1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fascinating:Conflict sapping forces' morale

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by JohnnyBlaze, Mar 28, 2003.

1. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

Don't know if this has been posted. If so i apologize.

Conflict sapping forces' morale

By Andrew North
    With US marines in Nasiriyah

Marines are contending with tough conditions
    Here on the frontline this conflict is taking its toll on morale.

I can see the signs in the US marines I am with outside Nasiriyah.

Quite a few of the troops have said to me that this isn't what they were expecting.

They have had a tiring week of guerrilla-style fighting and it continues.

They are frustrated that their political masters gave the American public the impression that it would be easier than it's turned out to be.

But, also that they should have given them more expectation about Iraqi resistance like this.

They don't want to admit they can't deal with it, but I think there is definitely a sense that it is not the kind of fighting that they were really trained for.

One Marine told me: "I've had enough of being fired at from all directions, I just want to go home".

I thought it quite a surprising thing to say.

Appalling conditions

I think the other problem is the conditions here. There were major sandstorms earlier in the week, which created an appalling amount of dust.

I've had enough of being fired at from all directions, I just want to go home

US Marine
    What has followed are Marines waking up every day in a very muddy campsite.

The dust has settled but they are surrounded by mudflats and rubbish dumps.

Some Marines are literally camped on top of garbage, and the amount of flies around at times is quite depressing.

The Marines would say that they are trained for tough conditions, so they can take this kind of thing.

All Marines eat MRE's, which are ready-to-eat meals. They come in sealed brown plastic bags, about the size of a well-padded filofax.

Three of these a day should be enough for the average Marine.

They come in all types of different varieties, beef stew, chicken with noodles, chicken with salsa, and slightly strange sounding things called formed turkey.

I've had that and I'm not totally convinced it is turkey. There are a lot of vegetarian meals, but over a long time they're boring, and they're not fresh.

Injured colleagues

On top of their poor living conditions you have to consider the effect of seeing colleagues injured, particularly after a surprise rocket attack here the other day which left 30 Marines wounded.

I was there when a lot of the injured were being brought in. Most of them had shrapnel wounds.

Some are now believed to have wounds from their own side because of friendly fire that broke out in the confusion afterwards.

But seeing their injured colleagues has undermined the mood here, and makes these soldiers feel exposed.

All around Nasiriyah is flat land, you can see Iraqi civilians walking around US positions.

Now it's come to the point that when Marines see any Iraqi civilians, they think of them as being possibly hostile. It puts them on edge.

I've been around Nasiriyah for a week, and the roads I was travelling on at the beginning of that time were thought to have little risk.

Now they're seen as very dangerous, hostile territory.

Marines travel around scanning the roadsides at all times, guns to the ready.

There are reports of renewed Iraqi resistance south of here.

Areas they've travelled through, that too is demoralising, especially to the younger soldiers.

Reinforcements

One thing that's certainly had an effect is the news that the Pentagon is deploying another 120,000 troops.

It made Marines here realise that it could be quite a long conflict.

Their style and esprit-de-corps is very strong, and they say that they can take this and fight on.

I was talking to a senior officer about the long term effect on the Marines.

He told me: "Sure they're stretched, they're tired, but they haven't been stretched to the limit yet.

"Don't think this is the end of the US Marines, just because they're receiving a slightly different type of resistance to the one they expected."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2896439.stm

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This, to you, is 'fascinating'?

From the BBC, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those guys have what may well be the toughest job in the world next to the Iraqi soldiers who's is tougher because they can't win.

I really feel bad for those guys who have to see their friends wounded and killed, while also killing others. It's tougher than I could imagine, and I wish them the best, and hope they all make it back OK

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Being fired at. . . bad living condition. . . boring food. . . comrades wounded. . .

Not to diminsh the Marine's efforts, but that sounds like war condition to me. I mean, what do you expect war is like? If our soldiers aren't prepared for this kind of conditions, than there are serious questions about our military program.

5. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I am quite sure that if you asked any soldier in any war in any time for any side at any point of the conflict they would say they would rather be at home. This is not news. God bless that Marine and what he and the rest of those people that chose to join the armed forces by their own free will are doing for me, my son, my daughter, my ex-girlfriend in high school that cheated on me, and for the protesters. They are making me proud and I would be scared too.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

All Marines eat MRE's, which are ready-to-eat meals. They come in sealed brown plastic bags, about the size of a well-padded filofax.

Three of these a day should be enough for the average Marine.

They come in all types of different varieties, beef stew, chicken with noodles, chicken with salsa, and slightly strange sounding things called formed turkey.

I've had that and I'm not totally convinced it is turkey. There are a lot of vegetarian meals, but over a long time they're boring, and they're not fresh.

My friends brought some MREs back from West Point and I didn't think they were that bad. This article seems a bit dramatic.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I've really feared that our military has raised a bunch of p*****s, and what it seems, its coming to pass. There are milliions of people starving world wide .. .this isn't to mention everyone elses army who does not have the luxeries we do.

Thats the price you pay for being in the miliatary. It isn't a 9-5 job. Its life or death. And honestly, I know i couldn't handle it ... thats why im not there.