1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Round of Cuts For the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by arkoe, Mar 18, 2004.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Names that had been mentioned for the pen include Hernandez, Bullinger, and Buchholz. I'm somewhat surprised that all three got sent to the minors in the first major round of cuts.

2. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Yea I'd heard especially good things about Bucholz and Astacio, and I figured with Wagner gone, we'd need some middle inning relief...hmmmm whatever

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bullinger was a longshot from the beginning.

I think Gerry had decided Hernandez and Buchholz would start in AAA. That's looking like a NICE rotation: Hernandez, Buchholz, Qualls, Houlton, and Robertson or someone else.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

AAA starting rotation competition will also include:

Sessions
    Sarloos
    Fernandez
    Rosario (evetually)

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Saarloos is actually projected into middle relief for NO, probably Fernandez as well. I think I saw that Sessions will be in Round Rock, at least to start the season. Rosario isn't going to pitch this year at all (a la Carlos Hernandez).

I think that Hun wants to start maximizing innings for the guys that are truly in the running to start the season in Houston. Hernandez, Qualls, Buckholz, et al were pretty much given that they would be in AAA. They don't want Hernandez and Buckholz in the pen because of their respective upsides as starters. We all know what Hernandez is capable of and is probably the first call up in case of injury.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

the astros are gonna have one hell of a starting rotation on the AAA level.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And that relates to a trickle down effect on Round Rock and the A affiliates. I live about 5 miles from Dell Diamond and I am looking foward to another Texas League championship here.

8. kevwun

kevwun Member

Hernandez and Buchholz were never in consideration to make the big league club. Sitting in the bullpenwould not benefit them at all, they need starter innings. You might have read it somewhere, but it was just a writer pulling names out of the air.