1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Nov 1, 2015.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Good luck asking Tilman of all people to find that guy LOL, cmon man.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Y’all are crazy, what gms are even better than Morey? How can you blame a gm when it’s the owner that doesn’t want pay luxury tax. You honestly think someone as smart as morey thought replacing Ariza with Ennis was a good move?

Maybe y’all want the Brooklyn gm that traded all his picks for old KG and Pierce.

Maybe y’all want the Kings gm that drafts the worst players every year with top 5 picks.

Maybe y’all want the Twolves gm who is dumb enough not to take 4 first rounders from us and thinks they can compete.

Maybe y’all want to get the Philly gm that traded two top 3 picks for Markelle Fultz.....

Every gm has flaws, y’all should be glad we have one of the best. The things he can do with salary cap is masterful and you know he doesn’t like to stand pat. So let’s see what he does this year.

HP3 likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

What if Rockets lose next 4 games?
    Blazers
    Lakers
    Grizzlies
    Jazz

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like Morey and think he's one of the top 5 GMs in the league but if Morey didn't luck out in getting Harden he'd be managing a Euro team somewhere right now.

He dodged the Chris Bosh bullet twice
    He dodged Chandler Parsons right before Parsons started to suck indefinitely
    He dodged the Ken Bazemore contract (dude is shooting below 30% from 3 this year)
    He dodged the Al Horford contract

The moves that he did make that wasn't a plan B (e.g. signing Trevor Ariza as insurance to Chandler Parsons' departure) haven't really worked out all that well. I'm not even going to mention the big/expensive ones; I'm just going to mention the dollar bin / slickdeals signings/acquisitions that have failed more often than it has worked out like Melo, Lawson, MCW, and then the fascination with players like KJ McDaniels, Troy Williams, Tarik Black, Zhou Qi, Joey Dorsey, etc.

Again, I like Morey but for the posters that demand MDA and/or Harden to change their old habits, I'd like to see Morey change some of his. Like stop trying to outthink the league with your signings, thinking your team can maximize and turn every scrub into a role player and actually sign proven vets for a team that needs vets more than pet projects.

#464 steddinotayto, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    bmelo, RyanB, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Frustrating everyone's flawed.

Morey
    Harden
    MDA
    CP3
    All of the bench

Tilman who likely thinks he knows more about bball than he actually does.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

CP3 was recruited by harden and intended to sign with us as a free agent. morey only set up the trade in advance in order to preserve our non-taxpayer mle which was used on tucker. so if you want to praise morey for acquiring tucker i'm in full agreement. but CP3 was already coming here thanks to james. regarding EG for 8 mil, i think you have your numbers off drastically on that. but in any case, ryno for 20 mil x 4 at the same exact time was one of the worst moves in franchise history. again, as already stated in this thread i haven't called for him to be fired. but let's not ignore that these are his players and his payroll management and i see no way how he (and tilman to some degree) shouldn't be accountable.

HP3 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, that's fine but I still give credit to Morey cause he did get Harden. And what other teams recruit other superstar players without any on their roster. And I'd like to see the report saying that Sam Hinkie pushed for the Harden trade, and but that's fine. Eric Gordon, yea I was off on that by about 5 mil lol, but still he's a valuable piece on a great contract that way out played his value. As for Ryno, like him or not he was very key to our sucess in 2016-2017 season and without our success there we never would have had an opportunity to get CP in the first place. Im fine with him being held accountable, really I am. He had a bad off season here and 2 years ago. But I dont like trying to discredit everything he's done.

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Just saying, those guys were available and I'm pretty sure Morey did his due diligence and do what he can to possibly add those guys to the team.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was. He could have drafted Kawhi instead of Mookie Morris. All he had to do.

It's still Kawhi, without Pop's tutelage he could still average 13-17 ppg, that is reasonable.

Imagine a young Kawhi Leonard in red, mustard.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the sixers hired hinkie b/c he was the guy behind the harden trade. it was his main selling point while interviewing w/ them

HP3 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do u really need to ask this question? If they lose the next 4 then they’ll be 11-18 and it will be time to start shedding salary and maximizing your draft pick.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

How to shed salary and keep first round draft picks at the same time now? It is too late.
    You have to offer 2 protected Firsts for a team to take Knight.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea I found the article, here is the excerpt

And Hinkie, as if to underscore that divergence, walked into dinner carrying a laptop, complete with a massively detailed PowerPoint presentation that Sixers executives now recall as an “investment thesis.” Its centerpiece was a diagram that illustrated, arrow by arrow, transaction by transaction, how Houston had amassed the assets, two first-rounders and a second-rounder, along with guards Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb to acquire superstar guard James Harden from the Thunder in October.

Look, idk what that means, but I dont think Hinkie's driving point was to say that he did that all by himself or that he was the main factor in those moves, we just dont know at the very least and this tells us very little.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

then just try to maximize the draft pick...we’re not getting Zion or RJ (people need to just stop it with that), but try to get as high a pick as possible

don’t use assets trying to acquire role players thinking they’re gonna save this mess

also, at that point, u see if u can move off CP3’s deal...our pick being good will do a lot to entice some team out there

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes, BigBum needs to ask that question!

Nobody really cares enough to respond, but he's driven to ask such questions regardless.

HP3 and Reeko like this.
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yes it is time to fire Morey. This is a team who is in a win now mode. Morey blew it by signing a scrub name James Ennis, he also brought a washed up Carmelo Anthony. If he was a good GM he would of sign Jeff Green, and bring back Luc. He lost his touch. Is time to move on from him.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Tank and fire Morey after the season

RyanB likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But it's still short sighted because it's an opinion formed over 20 games. Guaranteed the person who wrote that wasn't suggesting Morey be fired last season when we won 65 games and he was named executive of the year. It's a knee-jerk reaction based off 20 games. In the time Morey has been here, we've been one of the winningest teams in the NBA. No championship, sure, but let's not pretend those are easy to get and are just automatic when you get a great GM. Hell, I'd argue that since I was a child the Jazz have been one of the best ran organizations in the NBA and yet they've never won a championship. It's a hard thing to do. And we almost did it last year One friggin' hamstring away.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think they'd really fire him during the season without a proper replacement.

Fans are just talking for the sake of talking. It has been this way since the beginning.

Knee jerks and being short sighted in here have no real consequences out there. I doubt Tilman or any owners listen to us.

If he fires him, it won't be because of us, fans.
    If he fires him, it won't be because of the many good he has done but the recent failure.

#479 daywalker02, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member