1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flying with Small Children - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are flying to Florida for a family vacation next week. It will be me, my wife and our twin 10-month old boys...

Any suggestions on how to make this experience a little more bearable? Baby Benadryl? I've already loaded up on drink coupons to give to the unfortunate soul who happens to sit next to us. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I've flown with my young kids multiple times...including with 2 under 2 to Europe. (We're going again in a week, now at ages 4 & 3)

Honestly, at 10 months it should not be so bad as they're still more-or-less hold-able and willing to be held. It's also a short flight. My son at 3 months just ate and slept like normal all they way to Germany (the plane's vibration helps, actually).

Benadryl makes some kids hyper so watch out. In any case, even if it is effective they may be too upset to notice. My daughter shook it off like a charging rhino hit with a bb gun. That flight was tuuurible.

You can get travel-type games for them. We found some little puzzles that came in a neat box so that it stored easily. For our older child stickers seems to be an easy way to amuse. At 10 months though, that's probably not necessary - just bring a couple of pacifiers, food, and the oh-so-pleasant changing pad.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

1 person likes this.
  3. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Do you use pacifiers? I've heard that using a pacifier can be helpful for babies during takeoff and landing to relieve pressure in their ears.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have only had 2 experience flying with my daughter. We flew when she was about 2. On the way there she was free and able to sit in the lap of others. Since she turned 2 on our trip she was required to sit in a seat on the way back. Much worse. As stated above, since you will be able to hold them that should help a lot.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

lollipops and pacifiers. The discomfort is in their ears, so you need to help their ears "pop".

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Don't drug your kids. Wel, OK, do so if you know it's safe... try a small dosage BEFORE, like on a Saturday afternoon, on a long drive in town, etc., but... stay away from it.

Teach the kids to behave and read something like a book or play a small board game like Cherry-Oh's or even checkers in the plane.

Take many books. Talk to them until they fall asleep, maybe keep them up late and don't let them sleep so much BEFORE? How long is the flight, maybe 2 hours?

My daughters at 10 and 8 did well while listening to music and reading books to Hawaii, but all I can tell you is they knew to behave well... I know there's a huge age difference, but I'm just saying it's my experience. :cool:

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Make sure they have a bottle at take off and landing. Our kiddo did awesome on her first trip at 9 months.

And security was a breeze with her.

1 person likes this.
  8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

At 10 months, that's hopeless. We can do that now with our 2 y/o.

At 10 months, DO NOT tire them out beforehand (skipping nap, shorter night of sleep) - an overtired baby is a powderkeg.

Benadryl will work 75% of the time....but will backfire 25%. And if it backfires, you've got a kid that will not sleep and will scream because they're so cranky from it. If you use it, give it a little before you board (not once you're seated - too late). Immediately follow it up with a meal.

It's not a good reason by itself to do it - but if the kids are prone to ear infections, getting tubes placed will make the pressure changes a complete nothing for them on future flights.

If they do watch any TV at this point, bust out the iPod/tablet/phone/DVD player and let them watch something.

1 person likes this.
  9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Flying with children? Be sure to avoid aligators and flamboyantly dressed men

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Good Luck. Try for bulkhead seats. Airlines (at least Delta) tends to leave those open for families with smaller children to sit in. Call them and see if those seats can already be assigned to you. On some flights they also have little bassinets that hook on to the bulkhead wall.

When our granddaughter was 10 months we flew to Paris with her. My wife and daughter made a palette for her on the bulkhead floor and she did great.

We are taking the kids and grandkids to San Jose, CA. and Hawaii starting tomorrow. The 4 1/2 year old went with us to Canada two years ago and spent the entire flight time on the iPad so he should't be a problem. This will be the 18 months old's first flight.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

iPad or Tab.

Load them with games and movies.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

another approach:

bose noise cancelling headphones for yourself and wife -- that way you don't have to hear crying, screams, etc.

possible downside: not ideal for other passengers

14. Granville

Granville Member

Southwest is a good option to get seats near the front of the plane. They let handicapped people and families on first so the open seating helps assure you get a seat near the front and get off the plane quicker.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: ignore your own children????

It's not "The Simpsons"! ;)

16. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I agree. Teach your 10-month old kids how to read and play checkers in preparation for this trip. :)

2 people like this.
  17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not really - families with small children are allowed after the A group, before the B group.

You or your wife could early bird ($10) while the other checks in promptly at 24 hrs ahead of time. That makes it a lock at least one of you board in the A group, and gives you a decent shot at getting a "good" A number. But the Rapid Rewards A Listers will definitely be ahead of you.

We've taken to sitting in the far back. No one behind us, so fewer people affected if our son goes stereo (he's been a great flyer, though - only one bad trip due to a horribly timed ear infection). Also, exceedingly easy access to the lavatory if needed. Attendants also more likely to slip you an apple juice if you're sitting right there next to them.

Also, it's been my experience that seat snobs that fight to be at the front of planes are the least tolerant of little kids. The schmoes that sit in the far back because it's all that's left are somewhat resigned to their fate.

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

BOSE Headphones are the best for my business trips...I dont hear crap. But when I've flown with my little ones. My wife made sure to take games, puzzles, crayons and books, etc.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good stuff, thanks everyone.

They are too young for books, movies, games etc. We are taking a portable DVD player and their Baby Mozart DVD. They love that.

We're flying United and we "upgraded" to seats with "up to 5 more inches" of legroom. Not sure if that will make much difference but why not try. We tried to get the bulkhead seats but they were already taken. Maybe we can con the people in them into trading for some drink coupons? I'd take that trade in a millisecond.

We're going to try and time their bottles so they can start on them right when we take off. They don't really do pacifiers anymore.

Damn, you are a braver man than me!

Good to know. That was one of the things I was wondering about.

Believe it or not, this might be my favorite post in this thread.

#19 ima_drummer2k, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  20. updawg

updawg Member

I always try to book an early flight. That way when you get on the plane they take a nap. Do not let them sleep on the drive to the airport

I always sit in the back as well. I think there's louder engine noise which is good white noise. plus frequent travelers are usually up front.
    Bring food, pacifiers, etc

I've never had a problem when they are that young its when they get 3+ yrs old they get restless and want to move around, play with the tray etc

That's a short flight do it shouldn't be bad.

You can gate check your stroller check your car seats for free on all the airlines ive flown

1 person likes this.