1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fauci disappeared?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I feel like I've seen this somewhere...

3. Nook

Nook Member

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

I work from home, so I've literally been stuck with nothing but phone conversations, and, while cute, don't cut the mustard.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm hoping that Trumpers take the virus more seriously because Trump is telling them to, even if he gets stuff wrong along the way.

foh, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and in a few months all news about infections will be surpressed like Unemployment numbers

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The make their money on hope
    The HOPE that they might do something right and moral for once
    then
    continue to say PAY ME PAY ME PAY ME

Rocket River

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9. NewRoxFan

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Press briefing ARE important. MAYBE the most significant thing these douchebags do ALL day long.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

14. pirc1

Here is a person that listened to Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-dies-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-111947033.html

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus
    Erika Edwards and Vaughn Hillyard
    TODAYMarch 24, 2020, 7:19 AM EDT

[​IMG]
    Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

An Arizona man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate — believing it would protect him from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the substance and is under critical care.

The toxic ingredient they consumed was not the medication form of chloroquine, used to treat malaria in humans. Instead, it was an ingredient listed on a parasite treatment for fish.

The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

"We were afraid of getting sick."

The name "chloroquine" resonated with the man's wife, who asked that her name not be used to protect the family's privacy. She'd used it previously to treat her koi fish.

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus.

Download the TODAY app for the latest coverage on the coronavirus outbreak.

"We were afraid of getting sick," she said.

Within 20 minutes, both became extremely ill, at first feeling "dizzy and hot."

"I started vomiting," the woman told NBC News. "My husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand."

She called 911. The emergency responders "were asking a lot of questions" about what they'd consumed. "I was having a hard time talking, falling down."

Shortly after he arrived at the hospital, her husband died.

On Monday, Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the couple took the additive called chloroquine phosphate.

The couple unfortunately equated the chloroquine phosphate in their fish treatment with the medication —known by its generic name, hydroxychloroquine — that has recently been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19, which has infected more than 42,000 people in the U.S. and killed at least 462.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement: "Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so."

On Friday, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control pleaded with its people not to engage in self-medication with chloroquine, as it "will cause harm and can lead to death." The country had reported at least two such poisonings.

[​IMG]
    NCDC

✔@NCDCgov

#FactsNotFear@WHO has NOT approved the use of chloroquine for #COVID19 management. Scientists are working hard to confirm the safety of several drugs for this disease.

Please DO NOT engage in self-medication. This will cause harm and can lead to death.#COVID19Nigeria

[​IMG]

10:19 AM - Mar 20, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

4,219 people are talking about this

The Food and Drug Administration has not approved chloroquine to treat the coronavirus, and studies of its safety and effectiveness are just beginning.

The Arizona woman now warns others to listen to medical professionals for the best coronavirus advice.

"Be careful and call your doctor," she said.

"This is a heartache I'll never get over."

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The media wouldn't have to do it if the president would stop lying, talking from an authoritative position and bother to educate himself on what is really involved in this crisis.

Of course we know that won't happen. That is another reason why any single Democratic nominee from the very beginning would be a better President than Trump. All of them probably know more about how the government works than Trump, and would put in the work to learn what they don't know. Trump will not do it and won't listen to people who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to issues and especially in a crisis.

Fauci isn't really battling against Trump, just Trump's misinformation.

Honestly, 75% of the users on this board would do a better job than Trump.

16. pirc1

Even BigTex would do better than his hero Trump, so 75% is too low.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. pirc1

Let's see how long Dr Fauci last, after surviving for over 30 years as a top expert at CDC, he might be on his way out, I hope Trump for once listen the expert instead play pretending expert.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-given-unusual-leeway-fauci-121724586.html

Trump Has Given Unusual Leeway to Fauci, but Aides Say He's Losing His Patience
    Maggie Haberman
    The New York TimesMarch 24, 2020, 8:17 AM EDT

[​IMG]
    Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Anthony Fauci listens during a coronavirus task force press briefing, in the White House briefing room in Washington, March 21, 2020. (Al Drago/The New York Times)
    President Donald Trump has praised Dr. Anthony S. Fauci as a “major television star.” He has tried to demonstrate that the administration is giving him free rein to speak. And he has deferred to Fauci’s opinion several times at the coronavirus task force’s televised briefings.

But Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984, has grown bolder in correcting the president’s falsehoods and overly rosy statements about the spread of the coronavirus in the past two weeks — and become a hero to the president’s critics because of it. And now Trump’s patience has started to wear thin.

So has the patience of some White House advisers, who see Fauci as taking shots at the president in some of his interviews with print reporters while offering extensive praise for Trump in television interviews with conservative hosts.

Trump knows that Fauci, who has advised every president since Ronald Reagan, is seen as credible with a large section of the public and with journalists, and so he has given the doctor more leeway to contradict him than he has other officials, according to multiple advisers to the president.

When Trump knows that he has more to gain than to lose by keeping an adviser, he has resisted impulses to fight back against apparent criticism, sometimes for monthslong interludes. One example was when he wanted to fire the White House counsel, Donald McGahn, in 2017 and early 2018. Another was Jeff Sessions, the former attorney general. Trump eventually fired both when he felt the danger in doing so had passed.

So far, the president appears to be making the same calculation with Fauci, who was not at the briefing room podium Monday evening. When asked why, Trump said he had just been with Fauci for “a long time” at a task force meeting. Officials, asked about the doctor’s absence, repeated that they were rotating officials who appear at the briefings.

“He’s a good man,” Trump said. Fauci was scheduled to be on Fox News with Sean Hannity a short time later.

Still, the president has resisted portraying the virus as the kind of threat described by Fauci and other public health experts. In his effort to create a positive vision of a future where the virus is less of a danger, critics have accused Trump of giving false hope.

Fauci and Trump have publicly disagreed on how long it will take for a coronavirus vaccine to become available and whether an anti-malaria drug, chloroquine, could help those with an acute form of the virus. Fauci has made clear that he does not think the drug necessarily holds the potential that Trump says it does.

In an interview with Science Magazine, Fauci responded to a question about how he had managed to not get fired by saying that, to Trump’s “credit, even though we disagree on some things, he listens. He goes his own way. He has his own style. But on substantive issues, he does listen to what I say.”

But Fauci also said there was a limit to what he could do when Trump made false statements, as he often does during the briefings.

“I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down,” Fauci said. “OK, he said it. Let’s try and get it corrected for the next time.”

In an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday, Fauci played down the idea that there was a divide between him and the president. “There isn’t fundamentally a difference there,” he said.

“The president has heard, as we all have heard, what are what I call anecdotal reports that certain drugs work. So what he was trying to do and express was the hope that if they might work, let’s try and push their usage,” Fauci said. “I, on the other side, have said I’m not disagreeing with the fact anecdotally they might work, but my job is to prove definitively from a scientific standpoint that they do work. So I was taking a purely medical, scientific standpoint, and the president was trying to bring hope to the people.”

A White House spokesman and Fauci did not respond to requests for comment.

Fauci came to his current role as the AIDS epidemic was exploding and President Ronald Reagan was paying it little attention. He and C. Everett Koop, the surgeon general, were widely credited with spurring the Reagan administration to action against AIDS, a fact that underscores Fauci’s ability to negotiate difficult politics.

He has recognized Trump’s need for praise; in the president’s presence and with audiences that are friendly to him, Fauci has been complimentary. He told the radio host Mark Levin on Fox News of the administration’s response to the virus: “I can’t imagine that under any circumstances that anybody could be doing more.”

And Fauci is savvy not just about the inner workings of the government but about the news media that covers it.

When Vice President Mike Pence took over as the lead of the coronavirus task force, his advisers wanted to put a 24-hour pause on interviews that administration officials were giving as they assessed where the administration was after a chaotic few weeks. They were initially fine with Fauci’s appearances, meeting with him before interviews to get a sense of what he planned to say.

But in the past two weeks, as Fauci’s interviews have increased in frequency, White House officials have become more concerned that he is criticizing the president.

Officials asked him about the viral moment in the White House briefing room, when he put his hand to his face and appeared to suppress a chuckle after Trump referred to the State Department as the “Deep State Department.” Fauci had a benign explanation: He had a scratchy throat and a lozenge he had in his mouth had gotten stuck in his throat, which he tried to mask from reporters.

Some officials have not questioned that Fauci is giving interviews, but they have wondered how he has so much time for so many requests from the news media.

Fauci, for his part, has been dismissive of some questions about whether he was at odds with the president, treating it as a news media obsession.

“I think there’s this issue of trying to separate the two of us,” he said on CBS.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

© 2020 The New York Times Company

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Undermining the President gonna get you fired... or at least put behind the scenes. No more face time.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No it won't, since the federal government has basically abandoned it to the states, they will publish the numbers like they are doing now.

20. NewRoxFan