1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] 2012 Rate My Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2012.

1. what

what Member

My team: 14 team league, 20 rounds, ppr. .5 point for receptions, 6 points passing td.

qb
    1. - Cam Newton, 16. Mark Sanchez

wr
    2. Larry Fitzgerald, 3. Percy Harvin, 8. Mike Williams (tb), 9. James Jones (gb), 11. Mario Manningham, 12. David Nelson, 14 Mike Thomas, 15. Golden Tate

Rb
    4. Roy Helu, 5. Deangelo Williams, 6. Jonathan Stewart, 7. Micheal Bush, 10 Felix Jones, 13. Isaiah Pead

TE
    17. Jake Ballard, 19. Lance Kendricks

Defense
    18. Cinny

Kicker
    20. Billy Cundiff

2. Bornz

Bornz Member

So I decided to try my hand at a fantasy football league... I'm not too experienced with the NFL, football, or any type of fantasy league in general. I've been dying to get into fantasy for a long time so I decided to try my hand at it...

Here's my lineup:

(4) Aaron Rodgers QB
    (17) Andre Johnson WR
    (24) DeMarco Murray RB
    (37) John Kasay K (I wasn't paying attention and I accidentally made this pick. I got an ok trade with my bud to get Garrett Hartley, regardless, I got really distraught when this happened.)
    (44) Anquan Boldin WR
    (57) Texans D/ST D/ST
    (64) Brandon Lloyd WR
    (77) Demaryius Thomas WR
    (84) Roy Helu RB
    (97) Denarius Moore WR
    (104) Fred Davis TE
    (117) Alex Smith QB
    (124) Pierre Thomas RB
    (137) Lions D/ST D/ST
    (144) Brent Celek TE
    (157) Bernard Scott RB

My first impressions are that obviously I have a lot of Wide receivers, but I've heard how prone they are to injury so I decided to take a safe route out of it. If anything, they'll be good trade bait later on in the season. I'm also kinda worried about Andre. Do you guys think he's going to be a reliable option this year, or do you think he's just going to be probable for every game? There's a lot of questions and work to do with this team... but I'm ready for it. Especially since this will get me ready for Fantasy Basketball :)

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

12 team standard, 1RB/2WR/1Flex. Had the #1 pick.

QB - Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco
    RB - Arian Foster, Darren McFadden, Ryan Williams
    WR - Julio Jones, Marques Colston, Eric Decker, Kendall Wright, Danny Amendola
    TE - Jason Witten, Jared Cook
    D/ST - Seahawks
    K - Jason Hanson

Yeah, go ahead and drool. (And I only ended up with the underrated Seahawks defense because of a silly run on defenses in the 9th round.)

4. what

what Member

Damn it, I took a PUP player. At least it was in the 17th round. Jake Ballard. I hope Kendricks is going to do it for me. I deserve it after taking him in the 7th round last year.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Man that's a hell of a team. Only beef I would have would be Colston, it's probably just me but I trust no Saints fantasy players besides Graham and Brees. I'd attempt to trade him for an upgrade at RB to add depth.

Besides that everything else is pretty solid.

How in the hell did you end up with Foster, McFadden, and J. Jones all within the first 3 rounds? :confused: Crazy.

6. what

what Member

nobody's going to rate my draft?

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You took Jake Ballard.

I give your draft a C minus

8. Pete the Cheat

12 team, standard format
    QB - Eli Manning
    RB - Steven Jackson
    RB - Rashad Jennings
    WR - Demaryius Thomas
    WR - DeSean Jackson
    TE - Rob Gornkowski
    W/T - Jimmy Graham
    K - Rob Bironas
    DEF - NYJ

BENCH:
    RB - Willis McGahee
    RB - Ben Tate
    RB - David Wilson
    WR - Robert Meachem
    WR - Nate Washington
    WR - Michael Floyd
    TE - Dallas Clark

I got stuck at the end of the snake and went hailmary on Gronk/Graham back to back. I am known to wheel and deal, and figured either would net a better return than the plethora of comparable WRs I had to choose from at the time.

The way the NFL works, I expect Hernandez to have a better year than Gronk, so I am hoping for a big Week 1 and then looking to make a deal.

The owner of Hernandez in our league also owns Brees, so that is trade target #1.

As you can see from my draft strategy RB is on the soft side and WR is potential based.
    But I have always managed to cash in on both from the waiver wire, and have prime waiver positions. Handcuff RBs have been especially kind to me come playoff time...and considering all of the injury risk behind the top 3 RBs I am content playing handcuff games...

9. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Ah, a fellow Gronk & Grahamer...welcome! I'm starting to get worried myself about Hernandez having the monster year over Gronkowski. I've already handcuffed Demarco Murray (Felix Jones) and Kevin Smith (Mike LeShoure) through trades to hedge my ass. Hopefully your league owner with Foster has what you want for Ben Tate.

In the end, I think it will be Graham who stays just because he doesn't have another TE to threaten his greatness.

10. Pete the Cheat

Graham looks beastly. It wouldn't surprise me to see him challenging Gronk's record setting 2011 season statistically.

even if Gronk were to regress to what Hernandez put up last year, we are talking 900 yds and 7 TDs...there is plenty to go around in NE.

11. what

what Member

I knew that was pretty stupid. I had no clue the guy was hurt and once I got into the draft I keep passing up round after round without drafting a te because by the 7th round there was nobody that I couldn't live without so I kept drafting rb and wr.

Then at the end I saw ballard left and there was no injury icon next to his name so I thought I'd grab him. That was a huge gaff on my part, but honestly I don't care that much about my te position. Somebody will emerge for me in the first week. Hopefully Kendricks has his head on straight this year and I'll get some value from him.

12. AFS

AFS Member

Aaron Rodgers is solid.
    I think you have a reason to be worried about Andre. As much as we might hate it, he misses a lot of games, so I don't think he is going to be reliable. Don't think he was worth a second-round pick and you could have gotten someone else more reliable at that pick. I would have picked up the best RB available with it, since the WR depth this year is pretty good and you can get the same kind of WR production out of a 5th rounder as one picked in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    You took a kicker wayyyy too high. You always want to maximize the value of your draft pick and Kicker is a position where there isn't a huge difference between the top three kickers and the next ten after them. You might have also wanted to take a RB here.
    Also, you took defense way to high. If you really wanted the Texans, they should have still been there at the 7th or 8th round. Since you could have gotten them later, you wasted the other talent that you could have taken with that round's pick.
    You ended up with a pretty bad RB lineup. Only one of your players actually starts for his team (though Murray looked good in his first game), and in fantasy football, running backs are usually the most consistent source of points.
    If you end up playing in any other ff leagues, try a few mock drafts and get a feel for where players are being picked and their general value in other people's minds. You don't want to be making huge reaches with your picks (like you did with your kicker and your defense) otherwise it dilutes the value of your picks and you end up with a significantly worse team than everyone else.

13. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

I had the first pick as well in a 12 team ppr league and our teams are oddly similar. I also have: foster, mcfadden, decker, and flacco lol. It goes without saying that it looks like you had a great draft. Hooray for us.

14. dacodeman

dacodeman Member

10 league standard

2 WR, 2 RB, 1 w/r

QB - Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub
    RB - Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, Donald Brown, Jonathan Stewart, David Wilson
    WR - Roddy White, Steve Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Demaryius Thomas, Titus Young
    TE - Fred Davis
    K - Matt Bryant
    DEF - Green Bay

I have Rice and Brown starting with White, Smith. Maclin the w/r.

I am hoping MJD comes back to form quick. Any thoughts on my roster?

15. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

First time playing fantasy football. Starting to watch a little more football. Thought this may help. I can someone tell me where I stand from a point perspective. Or a excellent, very good, good, not sure, poor, very poor, quit.

Here's my team:

QB: Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck
    RB: A Foster/A Bradshaw/CJ Spiller/De Angelo Williams
    WR: Andre Johnson/ Dwayne Bowe / Miles Austin/ Gregg Little
    TE: Kyle Rudolph/ Coby Fleener/ Fred Davis
    K: Gould
    Defense: Steelers

Where do I stand?

Thanks in advance!

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Just had two PPR drafts this past week. Not feeling too well about either.

DRAFT 1 (with IDP):

QB - Phillip Rivers
    RB - Ray Rice
    RB- DeMarco Murray
    WR - Victor Cruz
    WR - Eric Decker
    TE - Antonio Gates
    K - Dan Bailey

DST - Chicago Bears

LB - Patrick Willis
    LB - Sean Lee
    DB - George Wilson
    DB- Mark Barron
    DL - Jared Allen
    DL - Justin Tuck

BENCH - Russell Wilson, David Wilson, Pierre Garçon, Justin Maclin, Romo

DRAFT 2 (non IDP)

QB - Peyton Manning
    RB - Darren McFadden
    RB- Darren Sproles
    WR - Calvin Johnson
    WR - Antonio Brown
    TE - Antonio Gates
    K - Dan Bailey

DST - Philadelphia Eagles

BENCH - Russell Wilson, Pierre Garçon, L.Blount, Ogletree, Ridley

17. JeopardE

It seemed everyone was scared of McFadden getting injured, but seriously ... bottom of the second round? I giddily gobbled him up. And yes, Roddy White, Wes Welker and Andre Johnson went ahead of Julio Jones which means quite a few people hadn't been paying attention. Gronkowski went in the 1st round and I think his owner will live to regret that decision.

18. JeopardE

At least one Boston writer has gone on record to state that Hernandez will catch more balls than Gronk this year, although Gronk is a bigger red zone target and will score TDs simply because of that.

I was all over Graham and would have taken him in the 2nd if I had the chance. He looks flat out uncoverable right now.

19. JeopardE

Decent team. Very good RB depth, decent WR depth as well. Your TEs are a questionable bunch. Fred Davis looks to have the most upside of them all but I'm quite iffy about him. Kyle Rudolph could surprise though.

I'm assuming you went Foster-Bradshaw-Johnson in your first 3 rounds?

20. JeopardE

My #1 rule of fantasy drafting:

Do not touch Shanahan running backs with a ten foot pole.

My #2 rule of fantasy drafting:

Always, ALWAYS, draft a stud running back with one of your first two picks.