1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SwoLy-D, May 5, 2010.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

#81 SwoLy-D, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Since I'm algerian I should share this video with you. French rap with algerian music singing about the algerian national team!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFTxx5jm6DQ&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFTxx5jm6DQ&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't disagree with you about his 1v1 ability...he has none. Ching will be in the squad for the other reasons you mentioned. He pairs well with speedy forwards that can run at the defense. I don't think Charlie Davies is going to make it in time. He's training, but still not ready for this. It's a damn shame, too. With the level he was playing at before the accident, I had confidence in a Confed Cup type run. It's going to be a little more of a struggle to find goals without him. Really need to see what Buddle and Gomez can do internationally.

I also agree with you that Connor Casey should be no where near a national team kit...unless he got to keep his old one. He is f***ing terrible. There are players in my men's league in Austin that are far better than him. I'm also hoping that DMB is left home as well. His international career is over and has been for 4 years.

4. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Some more:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NgrMgqlbzgs&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NgrMgqlbzgs&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7n3z67Eq_s&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f7n3z67Eq_s&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

USA's preliminary roster:

Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Onyewu, Bocanegra, Spector, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Bornstein, Pearce, Goodson, Marshall

Donovan, Dempsey, Clark, Bradley, Edu, Torres, Holden, Feilhaber, Beasley, Bedoya, Kljestan, Rogers

Altidore, Ching, Buddle, Gomez, Findley, Johnson

I was really hoping that Davies would have been able to make it back and have a shot at the final roster. :(

6. leroy

Glad there's no Casey. Not crazy about Findley, Johnson, and Beasley. Rest is as expected. My guess to the last 23...

Keepers: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Defense: Onyewu, Bocanegra, Spector, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Bornstein, Pearce

Mids: Donovan, Dempsey, Clark, Bradley, Edu, Torres, Holden, Feilhaber, Beasley

Forwards: Altidore, Ching, Buddle, Johnson

7. SwoLy-D

Without Davies your chances are much lower. I liked that kid since the beginning and he got much more respect by scoring at Azteca on my team. :eek:

I also noticed Honduras' killer Connor Casey was out. That wasn't a surprise.

8. leroy

Hopefully it's because Bradley realized that he sucks.

9. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

It's a shame Charlie Davies isn't on the roster. For morale boost alone. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back. Bradley said he was in contention late for the squad but was not cleared by Sochaux staff...(conspiracy)

I would have even put Freddy Adu on there. He was been playing better at Thessaloniki. Really thought at one point this kid would be the future of US Soccer...

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

WTF is this. Giuseppe Rossi is our only legit striker. They left Totti, Toni, Cassano and Del Piero out? Blow my nuts Lippi. :mad:

I love our midfield though. Pirlo, Gattuso, De Rossi, Montolivo and Camoranesi.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I made my predictions at this ESPN thing.

Surprise, surprise...I picked Germany to win it all in a re-match of the 2002 final against Brazil.

Here is my prediction:

Round of 16

A1 France
    B2 South Korea

C1 England
    D2 Ghana

B1 Argentina
    A2 South Africa

D1 Germany
    C2 United States

E1 Netherlands
    F2 Paraguay

G1 Brazil
    H2 Switzerland

F1 Italy
    E2 Cameroon

H1 Spain
    G2 Portugal

Quarterfinals

A1 France
    C1 England

E1 Netherlands
    G1 Brazil

B1 Argentina
    D1 Germany

F1 Italy
    H1 Spain

Semifinals

C1 England
    G1 Brazil

D1 Germany
    H1 Spain

I'm going down to South Africa for one match (quarterfinal Germany vs. Argentina in Cape Town).

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Need to decide on a Stu Holden or Brian Ching jersey now. And home or away.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Bad mistake for Brazil leaving Ronaldinho off, imo.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Buddle?

Seriously?

I know he's doing ok with the LA Gals and all.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Sorry again SwoLy :p , I saw highlights of the Mexico - Senegal game on footytube, you guys looked impressive. The Sengal team isn't as bad as you think, they beat Algeria in the qualifications (not that the Algerians are anything special, but they're still a 2010 WC team). BTW the goal you guys scored should have been called off, the player took it out of the hands of the goalie.

Leaving Ronaldinho and Pato out of the Brazilian team is beyond silly, I assume Dunga will add them by the June 1st deadline after he sees his team struggle in the friendlies.

Here is my initial WC predictions (will have to see more friendly game results to make a final draft) from the clutchfans espn bracket:

[​IMG]

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Okay, who would you have selected instead? The great Conor Casey? The even greater Kenny Cooper?

Buddle and Herc are the two US (traditional) strikers in the best form right now.

17. SwoLy-D

Goalie didn't have it in BOTH hands. I've been a goalie all my life and I know damn well that if I have the ball in both my hands, you can't take it or kick me in the hands or push me to gain advantage over me.

If you'd like to to continue to argue this, we can, but if you're going to tell me that Alberto Medina kicking that ball while it was still ON THE GROUND, covered only by ONE HAND of the goalie, is ILLEGAL and called a foul, then you've probably not read the entire rules of the game.

The goalie was out of control in grabbing the ball with both hands, left one hand away from the ball, and failed to secure the ball while it was still on the ground. It's still GAME.

I'd like to hear from someone who is a referee or a line judge, but you can see that the goalie didn't have the ball in his control, and even the sideline ref doesn't call a foul because the ball is loose. You can see it here CLEARLY LOOSE at 1:40 :
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5JcaOqckI3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5JcaOqckI3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#97 SwoLy-D, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  18. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Come on..it was the first game of the qualifications with our goals set to winning some games. We lost to Gambia in that same group, then beat out Egypt from the World Cup a year later. Two different teams if you ask me.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

join the evil espn bracket thingie

look for group clutchfans. pw is mcgradylol

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Page 112 LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

Offences committed by goalkeepers

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
    while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body)[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=4[B]]while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand[/B]

• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

Please look at the 2:36 mark of this video he has control of the ball according to FIFA rules, it is between the goalies outstretched open hand and the ground:

http://www.footytube.com/video/mexico-senegal-may11-46868

You didn't think I'd actually do the research, did you? :grin: ;) :cool: