1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fan's view of D Rob on Sportingnews.com

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mulletman, Jun 28, 2003.

1. mulletman

mulletman Member

NBA fan Amol Gavankar reviews David Robinson's career and discusses where he ranks among the great centers in league history.

The Admiral's place in NBA history

June 27, 2003

The career of quite possibly the classiest individual to grace the hardwood has come to a storybook ending. David Robinson's Hall of Fame career came to a celebrative conclusion when his San Antonio Spurs defeated the New Jersey Nets to wrestle the NBA title from the Los Angeles Lakers' three-year stranglehold.

Robinson was able to end his career as a factor in a meaningful game, something that none of his contemporaries were able to do. The Admiral notched 13 points, 17 rebounds and two blocks in the final game of his 14-year career, performing like the Robinson of a decade ago.

Robinson's career reads like a Doogie Howser report card. Among his vast quantity of accolades are two Olympic gold medals, a MVP trophy, a scoring title, Defensive Player of the Year honors, a Rookie of the Year Award and, most importantly, two championship rings. The latter of which places him on par with names such as Wilt Chamberlain and Hakeem Olajuwon. Yet that is where the similarities end.

Despite all of the praise, history will rank Robinson in the second tier of the hypothetical pantheon of all-time great centers, just below the group that includes Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, Chamberlain and Olajuwon. This does not dismiss the great on-court and off-court contributions that Robinson made during his stellar career. Yet while every other sportswriter will wax poetic with a teary-eyed retrospective about the former Navy man's career, I have a more creative agenda.

Why won't Robinson be considered among the greatest of the great? Let me count the ways.

First and foremost is the fact that Robinson was past his prime when the Spurs finally were able to win their two Larry O'Brien Trophies. Robinson was no longer the first option on his team, instead deferring to superstar power forward Tim Duncan. Robinson's skills had vastly diminished during the title runs, while the top class of centers delivered titles in their primes and were able to win despite a dearth of talent surrounding them in the paint. Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry and Otis Thorpe anyone?

However, the most devastating blow to Robinson's worth as an all-time top five is his play in the 1995 Western Conference finals. The image that will resonate in the minds of hoops fans across the land is that of Robinson hoisting his MVP trophy in the air to the sound of thunderous applause from the Spurs faithful before Game 2 of the series, then being soundly thumped by a 41-point, 16-rebound performance by Olajuwon and the Rockets.

During the six-game matchup, the Dream sunk the Admiral with a dazzling array of spin moves, fakes and jukes to make Robinson look as befuddled as Forrest Gump at a Mensa meeting. The dreaded label of soft haunted Robinson throughout his career and came to the forefront in the one-sided showdown with the upstart Rockets. It was during that tumultuous series when Robinson cemented himself as a second-tier center in the roster of all-time greats, alongside Dave Cowens and Willis Reed.

Nevertheless, hats off to a generous philanthropist, a former member of the armed forces, an accomplished pivot man and an all-around good guy. Not as good as the cream of the crop, but better than the likes of Manute Bol.

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Not a bad read.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Hakeem thing was nice, but the rest is blasphemy that has no place on this website.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

**** David Robinson.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Hakeem>Robinson>Cato

Or something.

6. x_trepidation_x

If Robinson had won at least 1 championship as first option, he probably would be given more respect.

7. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

His MVP award is a joke, his scoring title was bull**** and the two titles belong to Tim Duncan.

8. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Hmm, a very, very "CLASSY" bunch of fans. I'm so glad that Hakeem doesn't have this kinda "classiness" in him.

He's always a gracious WINNER, that's why i always like and admire him -beside the quality of his game, too bad his own fans can't follow his noble path !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Is your only purpose to pop up in Spurs' threads and defend D-Rob?

Just remember '95...

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I respect him for what he did in his community and everything, but just face it: The man never won as the first option on his team. Something that Hakeem did, that Wilt did, that Russell and Shaq did. And I'm not discrediting all the superstars that retired without a ring; it's just the greatest measure of a player's worth is the ability to lead their team to the promised land.

(and you must admit, robinson was torn up by the ruthless dream back in '95)

11. R0ckets03

Go to the ****ing Spers board if you want respect for that p***y. This is a Rockets board dumb ass! And you Spers fans can take that boat load of class and shove it up your classy ass!

#11 R0ckets03, Jun 29, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

:D LOL. It may be a little over the top, but R03's spur hating always makes me laugh.

Anyway, the article was pretty much dead on.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Why do I have the impression that classy, wussy, pu$$y are all synonyms for D-Rob and his loyal fans?:p

14. R0ckets03

Seriously, can someone please enlighten me on why Spers and their r****ded fans must bring up "class" into every single discussion?

The Lakers were champions, but you did not constantly hear about how "classy" they were. And as far as I know Kobe (I hate his ass) is about as good a role model as their can be. You never hear about him getting into off court or even on court trouble.

Bulls did not bring up class when they won. Neither did we. But the Spers! Oh man! Class! Class! Class! We have class! I mean WTF!!!!!!! Who gives a crap!

I admit it! I am classless Spers fans! You guys have more class then me! Take that p***y Robinson, whiner Duncan, Godly Parker, brick boy Bowen and shove them up you know where! Along with you know what!

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

[​IMG]

"Me whine? What? I would never whine. What? I'm just trying to show emotion. I'm too classy to whine."

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I know...It sucks to know that your center will never reach the ranks of the great ones. Jealousy is a beyatch.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Hell.

Yes.

18. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I will say this about David Robinson. He was one of the most classy, decent human beings ever to play in the league. But as far as a player, I would have to put him on the overrated list. During the regular season, he could put up big numbers on a relatively mediocre team, thus he won an MVP and a scoring title. But in the playoffs, unlike the Dream, unlike even Patrick Ewing, he could never deliver. It seemed like every playoff series he got outplayed, by the Dream in 95, but by lesser competition like in the Utah series in the 90's. Fact is he was a playoff choker who refused to take responsibility for his his lack of action. For that, he will always be just a good player, not a great one. A good person does not a great player make.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

**** David Robinson. Did that b*tch have even one decent post move? Awkward looking, stiff, mother****er.

I'd still kick his classy ass up and down the Riverwalk.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Best post ever.