1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I wonder if any team winning their division at this point in the season, in the history of the NFL has ever been so bad. 8 pts total is just sad and unimpressive.

2. Nook

Nook Member

There have been some, typically in mediocre divisions. However only the Giants in the history of the modern NFL have won a SB.

There is a very, very strong correlation between point differential and winning..... as most people would likely think.

FWIW last year the Texans were a +50-60 to end the season.

Rudyc281 and deb4rockets like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2010 Seahawks ended their season winning the division and almost a -100. 2008 Cardinals +1. 2014 Panthers -35. 2011 Broncos -81. And I suspect the list goes on and on.

Nook likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was just looking up our 2011 and 2012 seasons, and after week 13 we were +111 and +130. No wonder those seasons were so much more exciting to watch. They make +8 look boring and so much less of a threat. In fact, we are probably a rookie's dream team to play

Nook likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are not 17 better playcallers in the NFL. There might be this week or that week - but the *vast* majority of NFL playcallers are middle of the road - he's not appreciably better or worse.

This remains a longstanding point of contention with me: I think people are so hyper-focused on the Texans that they're (mostly) oblivious to what its like outside that bubble, where most coaches are very much like BO'B. I mean, seriously, spend *any* time in a Chiefs and try and tell me their reactions to Reid - who is a *very* good coach - are significantly different: he mishandles challenges and the clock, routinely underachieves in the playoffs...

Perfectly rational. I've never argued anything beyond the end of the spectrum where he's the primary blame for everything bad and deserves no credit for anything good.

They could do better and I'd support their efforts to do so. But they will win - and could win BIG - with BO'B.

6. Hey Now!

You guys get wrapped the axle of the silliest stuff... I mean only Texans fans would choose to focus on point-differential - and not record - so they can continue pouting about the team.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Considering that obriens offense regularly ranks in the bottom 10, I would say he's a below average playcaller

Houstunna likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It stems from getting so excited season after season about this team, only to watch a gut wrenching unexpected slaughter. I mean, Baltimore was a knock down, but being down 38-3 against a team with 4 wins with a 1st year head coach and a rookie QB in his second NFL game was just gut wrenching.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Let’s focus on 1-3 playoff record
    O’brien has managed to have the *worst* differential of every AFC playoff team every season he makes the playoffs. This exists while he’s mostly been leaned on his defense for success. Thank goodness RAC didn’t surrender more points.

I’d bet O’brien has the worst differential in the postseason too..... 1-3 reflects fittingly

#4749 Houstunna, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Average, you say?

Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BoB knows what he’s doing though
    @Mr.Scarface

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

is it really though? Like when I watch the game, I can legit tell BoB sucks at offense scheme, but i thought the team puts up a lot of empty stats that inflate Texans offense ratings.

13. Mr. Clutch

They have never had a high offensive rating under obrien. In fact before this year they were never even ranked above 20. Some games here and there, but never over a whole season.

Crennel has had several high ranked defenses though

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Can i see da numbers or how u came to this conclusion?

15. Mr. Clutch

DatRocketFan likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

You know... they play more than 2 games/season........

17. Hey Now!

And his starting QBs in two of those playoff campaigns were Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

As a hc, why is he absolved of blame on who he choose to roll with in playoffs? He chose those two and failed miserable to use his offensive talent to make his qbs look competent.

19. Hey Now!

He won 9 games and, you know, made the playoffs with both QBs... They were - as poor QBs often are - exposed against better competition.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's still pretty average by any standards when you look at his overall record.

51-46 NFL career record

The playoffs is a completely different story.