1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First round QB: Not the Belichick way

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobbythegreat, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It has been assumed that O'Brien is a Belichick acolyte since he got his first chance in the NFL under Belichick in NE and since becoming a head coach has made several coaching hires from that NE system.

It is for this reason (among others) that I think the Texans will not be drafting a first round QB this year.

The reason I say this is that there is nothing more "anti-Belichick" than drafting a QB in the first round. To show this, here are all of the first round picks BB teams have made

2013- no first round pick, first pick was a LB
    2012- 2 first round picks, one DE, one LB
    2011- O-line
    2010- DB
    2009- No first round pick, first pick was a DB
    2008- LB
    2007- DB
    2006- RB
    2005- O line
    2004- NT and TE
    2003- DE
    2002- TE
    2001- DE
    2000- No first round pick, first pick was O line
    As Assistant Head coach on the Jets
    1999- No first round pick, first pick was O line
    1998- No first round pick, first pick was DE
    1997- LB
    As Browns Head Coach
    1995- LB
    1994- DB and WR
    1993- O line
    1992- RB
    1991- DB
    As Giants Defensive Coordinator
    1990- RB
    1989- O line
    1988- O line
    1987- WR
    1986- DE
    1985- RB

He doesn't allow any team he's a major part of to go QB in the first round, or even with their first pick at all. Of the major BB acolytes, only one has ever picked a QB in the first round and that's Josh McDaniels who used his second first round pick on Tim Tebow and was fired after week 12 of that year.

If O'Brien really is a Belichick guy, we'll be drafting defense with the first pick or trading back to draft defense or O line.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm pretty sure it helps when you find a future hall of fame QB in the second day of the draft.

Also the Giants had Phil Simms, the Jets had Vinny Testaverde, and the Browns have had no QB in the common era worth a damn and still remain worth a damn. So your point eludes me...

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Only reason you draft a QB in the first is to become you're future starting qb either that season or in the immediate future. They had Brady, why waste a first rounder of a qb that will be benched?

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm also wondering why the colts never drafted a QB in the first round from 98 to 2010.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then you aren't trying to get it. He's literally never drafted a QB in the first round, neither has any of his acolytes besides McDaniels and even then it wasn't his first pick. The Belichick way it to take a QB later and make them good using your system.

Also, you list Vinny Testaverde as if he was a good QB....he had a couple of decent years but those were long gone by the late 90's.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize that Belichick started coaching after he picked Brady and that all of his acolytes also had Brady on their teams.....

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

28 #1 picks in a row!!!! How does he do it?!?!?

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's official...welcome to my ignore list

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He got fired in Cleveland without a QB.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Works for me, honestly I wish about half the people that have responded so far would do the same. Reading comprehension is not a strong skill around these parts it seems. I make a list going back to 1985, and also include several other head coaches of different teams and people talk about Brady.....it's just sad.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Because 1985 NFL is the same as 2014 NFL, right? Since the game has become a QB driven league, BB has had Brady. This list is pointless.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

There's really nothing to get. You find a diamond in the rough, that is Brady, that's all.

And have any of his acolytes been successful so far without drafting a QB in the first round. NO! The only one that was semi-successful was McDaniels when he and Tim Tebow took the Broncos out of the first round of the playoffs. So you're point is mute.

Every situation is different and anything can happen. But for you to say that just because Belichick did it this was and was successful means everyone else does and will makes no sense at all, especially when his predecessors have been unsuccessful with these methods themselves.

Vinny was Vinny, nothing special but they had their starting QB entrenched in that role at the time so there was not need, in their eyes, to find a QB in the first.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, a decision that I'd bet Cleveland regrets.

....did I say it was a list OF 1985, or a list SINCE 1985? also, included in my argument are several other former recent head coaches. Please do better.

Also, you fail to understand the manner in which BB got Brady to begin with.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty sure john fox was there when the Broncos got to the playoffs. Pretty much all of Bill's acolytes have sucked.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am pretty sure you know this but Belicheck is not the Texans head coach.

[​IMG]

#16 Old Man Rock, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  17. Remii

Remii Member

Actually McDaniels got fired the year before. Fox was coaching when Tebow lead Denver to the playoffs and beat Denver.

I think McDaniels was too young and wasn't ready to be a head coach at that time. He'll get another chance though.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I mean Pittsburgh.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh god what a terrible argument. Let's do this one at a time.....ugh.

Well clearly you didn't "get" anything, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to get.

So is your argument that the only reason BB was successful was because he drafted Brady?

None of them have been successful period, but that's not the point, I'm talking about their actions, not if they were successful or not.

Actually that's not true, he was fired after the 12th game of the year. Please know what you are talking about if you are going to attempt to correct me.

No point in the history of points has ever been "mute" there have been "moot" points before, but never "mute" points. Please do better.

I get that every situation is different, yet every situation BB or his acolytes have ever been in, they've never drafted a QB with their first pick. I'm predicting actions, not success.

There has NEVER been a need, in BB's eyes to find a QB in the first.....that's the point.

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He had Bledsoe.

Any your point on Testeverde, is the same type of point you could make for Andy Dalton. Fact of the matter is, if you have an above average player that gets you to the playoffs RARELY do you draft another QB because odds of finding one better in the middle/late first round are hard.

Belichick has always played with a good enough or great QB, so he's never had a need.

BTW the second Josh McDaniels took head coaching job for the Broncos he traded up to the 1st round to get Tim Tebow. He wanted a QB because the Broncos didn't have 1 (Kyle Orton blows).