1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FOX News: Fair and Balanced?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HI Mana, May 30, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Fixed.

Al Jazeera is one of the best news sources there is now days.

1 person likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. I haven't thought about it in quite that way. Do you know what led to a lot of this? "News organizations" like Fox? The deregulation of the media. It used to be that there was a strict limit on how many stations you could own, and who could own them (among other things). After loads of lobbying money, that was tossed into the national dumpster, and that led to Fox "News," in my opinion. It doesn't help that we have a Supreme Court with an extremist majority.

1 person likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seconded.

I don't watch it much, but their reporting is like BBC or public broadcasting....varied with thorough analysis through measured points and counterpoints.

None of this superficial "there are only 2 equally valid and diametrically opposed options" market driven drivel seen on CNN, et. al. All that is is personality driven drama, which is why people like shouty or hot talking heads for "flair" and "charisma". It's like following Howard Stern despite hating him.

REAL news is sobering **** not many people want to think about outside their bubbles.

I disagree. Republicans are playing the long con of "anti-government", "government failure" and low taxes.

They win in the long term by the government losing now. Alienating growing demographics will hurt them more than their incompetence because as everyone knows, we have short memories and want to believe in sweet and painless sounding lies.

Let's say they lose horribly now and the Dems dominate Legislative and Executive again. All they have to do is fail through their minority cockblocking powers to reset the cycle, infuriate voters, and redirect their rage at the ruling incumbent party. Lather, rinse, repeat. The damage is tenfold with Citizens United, since as faith in the system diminishes absolutely, the differences between the two parties plateaus towards the almighty dollar. Laws get struck down, rejiggered when the spotlight is away from it, and reinterpreted to corrupt the faith while preserving the letter.

Someone once said that the declines of societies is marked by how their leaders obey the system and the rule of law. Bush started this cycle, but Obama has not rebuilt it. Instead, he's deepened the break with our institutions fundamental spirit. Granted, Congress is dysfunctional, but his re-election will set the tone that has not changed so far.

Besides, who cares if Rome is burning as long as I get a tax break....

#23 Invisible Fan, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is the problem with arrogant, God complex dims like Obama. You can't just silence the media. It's not your right, and it's protected by the 1st Amendment, if that means anything to you.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Good thing I get my news from Telemundo.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what he fails to mention is that global demand has increased dramatically as well, and oil companies leave many of their fields untapped because they want to keep prices high as they make a lot more money the higher prices are.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The White House has no obligation to invite Fox News to press briefings and such. It is not a new source and no where does the first Amendment say that they have to invite every media source to a press briefing. It is an entertainment channel.

They have every right to do that, and if you can't understand that simple thing you have no clue what the first amendment really is about.

The only god complex running around here is you, who thinks science and fact has no place in modern society, and your "beliefs" are the only thing that matters.

8. bigtexxx

Do you have fact and evidence to support this claim?

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

facts? You want FACTS??????

This is a Fox "News" thread; we don't need no stinkin' FACTS

1 person likes this.
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You aren't even close to getting the quote right

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That's a good thing. People need to cut down their consumption of oil. Period.

12. bigtexxx

You sound exactly like Stevie Chu, the egghead academic that King Barry of Mombasa put in charge of our energy policy

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Fox News is as fair as a loaded crap game, and as balanced as Roger Ailes forehead.

That being said...all mainstream news sources are biased in one way or another. You gotta hunt for the truth nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  14. Raven

Raven Member

Fox is the worst, the official war monger network, but all cable news sucks. Hell, any corporate controlled media is inherently corrupt.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Doesn't Fox News have the highest ratings? If that's the case I don't really think they care what some people think.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

By far the best news source is NPR, I don't watch any cable "news" anymore.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'd venture to guess that they take homage in winning congressional majorities in some of those years.

Nonetheless, I do think it's important to recognize the fact that Republicans are being forced to re-evaluate their core messages and shift on a variety of issues. Anybody following this past primary could see a distinct shift to libertarian views within party ranks, and as time goes on I'm guessing you're going to have more Republicans identifying with exclusively libertarian views, particularly given it's popularity amongst young, active Republicans.

In that vein, I think it's going to become more common to see Republicans adopt anti-interventionist platforms, and more candidates accept liberal social positions (abortions, gay marriage, etc.).

Not sure how long this transition will take, and again, it's just a guess so take it for what its worth.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ironically, I'll bet half their audience is made up of angry democrats waiting for them to do something wrong.

1 person likes this.
  19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I didn't say all media has a liberal bias. Media has a bias whether liberal or conservative. They may not run as many negative campaigns, but they are practically sucking on Obama's teet, while at the same time throwing any conservative idea under the bus.

Certainly not everyone is guilty, but the news in general, the media in general, is very biased. The right reports from a rightest POV, and the left with a leftist. There is no NEWS. It's entertainment targeted at viewers. Every election there are slanderous ads coming from both sides, it's not only annoying, it's pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I understand where you're coming from, and have heard this same complaint amongst other Democratic supporters. I definitely agree that Fox's media machine is far worse than MSNBC's reporting, and think that some of the forced equivalencies between Republican actions against Dems are unwarranted.

That said, I think many of the callouts stem from a lack of criticism directed at comparable actions by Democrats. A simple example would be criticisms that attempt to paint the GOP as a party that is allied to corporate interests (which is undoubtedly true), but fail to acknowledge the same dynamic playing out in Democratic ranks, including the deep seeded connections between Obama's administration and Wall Street, and the various ways in which prominent Democrats protect the interests of corporations that donate heavily to their campaigns.

1 person likes this.