1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fetterman lookalike arrested for animal abuse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 19, 2023.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lookalike***

This kind of stuff happens all too often, stricter laws against animal abuse are imperative, the victims here don’t have a voice

I get some people have a hard time seeing this stuff, but it happens whether it’s circulated or not. With the former at least people are aware and on the lookout for situations and people that engage in this disgusting behavior

'Bone-chilling': Florida man stuffs dog into trash bag, flings it in dumpster after owners die, sheriff says
    Dani Medina
    Tue, December 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM CST·3 min read

[​IMG]
    Scroll back up to restore default view.

LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Employees of a Family Dollar in Southwest Florida were alarmed when they found something moving inside a trash bag in a dumpster outside the store. When they opened the black trash bag, they found a 16-year-old dog named Xyla with a rope tied around her neck.

The employees recognized the "intentional abuse" and took the Shih Tzu to Blue Pearl Pet Hospital to be evaluated, Sheriff Carmine Marceno said in a press conference on Monday. The sheriff's office began investigating immediately, which ultimately led to the arrest of Anthony Bellman, a 55-year-old man from Lehigh Acres.

[​IMG]
    Photo: Lee County Sheriff's Office
    Detectives obtained "bone-chilling" surveillance video of the incident behind the Family Dollar store, which allegedly shows Bellman grabbing a black trash bag from the trunk of his blue SUV and flinging it into a dumpster.

MORE CRIME: Florida man arrested for shaking 2-month-old baby because it 'would not stop crying': deputies

[​IMG]
    "You can see on this video that he has absolute zero regard for Xyla," Sheriff Marceno said. "No living thing deserves to be discarded like common trash. The suspect literally throwing a life away. This video is disgusting, and my detectives went full-force to find who would do this."

[​IMG]
    It was discovered that Xyla was microchipped and her owners were dead, Sheriff Marceno said. It was also revealed that Bellman, a family member of the two original owners that are deceased, was reportedly on his way to the Humane Society so Xyla could be put down.

"Instead, he tried to throw her away in a dumpster where she could have slowly suffocated to death or died of heat stroke," Sheriff Marceno said.

Xyla, who is "blind to a certain extent," was evaluated at the Blue Pearl Pet Hospital, and vets said she "was on her way to a painful death" if she hadn't been discovered," the sheriff said.

"Her last moments would have been like drowning from the inside out," he added.

MORE CRIME: 2 University of Florida scientists accused of putting their kids in cages, police say

[​IMG]
    Now, however, Xyla is "healthy and happy" and has a second chance at life. Lee County Domestic Animal Services plans to work with the State Attorney's Office to see if Xyla finds a loving home.

"Man, they're heroes. They really are," Sheriff Marceno said of the staff at the animal hospital.

As for Bellman, he was taken into custody and charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty. He also earned himself a spot on the newly enacted Lee County Animal Abuser Registry.

[​IMG]
    "Instead of landing in a dumpster where he belongs, Bellman landed in jail," Sheriff Marceno said. "The message is clear: You abuse an animal in Lee County, Florida, and I promise you, we will hunt you down and no matter where you go, we're gonna find you and you're coming back to be fully charged to the fullest extent of the law."

Bellman was released later on Friday after posting $50,000 bond.

#1 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    tinman likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread got me thinking: is it illegal to put down your own pet? I have never known anyone who did it besides euthanasia at the vet because people LOVE their pets more than their family, but I know the trope of an animal going to the farm is supposed to mean it was killed.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

as long as you do it the right way

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Former Texan RB derrick ward arrested for a string of robberies in CA.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Omfg...

What the **** is wrong with some people? Abandoning a dog is a sorry thing to do, but if you can't handle a pet, it is a lot better than murdering it.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd make a feature request to ignore thread just for this.

Sad

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I had never clicked this thread. Nobody needs to see any of that crap.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Change thread title please.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I can never fathom how someone can be so cruel and why our laws are still too lax for this evil behavior

I would say there does need to be public recognition of this …it goes on constantly and turning a blind eye so “nobody sees” is never going to help draw the spotlight to these helpless creatures and call for action on stricter laws when it comes to abuse of this nature. For the record, I donated to about 7-8 shelters around the globe because I myself didn’t want to believe this kind of crap for so long.

it’s also one of the reasons nobody can defend a lot of these Chinese provinces in my eyes for any “good action” etc

#9 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 20, 2023
    FrontRunner likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I struggled with this concept for a while and thought of kill shelters as evil. The most we can do is give our pets a happy life. Watching how a lot of these animals suffer has really made euthanasia a lot more acceptable in my eyes.

11. Invisible Fan

Pets are a cottage industry. The products, living and healthcare costs can add up to a little fur Baby...on the extremes, maybe it adds up to 50k in bond money?

They're short lived compared to us, so we know they'll die in a relative blink the moment we sign the papers.

Americans put down A LOT of pets before their time is due to the point where Asian countries eating "pets" is not an issue Americans have any moral standing against. We're getting better at improving awareness for no-kill shelters, but there's still alot of abandoned animals.

If you break it down by population distribution, some folks have the mental/emotional capacity to spend thousands of dollars for EOL care. Others treat it like finding a new pair of jeans or are too chickenshit to see their dog slowly deteriorate from the ravages of time.

We eat a ****ton of steak, pork, and poultry so it's entirely arbitrary which animal we elevate to Family Status anyways.

Incidentally, this is a deeper dilemma "wokies" would feel more compelled to do something about.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I’ll clarify , the food part isn’t the main issue, it’s not my right to judge. I hope you never do but just look at how animals are treated in China. They are tortured and mutilated beyond imagination in a way their suffering make cartels look like saints.

it’s completely unecessary but they will boil and skin alive , pack them into the worst conditions. Nobody is asking for a hotel for your next meal but there is a certain level of humanely putting an animal down before eating it that the Chinese (only certain provinces) seem to deliberately do. Some also believe the suffering makes the meat taste better

beyond the moral quandary, it’s clear keeping animals as such will spread disease, just look at the meat markets and covid

So I disagree, there isn’t a dilemma. I would prefer if we didn’t try to eat “a man’s best friend” we have domesticated for 20K years. But torturing these animals because , either they take glee in it, or are doing it because they feel it makes the meat more tender is morally indefensible.

#12 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 20, 2023
    Andre0087 likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

I'll have to stick to the point that it's arbitrary. There's no concept of halal and some regions do that cooking method with every animal on the land, air, and sea.

I'm not sure why we elevate dogs and maybe cats (boo hiss) to Family Status in this case when the numbers indicate we treat pets on the whole like throwaways.

Hindus elevate Cows as Sacred Beings. That seems like the gold standard to your counterpoint. And they aren't planning a PETA-style hit on McDonalds anytime soon (not saying you are, but taking your point to the extreme).

I'm ethnically Chinese, and I'm 100% on your feelings for pets. It's just that I'm also a meat eater, so it's better for me to focus on my backyard with shelters and cruelty before I publicly express my disgust for what some people do in Asia.

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I put my dog down during a hurricane when nothing was operating years ago because of an accident that occurred. We do what we must in critical situations...