your Medical Cannabis dispensary

i'd like to visit :) blow trees with stevie and cat

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

/thread