1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] 2012 Rate My Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Round / Pick / Player / Position

1. (5) Drew Brees QB
    2. (12) Calvin Johnson WR
    3. (21) A.J. Green WR
    4. (28) Marques Colston WR
    5. (37) Trent Richardson RB
    6. (44) Fred Jackson RB
    7. (53) Michael Turner RB
    8. (60) Dwayne Bowe WR
    9. (69) Willis McGahee RB
    10. (76) Roy Helu RB
    11. (85) Tony Romo QB
    12. (92) Aaron Hernandez TE
    13. (101) Green Bay DEF
    14. (108) Jason Hanson K

Yahoo standard scoring, non-PPR, 8 team league, 2 RB 3 W/T. The first 4 picks were all 3 "top tier" RBs and Rodgers. I went with Brees because I figure 1) he's going to be calling the plays so more throwing than ever and 2) their defense should suck butt so they'll be playing catch-up most of the year.

After the top 5-ish RBs were gone, I felt like 5 through 20 were almost all the same, so I went after the elite WRs. I feel good about Green, but someone sniped Jimmy Graham out from under me in round 4, so I had to settle for Colston.

I feel like I got lucky getting Romo so late, because there's a real possibility the Saints crap the bed this year, and if so, I can plug in Romo and Bowe and be just fine. I'm high on McGahee and Jackson this year, but that said, if I can't pull 2 decent starters out of my band of misfit RBs, I'm probably screwed.

#1 DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. what

what Member

I like the dwayne bowe pick and the calvin johnson pick. Other than those two picks you were doing a lot of reaching.

In an 8 team league and you can manage no better than Trent Richardson as your #1 back behind Fred Jackson, Turner and Mcgahee.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The only remaining decent RBs on the board when I took Calvin were Lynch, MJD, and Peterson. I don't value any of those guys above him, do you? I had a shot at Murray or Mathews instead of Green, but frankly, I didn't see the point as I value them about as much as I do Jackson/Richardson.

4. what

what Member

That's what I mean, you should have picked up mathews (murray, I agree, he isn't all that), but taking aj green where you did was your first mistake.

Me personally, I think you were going to get trent richardson at any cost (which I believe is a big gamble and you reached on him, like a thousand fantasy football novices do.)

In my opinion, you don't target trent richardson, you let him fall to you in the 7th round.

I like Dwayne Bowe at 60, but I would never have taken green as high as you did, I would have went with Mathews and then I would have taken Antonio Brown where you took richardson at.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

You have a pretty good team, but some questions at the RB position. How will Fred Jackson come back from his ACL tear, how will Trent do in his first season, and Turner has been predicted by many to be this years bust.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm not buying into Mathews until he shows me he can make it more than 6 consecutive weeks without a significant injury. I'm also worried about Ronnie Brown sharing the workload and Jackie Battle in at goalline duty. The Chargers aren't a stock I'm buying this year overall.

Reached? At any cost? Targetted? I hesitated to take him. Hell, I didn't even really want him (nor do I want any Cleveland Brown on my team), but he was the only "feature" back left on the board (20+ carries a game). He's going on average at the 14th pick in Yahoo public leagues, and getting him in 37th overall is a reach to you? I agree I'm not stoked about him, but 7th round? There's probably not a league on earth where he goes that low.

Brown at 37th? Yikes man. He's going in the low 60s in most leagues. He went 71st in this particular draft, even. Why are you so high on him?

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

QB: Peyton Manning/Alex Smith
    WR: Calvin Johnson/Hakeem Nicks/Anquan Boldin/Denarius moore
    RB:Steven Jackson/Reggie Bush/Isaac Redman/Ben Tate/Mark Ingram
    TE: Rob Gronkowski/Jared Cook
    Def: Houston
    K: Gano Graham
    12 team draft
    Mock draft but posting anyways. Not happy with RB but that's why it is a mock :grin:

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

1. Arian Foster (Hou - RB)
    2. Matt Forte (Chi - RB)
    3. Victor Cruz (NYG - WR)
    4. Eli Manning (NYG - QB)
    5. Aaron Hernandez (NE - TE)
    6. Stevie Johnson (Buf - WR)
    7. Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
    8. Michael Floyd (Ari - WR)
    9. Houston (Hou - DEF)
    10. Alshon Jeffery (Chi - WR)
    11. Ben Tate (Hou - RB)
    12. Mark Ingram (NO - RB)
    13. Andy Dalton (Cin - QB)
    14. Rueben Randle (NYG - WR)
    15. Randy Bullock (Hou - K)

10 team, yahoo standard

had second pick

QB E Manning/A Dalton
    RB A Foster/M Forte/B Tate/M Ingram
    WR V Cruz/S Johnson/D Bowe/Mi Floyd/A Jeffery/R Randle
    TE A Hernandez
    K R Bullock
    D Texans

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Love the RB Corp, Tate was a spectacular handcuff. You should be set for the year there. Your backup WRs don't appear to have a lot of upside (I'm thinking you'll wash your hands of Randle and Floyd by midseason), but Jeffery might have a big year. I'm curious who else was available for backup QB to you besides Dalton, might have been worth it to gamble on a guy like Cutler or RG3 there. You jumped at a defense way too early, I'm not expecting the Texans D to be fantasy gods this year either. Bullock hasn't even won the kicking job, but hey, it's your last pick so who cares eh?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Banking on a rookie wide out to be huge.

I've given up on kickers. They're disposable.

Carson Palmer and Sanchez was picked up by someone else later in the round. Can't say if that was autoed or not. Everyone took defense in the 8th or 9th round.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Damn, Aaron Hernandez went till the 12th round? I think he will be between 3-5 top TEs. Nice pick.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

3 keepers that can only be kept for 3 years league.

QB - Vick, RG3
    RB - Chris Johnson, Demarco Murray, Trent Richardson, Stevan Ridley, Peyton Hillis
    WR - Julio Jones, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Denarius Moore
    TE - Jermichael Finley
    K - Janikowski
    DEF - Steelers, NYG

13. what

what Member

Judging on where everyone is taking Bowe, he might be a undervalued player that I'd need to look into. That is insane value you got him in the 7th round.

Hell, he could easily put up Larry Fitzgerald numbers.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Our league doesn't use pure TEs, it's all W/T spots. I think he will make a serviceable 3rd receiver for me in a pinch.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think I might I have been knocking the brews back a little too fast during our draft yesterday. I'm still optimistic though:

10 Team League
    Pick #7

QB: Vick, P. Manning, Bradford

RB: Chris Johnson, M. Turner, J. Charles, J. Stewart

WR: B. Llyod, Garcon, Crabtree, S. Rice

TE: Vernon Davis, Tamme

K: Randy Bullock

DL: Cameron Wake, JJ Watt

LB: NaVorro Bowman, Von Miller, Luke Kuechly

DB: Ed Reed

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Just did my 2nd Yahoo Pro ($20) draft. I think I did pretty well! 3rd pick, 10 teams.

QB: Eli - Freeman
    WR: Fitz/Jordy/Vinc Jackson - Tor Smith/Lance Moore
    RB: McCoy/Lynch - Reggie Bush/Hillis/D. Wilson
    TE: Gonzalez
    Def: Chi
    K: Gould

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Obviously dependent on getting lucky with a couple of backs. For me, Colston was the mistake. I know he finished last year in total beast mode, but you can't convince me there weren't better options.

AJ Green could be a mistake as well. Sophmore slumps are a scary reality, and you need Dalton and Green to both avoid them. I think they will be good, but a higher risk than he may be worth. I might have gambled on Murray or Mathews instead. I think the risk/reward would have been better.

If you can trade for an improvement at RB1, you will be in great shape.

18. juicystream

Hard to be high on Forte with Bush around. Of course without Bush he'd probably have gone in the 1st. You could use another RB & maybe a better QB (Eli is so hit and miss).

19. juicystream

Trade Vick for a WR.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This is the strategy I'm going to use early in the year. If I get a big week from Hernandez or Bowe, I may ship one out for an RB2.

Or if someone has a QB that is struggling, I may dangle Romo out there.