1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How many times have you seen a player talk positively of a totally incompetent coach?

(the answer is countless)

Watson can come in and light the world on fire, but it will take years before I start thinking BOB is anything but a crappy coach at this point.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Then explain this,

if Bob will value both QB about the same and intended to manage this team like a college team with multiple QBs, then how many snaps Watson got with the first team in the whole training camp comparing to Savage.

and then after the first game, actually Watson did not play much better either, how many snaps Savage got with the first team between week 1 and week 2?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have no clue about any of your questions... and neither do you. But in the end, if Watson has been able to improve this much with actual game experience... how much does training camp reps even matter?

You're acting like this is the first time in NFL history that a player actually outperformed what they were "expected" to do (based on practice, training camp, combine stats, etc)... once they finally got on the field in a real game.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

But... but .. he's the QB whisper!
    He should of made assweiler look like Brady 2.0. After all Bo'b is an offensive genius. So I've been told.
    Still want him fired!

mario_v likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm all for BOB getting the blame for choosing the chicken **** that he was obviously unable to turn into chicken salad.... nor has anybody else been able to do much with said chicken **** (namely, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Hoyer, Mallet, Osweiler).

But, if the first rookie QB (excluding David Carr) the Texans have ever had with actual projectable talent, with actual expectations, succeeds under him... I'm going to temper some of that previous blame.

BOB's only job right now is to not screw him up.

Nimo likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Judging by improvements from week 2 to week 4, I think we have the right man for Watson to learn from.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But but but... what about training camp???!? ;)

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If that's your standard for the head coach of the Texans, then good luck and I rest my case.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's not my only standard... and I'm still trying to figure out what your case is?

But yes... it would be quite the scenario/statement if BOB took the first highly drafted QB they've had since Carr... and wasn't able to turn him into much. If he's able to help him achieve greatness... I'm not really sure why you'd find fault with that.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Guys

You can have the BoB picked the bad quarterbacks argument so he is the reason offense sucked anyway but they could have scored sixty with a rookie qb

Find another criticism

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

12. tmacfor35

In one game.

The Anti-BoB's main argument disappeared. His offense is ranked third in the league in points scored....

mario_v and texian like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

For those with long term memory loss. Not us. We remember. lol

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You can't polish a turd.

Even if you try five different turds.

red5rocket and mario_v like this.
  15. texian

texian Member

We'll see about next year.

NFL catches up to rookie QBs, then adjustments have to be made and the education begins. Second/third year tells the tale.

Smith doesn't want O'Brien here. Smith doesn't like O'Brien. And O'Brien will never have the power Rick has over the McNairs.

We've been told there will be a "mutual parting", my money is on that still.

16. tmacfor35

If OB likes working with Deshaun which is obvious and its vice versa. I don't think Rick will pull the trigger. The other candidate would be Vrabel with Ryan as the OC?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

"Extend the Chin!"

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wouldn't say one game undoes three years of the offense getting worse an QB carousels, but it's a start

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

610 reporting that a source has revealed that Obrien wanted to start Watson after game 1 of preseason but Rick smith talked him out of it to make sure he wasn’t being rushed.

20. tmacfor35

They are ranked 5th in ppg. It's obviously going to be better this year.

What is the variable?

The QB, not the coach. The issue has always been the QB.