1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[fivethirtyeight]Ty Lawson Moves The Rockets Closer To The West’s Top Tier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Garner

Garner Member

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

We essentially bring back the same team that lost in the WCF except we have subtract Josh Smith and replaced him with Ty Lawson, Marcus Thornton, Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell. That by itself is a pretty substantial upgrade to the team.

Add the fact that DMo and Pat Beverly were not available but should both be healthy and ready to go for the season. Additionally Clint Capela should be substantially better as a 2nd year player.

I'm trying to figure out how any team in the west outside of GSW is suddenly better than the Rockets when they were not better than them last season.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I do hear you and I agree but let's. It act like its a big slight. I mean they only have GSW who waxed us 5/9 games and won 8 of them and the new look spurs who just added LMA and David West. Personally I like Houston better than the spurs and think we can finally give GSW a run for their money. I mean it was just 2 years ago that we would beat the warriors up and down the court. They had a great year but I think they will regress back to the 55-60 win range.

4. jamescar

jamescar Member

You have to like the Spurs offseason, and the Thunder never really played together last season.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If OKC at their best won 60 games, and we won 56 last year with Howard and Jones out for more then half the season, then we should beat them out since Durant's coming off of injury, they have a new coach. Plus we got Lawson.

60+ win season for us, 55+ win season for them IMO. I think we will be tied with the Clips if anybody. But I think Lawson + health > Pierce, Smith, Stephenson additions.

6. crash5179

I mostly like the Spurs off season.

But I also like the Rockets off season. Health, Ty Lawson, Marcus Thornton are huge. The Rockets are younger, better and deeper than the Spurs IMO.

7. Garner

Garner Member

The cores of the three teams we are ranked with are simply more accomplished than this Houston team at this point. Houston definitely has a competitive squad, but it's hard to put the rockets over two MVPs and a dynasty.

8. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

OKC is so overhyped

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They also have a pretty clutch player in Harden. People forget Harden alone almost won us games 1 & 2 against GSW. Who do the Spurs have that is like that? Maybe LMA, maybe Duncan? They have talent, but we have the real MVP.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

West looks tougher than usual this season. Don't mind this at all.

11. crash5179

Yes they had a 60 win season a few years ago and a 59 win season 2 years ago. Of course since then they have lost some key pieces in those season such as Thabo Sefelosha and Kevin Martin. I think people underestimate how important Thabo was to their success. He was the perfect compliment to Westbrook and Durant. He was a 3 and D shooting guard and a lock down defender on the wings. There are very few defenders that consistently play James Harden as good as Thabo did.

With Deon Waiters and Enis Kanter inserted into the starting line-up they have really gone backwards on defense. Personally I would start Steve Adams over Kanter because Adams is a superior defender but there is no way you give Kanter the max and put him on the bench. I guess they could go back to starting Andre Roberson but he just provides nothing at all on offense.

The West is tougher now than it was when OKC won 60 games IMO. OKC has a ton of question marks that need to be answered about their team including their new coach who wasn't all that good in Phoenix. I'll just hold off picking them over HOU for now.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think it is a guess at this point. the grizzlies could land anywhere from 3-6. but the rest of the teams (warriors,rockets,clippers,spurs,thunder) could be anywhere from 1-6 and i wouldn't be surprised. so take every single guess as what it is a guess.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I disagree. When KD and WB are both healthy, the Thunder don't lose that many games.

The Thunder just don't fall apart with their duo, if healthy.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Not even close, they've been the best team in the league for the last 3 years they've just been killed by injuries.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In 1995 the top four seeds were as follows:

62-20 Spurs
    59-23 Suns
    60-22 Jazz
    57-25 Sonics

I could see this season having a similar stretch of teams at the top. Yes it is unusual. And yes, our Rockets did beat three of these teams en route to the championship.

But this is how I see the current season playing out:

62-20 Spurs
    60-22 Warriors
    59-23 Rockets
    57-25 Clippers

As far as OKC, I feel like the spectre of Durant's FA will just be too much to keep that team in the upper echelon. And where will their defense come from?

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

??? OKC has been one of the best defensive teams in the league for years.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I still think we have a big problem
    How are we going to take care of Griffin and Aldridge and Ibaka with no Josh Smith

I like DMo but I wouldn't say he's proven he can handle them and he's coming off back surgery.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Interesting. I wouldn't have pegged Bev as the only person w/ positive offensive and defensive ratings.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin: I kid.... kinda? Kinda.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets were ranked 8th in the West going into last season by this same metric.