1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SwoLy-D, May 5, 2010.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

ChrisBosh and TracyMacAdidas, do you both agree with the following, an article from the L.A. Times, picking the best Brazilian World Cup team of all ages?
    I would have gone with Tafarel as best goalkeeper. :eek:

2. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Algeria is going to break a lot of hearts

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Do you guys want to joiN ESPNs bracket predictor?

I'll create a group.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Algerian hearts.....as they bow out in the first round.

DD

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

ok, i created a espn bracket thingie.

password is mcgradylol

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Romario and Roberto Carlos could make their cases but sounds about right. Taffarel also gets my vote.

7. Obito

Reply directed to Swoly :) :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;)

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Gilmar was definitely better. He changed the strikers' mentality, thought-process, etc.

Taffarel was amazing with making key saves, but also made silly mistakes fairly frequently. So he would save 3 consecutive penalties, but then allow one to slip through his hands and his legs by mistake.

9. SwoLy-D

Just noticed U-verse is added Univisión and Telefutura, both televising the World Cup in Spanish, to their HD lineup (1010 and 1015). There's no reason you shouldn't be watching the World Cup in Spanish BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the games. :cool:

Another Spanish channel they added is Telemundo. I hope they televise Mexico vs. Angola in HD from Reliant on Thursday. :eek:

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just sent in my request to have the 12th of June off. :grin:

11. inler

inler Contributing Member

England is going to feel terrible after the 12th

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

Tafarel was overly hyped in my humble opinion…I would definitely go with Marcos and the performances he turned-out in the 2002 classic. Anyways, other than that the list is very good….I’d like to have some honorable mentions for the reserves…Romario & Socrates.

13. Obito

June 14th.

Italy vs Paraguay.

Great first test for Italy with a South American opponent.

Can't wait!

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Sorry Slowly I'm a young fan, the 50's,60's,70's,80's were before my time. I;ve only seen clips for most of those guys mentioned and we all know how deceiving that can be. I have a feeling that some of the people who describle the best are nostalgic about times gone past and tend to overplay how good these guys were.

In the modern era we now have youth development camps, year round training, clubs with talent from all around the world competing with one another making each of them better, the list goes on and on. I think you should compare pre-80s era to only those players from that timeline. But I know I'm in the minority in my stance, btw I'm not claiming that talent wise the guys from the earlier era were worse, only that if you brought them from the past into this era they would have a tougher time keeping up. A less athletic person would be able to get away with more in the past IMHO.

http://soccerlens.com/best-brazilian-footballers/31408/

15. SwoLy-D

ONE MONTH AWAY! (two hours ago :grin: )

My team looks to be in shape... winning 1-0 against African Super Power Senegal ( :rolleyes: ) last night. Who's all going to the Mexico vs. Angola game?

And, it's SwoLy!!! :mad: Arrrghhh

;)

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Preliminary 30 man rosters are out today. Some interesting names in and out so far. Italy is leaving Toni and Totti home (though Totti was technically retired from the international game). England having to call up retired Jamie Carragher because of persistent injuries to their defenders.

I must have missed where Ivory Coast hired Sven-Goran Eriksson. So much for them being a factor. No one can destroy a talent laden team like the Swede.

17. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

U.S. 30 man preliminary roster to be announced at 1 pm CT today.
    I hope that Buddle, Gomez, and CD9 are included.
    Those I do not want to see are Casey, Ching, Cunningham, Findley, or Kljestan.

Go USA!

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why wouldn't you want to see Brian Ching? He's one of the toughest SOB's on the squad. You need people like him in the World Cup.

19. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Well he's got experience & is tough in the air, but I'm just not convinced he can take on world-class defenders 1-on-1. I love his grit but would rather see an in-form Gomez or Buddle as our attacking options behind Altidore & Dempsey.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can't and is butt slow.....the WC needs SPEED up front.

DD