1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Connor McGregor August 26th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CallMeTheDream, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Mr. Space City

All that talk about mcgregor's hitting power did not translate to boxing at all.

In MMA he's basically a boxer who prefers to fight standing up as opposed to on the ground. He's not really a great wrestler or grappler. All his 3 losses in MMA came from submission.

In boxing his hand speed was slow, his accuracy was poor, and he really had no power.

Mayweather never respected his power. You don't usually see mayweather walk a boxer down, keep his head down, and primarily try to box inside. He would only fight someone like that if he felt they've had no threat to knock him out.

After that early uppercut Conor landed on Floyd that didn't even phase him, he knew he had nothing for him.

#241 Mr. Space City, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Roy is my favorite boxer of all-time. He had no chin, and people didn't discover that until after he won the heavyweight championship of the world.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. sew

sew Member

How do you guys think a fight in the octagon would go? I personally doubt Mayweather makes it passed 2 minutes.

Connor was handled, no doubt, but he still did A LOT better than most thought.

4. rockbox

Floyd does not take risks. He is a very cerebral boxer. He knew Connor would be gassed after a few rounds after watching the Diaz fight, so he stuck to the game plan.

5. Mr. Space City

I think Floyd would be better than people expect, especially against Mcgregor who isn't even a great wrestler who wants to keep the fight standing up.

But it's no point even talking about it. UFC don't have deep enough pockets to get Floyd into an octogon anyways and he's getting older and older each day.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. rockbox

You don't think Floyd couldn't learn how to defend himself from a take down like other strikers that do MMA have?

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This was a show, Mayweather could've knocked him out early but wasn't supposed to.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Started 49-1. That one was a DQ. Suck it Mayweather. Roy took all comers too.

9. sew

sew Member

It's not just TDD that Floyd would have to learn though. He'd have to learn how to defend against elbows/knees and other strikes from the clinch. He'd have to learn how to defend against other striking disciplines eg Muay Thai, kick boxing, karate -- and this is just stand up. Haven't even mentioned, jiu jitzu, wrestling, judo etc etc.

I'm probably not giving Floyd enough credit, but I don't think he'd do as well in MMA as Connor did in boxing. Just my opinion.

#249 sew, Aug 27, 2017
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

False. McGregor had him confused and won the first two-three rounds with pure savvy.

Discounting McGregor's talent and intelligence is absurd.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Not too wild honestly, he is just in a different sort of shape. It's like being in shape as a linebacker compared to a wide receiver.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. Mr. Space City

His stamina not good in MMA too tho.

#252 Mr. Space City, Aug 27, 2017
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nate Diaz 2 was insane stamina, against a guy 20 lbs heavier... 5 round decision...

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Not at all a boxer in MMA, not even close. He uses sooooo many more tools in a real fight as opposed to a boxing match, where a guy can just turn his back to you and run away without repercussions.

Also, he is a Jiu Jitsu Black Belt with an excellent guard and ground game.

15. Mr. Space City

yet that stamina was no where to be seen in the mayweather fight.

I heard MMA fans talk about how much stamina an MMA fighter has (more than a boxer) and a top MMA fighter was gassed in 4 boxing rounds.

Stamina is stamina.

#255 Mr. Space City, Aug 27, 2017
  16. Mr. Space City

I've watched Mcgregor in MMA. His ground game is mediocre. It's his weekness. That's why he lost 3 times by submission and only has 1 defeat by submission.

He primary wants to stay up and use his hands. he can do more than just punch but his hands are his bread and butter and what got him a name in MMA.

#256 Mr. Space City, Aug 27, 2017
  17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You don't have to like floyds style or him as a person but he's literally fought every world champ of his era.

The ducking fighters argument is lame his resume is as good as any fighter of the last 25-30 years.

I'm a big Roy Jones he can myself he was hands down my favorite fighter, def more exciting than Floyd but he was accused of a lot of the same things ppl say about Floyd which was him ducking certain fights.

It's all BS floyd and Roy are two of the best fighters of the last 40 years both HOFers and derserve the respect for at the very least what they accomplished inside the square circle.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That doesn't matter right now. The worst of Harvey is going on right now.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He's an underrated kicker and his take down defense has improved a lot since the Diaz I fight.

Honestly his striking and distance/counter punching skills are so far advanced over any mma fighter currently in his division. I personally can't imagine him losing anytime soon in an mma match.

He reminds me of prime Anderson silva were he just was ahead of his time with the standup game and ppl couldn't even come near him without getting clipped.

Silve was much better on the ground tho but I do think conor is superior in stand up.

I don't understand the hate conor gets in mma (well yes i do he loud flashy and cocky) but his skills as a mma fighter are some of the best Iv seen and the stuff he's good at is a lot more pleasing on the eye to the casual fan than the wresting grapple guys.

The guy is a stud and while I'm a boxing fan first and Formost I'm also a conor fan and he's made me appreciate the UFC and mma much more than I did.

Him fighting and actually winning some rounds against mayweather in boxing is going to make him that much more dangerous in the octagon.

Unless you can somehow get him to the ground your not going to be mcgregor anytime soon.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

We could use a Roy Jones jr KO on Harvey right now I do agree with that.

Fook that guy!!!!