1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Every year he comes back to make the same mistakes. Runs harden into the ground. 6 man rotation. Plays luc in a meaningless game. Plays westbrooks in a meaningless game. No timeouts. No adjustments. No plays. Just bullshit system ball.

fattz likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*Rockets lose playoff game*

"Well...we just didn't hit enough of our 3's" - MDA

*Repeat 800 times*

That's all he knows how to do. Shoot more 3's. That's it. I guess it is what it is.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

+27 in game 1 when he actually got minutes...MDA proceeds to barely play him after and run his other guys into the ground playing effectively a 6 man rotation. What an idiot.

HardenVolumeOne and PeterKingX like this.
  5. Chamillionaire

I think it's time. I like Mike, but he's gotta go. These guys need to be held accountable.

tinman likes this.
  6. Mr. Space City

went a quarter where 90% of their FGA were 3's.

24 hour fitness basketball. anybody on here could coach a team to just chuck 3's.

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Mike's game plan which he so regrets that he did not implement while he was in Phoenix:

Shoot 50+ 3 points a game, contested or not, and hope to go on a streak.

[​IMG]

Dont even need to call a time out. What are you going tell the players? Shoot more threes?

[​IMG]

#927 Zboy, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    tinman, PeterKingX and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Rockets may win this series but
    Honestly I am still ready for him to go

Rocket River

9. tinman

Supporting Member

there are people on this board who will twitter spam you if you criticize the coach for not coaching

Chamillionaire and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

There are clear coaching problems on this team.
    A real fan can see that, a blind fan can't.

fattz likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MDA for some reason thinks Harden can play a whole half of basketball. IT NEVER WORKS! MDa always panics.. Play the bench and give Harden some time to rest because Harden is never mentally there to perform when he is gassed.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not to defend D'Antoni but don't pretend the next Morey puppet is gonna come in & change anything or they're gonna shoot less threes.

Maybe the new coach will want a center (who's taller than 6'5), maybe the new coach will play 8/9 guys instead of 6/7, maybe the new coach will emphasize defense but stop spamming threes?

Morey & math nerds: 3>2 3>2 let's spam up threes! Let's go 0-27! 3>2 3>2

GotGame15, kjayp, JW86 and 4 others like this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

On board with firing DAntoni. These constant mistakes is just who he is. We may as well fire Morey too because relying on volume three point shooting isn’t an end of game strategy unless you have elite three point shooters. We’ve proven time and again now that it doesn’t work even with one of the elite scorers in basketball history.

ashleyem and pippendagimp like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mda is and has always been his own worst enemy. panics and freezes up in pressure games every single year. reverts to shortening his bench and over-working certain players. 2 games in a row he has been completely horrid in the 4th

tinman and JW86 like this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah man, I really don't agree, there's levels to this. Shooting lots of 3s is good, I don't even think this is debatable. Morey and the rockets ushered this in, and the entire league has copied them. You can't compete anymore if you want to shoot less than 25 a game. But that doesn't mean you have to go full Mike D'Antoni and shoot 60 a game. It's possible to have a great coach who understands the value of the 3 without taking 60 a game.

CometsWin likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Man...do you all even see what happens when Harden is on the bench. Do you guys see what happend last game when MDA didnt panic, we lost all of the minutes without Harden.

17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I've said it over and over again, there's no way Houston can win big things with this style of play and these players.
    What Houston plays is not basketball, it is a three-point shooting competition. There is no other game plan. MDA is a predictable coach who does not know how to make the necessary adjustments.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are you sure this excuses MDA though? To me this is just another shot at him. Why is our team so clueless and terrible when James sits? Isn't it possible that with better coaching our non-Harden unit could play better, allowing him to sit longer?

I'm not a basketball expert by any means, so I can't offer any x's and o's advice here, but one thing that drives me nuts is how fast they play when Harden is on the bench. If you want to maximize Harden getting rest, you should slow down the pace as much as possible while he's out. If you're playing at a really slow pace it's not possible to give up a 10-0 run in 90 seconds. Take the entire shot clock, don't crash the glass, hustle back on defense, don't shoot long 3s above the break...just slow the game way way way down. Take your full 24 and don't let the other team get out in transition. Even if your bench is terrible, if every possession by both teams takes 24 seconds they really can't cut your lead quickly.

fattz likes this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

Yup, I’ve been done. How can a coach not realise that benching guys shows a lack of trust in general and then do it 2 games in a row after saying it was his mistake last game?!

A coach who doesn’t trust a Carroll, Ben or RoCo at times but continues to give Rivers heavy minutes is just favouratism. Aside from the fact that 7 guys won’t cut it since threes require fresher legs than midrange shots mixed in.

20. macan

macan Member

MDA is overrated

tinman likes this.