1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Connor McGregor August 26th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CallMeTheDream, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree but let's be honest..., floyd was walking this dude down. that right there is all you need to know about connor's abilities as a boxer. floyd walking somebody down LOL, how many times has that happened?!?!

also consider that after round 2, it looked like floyd "carried" him to round 10. floyd knew early it was over but wanted a "show"

i give connor credit though, he did a yeomans job but it was never gonna be a classic boxing match. or to put it this way, this fight as entertainment was closer to circus freak show than a boxing show if that analogy makes sense.

Yung-T and don grahamleone like this.
  2. ipaman

i'll read between the lines as soon as you stop lying to people just so you can make your point

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was thoroughly entertained by this match, but I like it when a tough guy tries to get at a boxer. It was the same thing with Pacquiao, everyone thought he was too powerful for Mayweather, but people forget how technical Floyd is. The dude comes from a fighting family, it's been with him since birth. Connor was just another in the long line of tough guys that couldn't keep up. I appreciate that though. But you're right, it comes off as a circus act. I just accept it for what it is. The dude is almost a flawless fighter, but there was some excitement early. I honestly thought it was going to get called for all the wrestling/back of head MMA style punches that Connor threw. Too bad those gloves aren't designed for that kind of work.

I think Connor would kill him in an MMA fight, but I also don't think Mayweather is stupid enough to challenge him in a sport that's out of his league.

ipaman likes this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Older sure, better and more sophisticated....definitely not imo. The training and technique MMA fighters have is infinitely more impressive than a skill set of a boxer to me. And like I said, a true fighter like McGregor was able to go 10 rounds with "the best" after training for a few weeks. Floyd would leave the octagon in a body bag.

tmactoyao and mikol13 like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

Connor only went 10 rounds because that was the easiest gameplan for mayweather.

In his corner his dad was saying wait until the 4th then take over.

6. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

imagine prime mike tyson with take down defense

7. don grahamleone

40 years from now when MMA fighters start having generations to study, maybe then it's just as sophisticated. For now, boxing is ten times the tactical sport that MMA is. How often is a fighter's defense so good that he can choose to either win by going to the cards or knocking the guy out? Mayweather literally has that choice and makes it during the fights. Connor hurt him in the last round, so when he realized Connor could win if he kept playing around, he went and won by TKO. When MMA gets that sophisticated, wake me up, but for now nobodies can beat champions in that sport. Defense is not worked out. When they know countering as well as Mayweather does in boxing, I'll watch it. For now it's just a sport where they look for a mistake then the fight is over 12 seconds later. Maybe that's exciting, but that's not sophisticated.

rockbox, Aceshigh7, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  8. ipaman

exactly this, the legal brutal attacks in mma means nobody's can beat "champions." it's a weird sport that way which creates excitement in the short term but at the expense of it's long term legacy imo.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Mr. Space City

It's wild hearing Connor in the post-fight interview talk about how fatigued he was.

He's 29 years old in his prime and he was huffin and wheezin by the 4th round.

Floyd 40 years old and retired and was still relatively fresh in the late rounds.

It shows how well conditioned professional boxers are and how well conditioned Floyd is.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

That's why I keep saying that Harden should train as a boxer. It gives you unbelievable abilities without changing too much about you. (not that you know that I'm on record saying that, but I've been saying it for years)

Yung-T and Mr. Space City like this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You know they intentionally dragged out the fight, right? You don't end a PPV of this proportion in <4 rounds, even Vegas had the odds at ~9.5 rounds because it was painfully obvious. This whole freaking fight was about money and entertainment, it's baffling to see some people trying to draw actual conclusions from this bout.

Mayweather is one of the most dominant boxers of all time and also has power, he could've destroyed Conor and his non-existent defense within the first rounds.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The marathon strategy worked but it could have backfired had McGregor had the stamina to continue. It appeared to be a close fight perhaps with McGregor ahead until the final rounds.

It was funny to see Mayweather bait McGregor by keeping his head down or turning his back causing McGregor to instinctively react like a MMA fighter.

tinman likes this.
  13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Entertaining match. More entertaining than I was expecting.

I respect Mayweather but I wouldn't call him the best ever. I place Roy Jones Jr., Lennox Lewis, and Nigel Benn all above him. Just my personal opinion though.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conor is amazing. What a talent. Bruce Lee out there...

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conor might have won the 4th, and the 8th. Pretty close even during the "takeover".

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Mayweather toyed with him, he could've probably knocked him out in round 1 or 2 if he really wanted. McGregor had no defense at all.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Boxers are better conditioned in general but Floyd is a freak of nature in terms of conditioning. There is a reason why he can play pickup games with legit NBA players without being laughed off the court. Mayweather is a once in a generation athlete.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

Played semi-pro basketball. Often had games and boxing matches on the same day. If you're arguing that they're of two different generations, I'll slip back to the shadows.

rockbox and KingCheetah like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Of course he was fatigued -- if Floyd tried to go 5 rounds fighting MMA he would be just as exhausted (muscle memory/ different sports). Mayweather was dominate last night, but he looked like 40 year old Floyd out there -- the 37 yo that dominated Canalo just 3 years ago would have KO'd Connor in 3 rounds.

sew likes this.
  20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's like expecting Usain Bolt to win a two mile race because it involves running.

RudyTBag likes this.