1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fellas, what do we do if...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rezdawg, Jun 18, 2002.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No agreement is reached with China before the draft? Do we still take a chance and select Ming? Do we trade down and draft Dunleavy or Butler? Do we trade the pick for Odom/Lewis? Personally, if there is no agreement, I would have to say that it is way too risky to take Ming. As much as I would want him, I think the best thing is to take a player that we know for sure can help us out.

2. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I say that we should trade with GS for the third and Antawn Jamison if that happens.
    With the 3rd we would pick Caron Butler.
    Not a bad consolation prize.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Depends on the situation, I would say draft him anyway, if things look good, you can always trade his rights away some day.

DaDakota

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I agree with DaDakota, you draft Yao.

Anyway, I think it's a moot point because I'm betting that everything is worked out prior to the draft. It's in China/CBA/Yao's best interest to make things work out with Houston. Having Yao go #1 is very important to China and they can only guarentee that by reaching an agreement with Houston.

If he's in the draft, but we trade the pick, then there's a good chance that he doesn't go #1. Also, if he withdraws, then it's even less likely that he goes #1 next year due to Lebron James. He's going to go #1 and he's going to play for the Rockets. Stop worrying.

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

C'mon guys, we have spent the past two weeks in intensive negotiations. If a deal is not in place then there is some reason that both sides can't agree and it would be stupid to draft the guy.

6. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

On this I agree with UT, if we don't have a deal done by the draft we take the Clipper deal. Odom and 2 lottery picks is a GREAT consilation prize. We cannot afford to get caught holding the bag on this, because we aren't good enough right now to get nothing on this deal. With that said, hopefully we here something SOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

7. redao

redao Member

If you see a Chinese "NO" in this Ming draft, there's going to be a riot of basketball fans in shanghai and Beijing. I don't think they could afford that.

8. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Put it this way, if for some wierd reason the Chinese change their minds then the offers for our number 1 will be awesome. Just think of the possible trades it will drive Rudy and the guys crazy and of course the people here will have a field day.
    :) :D :cool:

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I like that deal. If Ming does not come through get Butler or Gooden.

10. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

redao- Ever heard of Tianemen (sp?) Square? I highly doubt anybody riots in China.