1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Formatting internal hard drive with external enclosure...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ZRB, Jul 17, 2004.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

A few weeks ago some of you recommended buying an internal hard drive with an external enclosure. Well, I did that, and I got the hard drive today (and strangely enough, they haven't charged me for it). Still waiting on the enclosure...

Is it normal for the hard drive to arrive without software? Does that come with the enclosure?

Anyone know of a good site that explains how to install and format the drive?

Thanks.

2. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Formatting the drive is easy, if you have xp or 2000:

- "Windows Key" + "R"
    - type "compmgmt.msc"
    - under storage select "Disk Management"
    - then find your hd, right-click on it and format.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

And if I have 98 SE?

4. FrancisFan

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Those Microsoft sites are a bit too technical for me. Know of any other good sites?

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

get into dos and do this

lets say your drive is D:

format d:

convert d: /fs:ntfs

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Hey guys, got the enclosure today, and am having extreme problems.

The crappy user guide tells me that after switching on the drive and putting in the USB 2.0 Driver disc, I'm supposed to "specify a location" and write "D:\PM-525U2\WINDOWS" in the driver device wizard. When I do that, it says that "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device. I followed the instructions exactly, but the driver can't be located. What the hell do I do now?

8. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

Try seeing what is on the driver CD through windows explorer, look under D:\PM-525U2\WINDOWS (if D: is youre cd-rom) and see if there are names of specfic Operating Systems (ie XP, 2000, 98, etc.), then choose accordingly. From my experience, any folder named WINDOWS usually has different OS's under it because drivers are usually specific to each OS.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Nevermind. I downloaded the proper driver from the web. Now I find that it takes literally an hour to transfer a two minute video file. If that is how long it takes under normal circumstances, then I just wasted 100 bucks.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Does Win98 support USB2.0? You do have a USB2.0 card in your pc right? (I appologize for asking if you do)

#10 Uprising, Jul 19, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  11. FrancisFan

Do you have USB 2 ports? USB 1.1 has a transfer rate of 12 mbps (i think) and USB 2.0 has 480 mbps (I think). Remember 8 mbps = 1 mBps (bit vs Byte).

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I have USB 2 ports. How can I find out?

13. FrancisFan

Try...open Device Manager (right-click My Computer, select Manage, find Device Manager) find Universal Serial Bus (USB) and check to see if you have anything about an "enhanced" controller, if you do then you should have 2.0.

But I did buy a USB 2.0 enclosure and it was very slow...so it might be the enclosure. I eventually just put the HD in my computer via the IDE bus.

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Thanks for your help Francisfan. I don't see anything about an enhanced USB. I think I might just take this thing to best buy tomorrow and see if I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise, I guess I'll have them install the drive in the computer and return the enclosure.

Computers... they make life in an insane asylum sound like fun.

15. FrancisFan

No, dont go to BB and pay them for something that you can do.

To install a HD all you have to do is open the case (unplug pc), discharge yourself of static electricity (touch something metal), find your current HD, attatched to it there should be two wires: one a flat IDE wire (looks like duct tape) and the other wire is the power.

On the IDE cable there should be an open ide connector that you connect to the second HD, then find an open power wire (if it fits, its the right one). And plug it in.

Before you close the case or even attach wires look for jumpers on second HD and find a diagram where it shows whats a master and slave and set your second drive to slave. Jumpers are basically just little plastic pieces with metal inside of them that will make a circuit when put over two pins, in this case used to configuire the drive as to being the Master (what you want to boot from) and the slave.

Turn the computer on and it should automatically recognize the drive.

I bought a USB 2.0 enclosure and if you are wanting to use it to store video its not the speed that you need/want, but I hear and read that firewire performs close to 2x's as fast as USB 2 despite having possible a max rate of 400 mbps, I don't understand why though.