1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final thoughts on 2023 and beyond

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castian Crew, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ah ok, so now we’re just talking about shades of grey. Fecal matter on the mound is fair game. A guy barely trotting down the line on a ground ball is not. Hmm.

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well... specifically: we've made the idea of hustling down the line on sure outs into a measure of a player's heart and desire - and it's total bullshit, IMO. There's zero reason for a player to sprint down the line on a routine groundball. It's some lingering vestige of Little League. I don't personally care if players sprint or not. And for some players - like Yordan - I'd frankly prefer they not sprint at all. I held my breath during his triple in the ALCS.

But here's what I don't understand: if a player isn't living up to expectations, I can understand fans seeking possible explanations, like trying to read body language or hustle or whatever (though, again; I wouldn't be quick to psychoanalyze players from afar). But Kyle Tucker is really, really good. And if, during a stretch in which he's not very good, you're noticing body language or hustle or whatever... isn't the likely answer that he's simply just as frustrated as you are with his performance? Like, isn't it very possible that the observations you're making are of a player who's angry/disappointed in themselves, and if so... doesn't that speak to how much they care, etc.?

#22 Hey Now!, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    ROCKSS likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think sprinting out routine ground balls can be detrimental for some players.

Energy and strength are finite.

I do, however, hope that everyone at least runs at 80% so they have a chance to beat out a bobble or bad throw.

Different players feel differently. Some will sprint every time regardless which is fine but not necessary for most.

However, if you are getting your first PA in days and usually sit the bench, you should be moving.

If it's a close game, especially late then that impacts it too.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Assuming what some perceive as Tucker’s laziness or carelessness is really Tucker being careful not to waste energy or get hurt is a totally valid opinion. But so is assuming those actions are a player not exhibiting the traits you want to see from a guy who positively contributes to the winning culture outside of his actual statistical performance.

I don’t think Tucker is a bad guy or clubhouse cancer, and I certainly recognize he’s put up great numbers. My original comment that you took such offense to was just pointing out a trait of his that makes me more open to the idea of trading him than I would other players like Altuve or Alvarez, and more hesitant to embrace the idea of allocating a huge chunk of the payroll to keep around.

IBTL, raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Yeah, and I agreed: if he's not willing to sign an extension, he'd be an interesting trade chip, especially this offseason, where two years of control (vs 1 or 3 months, if they waited) could return an even bigger package.

The problem with that idea: it would almost certainly make the team worse in '24/'25.

ROCKSS and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, trading him is only justifiable if the return is huge, something on the order of what the Nats got when they traded Soto (or close to it).

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Yeah; I wonder if he could get *that* much? Maybe? Soto was/is better and he was younger - but only had 1.5 years of control. With Tucker - again, if they dealt him this offseason - you're getting two full years.

Honestly, while I respect a lot what he did, I don't lionize or pine for Luhnow to come back - but it's the kind of cutthroat/cold-blooded move he would absolutely consider.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing that is incredibly unlikely but possible would be to wait for Ohtani and Soto to find their homes then shop him to the teams that missed out. That could mean the Dodgers (for maybe a package built around Cartaya, Pages, Rushing, and Bruns) or Giants (for maybe a package built around Yaz, Whisenhunt, Luciano, and one other prospect).

Hey Now! likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Soto actually had 2 1/2 yrs of control left.

He's a FA after 2024 and they have had him 1 1/2 yrs.

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. raining threes

OF bat and a SP1 are what I would trade some of the fan favorites for.

What I think they will do is trade for a guy like Verdugo or Yaz and spend good money on a reliever like Hicks. Then if they need another SP at the trade deadline a move will be made. Plus adding a vet backup catcher.

#30 raining threes, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    IdStrosfan likes this.
  11. raining threes

This is reasonable,

Anyway they could trade 2 or 3 of the pitchers you listed and combine them with say Loprfido and Decenzo to get an ace?

12. raining threes

Not getting into the Tucker psychoanalyzing,

But for the right deal I would move him. It would have to be a heck of a deal though.

solid likes this.
  13. raining threes

This kind of move is what would give the Stros the ability to extend their window. Nothing cutthroat about it and certainly the kind of move Luhnow would consider.

Why would you consider trading Tucker cutthroat ot cold blooded?

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Because he's one of the ~15-20 best hitters in baseball; he's under club control and relatively cheap for two more full seasons, and he's young. Teams rarely trade players that check all those boxes - especially good teams.

And I'm not sure trading Tucker would extend our window. It would depend on the return, of course - but if it's more in-line with the Soto deal, it'll be young prospects not ready to contribute. That would be good for '25+ beyond as they start to make their way to the big leagues - but it would make us worse in '24 and '25.

15. Hey Now!

Honestly?... I probably have more confidence in Verlander being an above-average starter than I do in Brown, Garcia, Urquidy & France being anything more than BOR filler.

i hope they crack the code on Javier and figure out how to maximize his stuff. And I equally hope they don't spend a single second building *anything* around Lance McCullers contributing. If he does, great! But expecting him to be a key part of your plans is a fool's errand.

I want the Astros to be a team that doesn't make assumptions. Diaz and McCormick should absolutely be everyday players - but neither have a long enough track record - for me - to assume both will be great and move on. I'd like to see them build in some safety netting. Last offseason, they assumed Brantley would be healthy and that led to Julks getting a lot of ABs when he wasn't and then injuries cropped up - they didn't have a plan B.

This offseason, they should focus on quality, obviously - but don't ignore quantity. This team isn't as deep as it has been.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros will either stand pat on SP or ONLY identify a cheap high risk/high reward veteran to bring in.

I fully expect 2024 to start with: Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Brown as the top 4. Add Urquidy and/or France to fill out the 5 or 6 man rotation.

If/When McCullers is healthy he slides into the #3 spot ahead of Javier. His production when healthy justifies that and makes him a clear #3.

If he does not come back that rotation should still be plenty good and deep enough for the first half of the season.

If he does return by the ASB and everyone is healthy and pitches well the rotation is set.

If he doesn't or one of them is injured or having a poor season then it will be time to look for a trade deadline addition. Also consider Garcia may he that addition if the prices are too high or they don't like who is available.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The bullpen is the biggest area of need right now.

The good: relievers are generally the cheapest players to get in trade or pay in FA.

The bad: relievers are notoriously inconsistent year to year so it's a gamble to find one.

As it sits now, the bullpen has:

High leverage (need 4+): Pressly and Abreu are the only sure things. Montero and Graveman have been good and bad in this role in the past. Roll a dice.

Long relief/ swing (1-2 needed): This is filled by whomever among France, Urquidy, Bielak, or Whitley are not in the rotation or Sugar Land.

Middle innings ( any remaining spots): Maton and Stanek filled this role quite well the past 2+ seasons. Now it's a group of semi-proven and/or flawed inconsistent guys like Seth Martinez, Blanco, Sousa, Dubin, Gage, Kuhnel, Ortega, and Mushinski.

The lack of quality and dependable depth is clearly the problem and the team must bring in at least 1 leverage arm and possibly more veterans as it's dangerous to count on so many all taking the step up that would be needed to make this a championship group.

I like the idea of Luis Garcia returning in a leverage role after his rehab. If all goes well the rotation will be set, he won't need to take time getting stretched out, and his stuff should play up to be a quality 7th inning guy.

18. raining threes

I would trust what Luhnow thought was the best thing to do and if he thought trading Tucker would extend the window I would see this as a necessary thing to do. BTW, Luhnow built this thing with a certain amount of cut throat mentality. He didn't do anything that would prevent the team from winning a championship in 2017 back in 2013. Despite objections of the media and the media sheep known as some fans.

As far as not extending the window it depends on the deal that would be made. We can talk about this if a deal happens. BTW, I don't think Luhnow would trade Tucker this off season. But next off season I think there would be a 50-50 chance that he might trade Tucker.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Honestly, the 'Stros were a dysfunctional, middling-coached team this year and we did very well to make it to game 7 of the ALCS. Yes, I take them in any game but given our record, injuries and grumpy old man management, we're lucky to have gotten this far. Not exactly satisfied but glad we made it as far as we did.

I'll let y'all know my final thoughts on beyond 2023 (2024-) next year.