1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Few Americans Know First Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhester, Mar 1, 2006.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Although polls and surveys aren't my favorite form of assessment- I think this illustrates the reality of the disconnect between the Constitution and the American people- which allows its abuse.

Study: Few Americans Know 1st Amendment
    By ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 6 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

The study by the new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that 22 percent of Americans could name all five Simpson family members, compared with just one in 1,000 people who could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the museum, said he was surprised by the results.

"Part of the survey really shows there are misconceptions, and part of our mission is to clear up these misconceptions," said Madeira, whose museum will be dedicated to helping visitors understand the First Amendment when it opens in April. "It means we have our job cut out for us."

The survey found more people could name the three "American Idol" judges than identify three First Amendment rights. They were also more likely to remember popular advertising slogans.

It also showed that people misidentified First Amendment rights. About one in five people thought the right to own a pet was protected, and 38 percent said they believed the right against self-incrimination contained in the Fifth Amendment was a First Amendment right, the survey found.

The telephone survey of 1,000 adults was conducted Jan. 20-22 by the research firm Synovate and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

link

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Time to bring back School House Rock

Rocket River
    :(

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think few everyday Americans care enough about the First Amendment, that's probably the real problem.

Free people who don't take charge of and defend their rights will inevitably lose them. Americans are just too comfortable, too entertained, too easily distracted, the politicians know this, the government capitalizes on it.

Ignorance and comfort are the biggest threat to free people who wish to remain free. Freedom is hard work, remaining vigilant is a must, pushing back once in a while is a must; Thomas Jefferson told us so, he said we must keep that 'revolutionary spirit' is we're to keep the government honest.

4. rhester

I think you are right and most people don't understand how really scary that is. A free people is an increasingly lost concept.

Most people think freedom means watch tv, take vacations and buy a new house.

5. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

There are actually 6 freedoms defined in the first amendment...

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Freedom of speech

2. Freedom of Religion

3. Freedom of the Press

4. Right to assemble

5. Right to petition the govt.

What is the 6th freedom in the 1st amendment?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well you could argue that the establishment clause grants us freedom FROM religion.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I read this before I came to work this morning. Sad, but unfortunately not unexpected. If you had told me of the study before I knew the results, I would have guessed something similar.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

True, but I categorized it under the same freedom.

10. Fatty FatBastard

Once again, this is a r****ded poll. Name 2 freedoms in the first amendment? Something that is rarely brought up anywhere but school.

Now name "2" Simpson characters, who have been on TV, on magazine covers, and the internet for 20 years straight.

REAL difficult to see how the results would go. :rolleyes:

Polls and statistics can be skewed anyway you want them. They're all r****ded.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

universal love has been replaced by love of country. love of country means obediance to those in power. this is nietzsche's wet dream, except artist-tyrants have been replaced with incompetent, uncultured, bible touting hypocrites. welcome to the machine.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Duh, the first amendment is "thou shalt not kill" every american knows that.

13. rhester

OK- let's ask school children and see if the results are different.

'Rarely brought up' I think characterizes the danger here and pretty much sums up the state of the nation.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think the poll is pointing out exactly what you said. Freedoms and our constitution aren't really talked about that much. The Poll did a good job of illustrating that.

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

As a somewhat parallel topic:

There was a study a while back that asked the younger generation (I forgot the exact cutoff age) that asked if it was ok if the government censors or otherwise withholds information from the public. A majority of young adults said, "yes, that's ok." :eek:

Is it just me, or are kids today genuinely off kilt a little? I know that sounds like I'm getting old ... and its probably bad to bring up here since most of you ARE "young adults." But seriously, kids today have a warped sense of reality that seems unlike any past generations.

It seems like America is getting more and more disconnected with fundamental life stuff. I guess that is the way the government likes it. Keep them stupid.

16. insane man

insane man Member

i agree but thats not the kids fault but the educational systems fault. we teach not to create better citizens but to ensure that they pass the TAAS or do well on the SATs.

i remember our american history class focused little on the constitution but mostly on obscure lil battles during the civil war. with all due respect why isn't there some level of macro-thinking which ensures taht those subjects which are vital to being decent human beings and american citizens are emphasized instead of micro details.

17. rhester

Here's one for you-

I do this alot around ages 16-30

I find a large group of kids (within that age group), at least 3 or more and I make an offer.

First I ask them to name 10 different brands of beer. I have yet (I have been doing this for about 5 years) to find a group of kids that could not name 10.

Then I offer $5.00 to one of them to name all of the Ten Commandments and I tell them all the friends can help answer. I have never found a group that could name all ten commandments.

Not once.

I know that is religious, but the point is there.

18. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

6. Establishment of a government sponsored Religion

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

OK, to me I just included that as a part of the freedom of religion part.

20. Fatty FatBastard

You really do this? Oh, the hobbies you must have!