1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

family affair advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sw847, Nov 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sw847

sw847 Member

hoping to get some help here:

a little background: due to my brother being disabled, my father and mother have been living long distance (12 hour plane ride) apart, mum looking after my brother and dad working hard to earn the money required for medication, doctor fees....for my little brother. after about 17 years apart, my dad has become a relatively successful business man. money is no longer a problem for my family. I am currently working with my dad on a new project.

recently i found out that my dad is cheating on my mum. I think he is really in love. But from my knowledge, the girl is a lot younger and 99% sure she is a gold digger.

now what do i do?

p.s no jokes please...this **** is a seriously matter for me. I am asking clutchfans cause i don't want to discuss this matter with those around me.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that bro.

I don't really have any sound advice, but maybe do all you can do fix the problem with that gold digger without your mum ever knowing?

It's always a risk living far apart from your spouse.

Good luck to ya!

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For starters, don't do anything. There are no emergencies, take time to think.

The course is probably, talk to Dad first though.

#3 Dubious, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/59qR4kRdhLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You should change your s/n to doucheious if thats all you got to say. If I were you dude if you do nothing and let your mom think nothing is wrong, its just gonna eat you alive. You should talk to your dad and tell him to tell your mom the truth or you will.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Talk to your dad like a man ... Tell him you dont approve... Then keep it moving...

7. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

17 years apart? Jesus, I'm surprised he lasted that long.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Examine the consequences of every possible action (ignore, confront but conceal, tattle) in every context (financial, moral, emotional); decide what's the most important, and then act accordingly. Also, go ahead look at your mom to see if there's any aspect of her character that would cause him to cheat. The adult world is not high school, a sitcom, or a playoff game; relationships matter more than rules.

Also, assuming you're all adult age, you should probably be as tolerant of their behavior as you expect them to be of yours.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

issues?

So......Moooooommmyy, Daaaaddie's got a girlfriend!

No! first do no harm doctor.

Reacting without thinking it out is the way you f**k up domestic issues. THE #1 priority is the brother, even before the mother, kids before adults, then women then men.
    Did you never see Titanic.

The talking, to the the GD story, starts man to man.

#9 Dubious, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I think what he meant was don't do anything rash, on the spur-of-the-moment. Those choices are very frequently more damaging in the long term. As the affair has already happened, and the damage is largely already done, there is nothing much to be risked by taking a few days to decide how best to proceeed.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I commend your father for taking care of his family. Tough situation.

It's hard to take fault with your dad for being lonely after seventeen years. On the other hand, he should end his marriage first.

As said before, you should cool off, think things through, then sit down and have a man-to-man conversation with him.

If he's fallen out of love with your mother, he should be single on his own for a bit before he settles for some other woman.

Also, given that he slaved for 17 years for the good of your family, I doubt he will leave your brother and mother high and dry.

Good luck.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, Jesus died on the cross, but didn't last too long. :( R.I.P. Jesus.

In all seriousness, sw847, I'm surprised as to why your parents first had to be apart when you said "due to my brother being disabled, my father and mother have been living long distance (12 hour plane ride) apart"... I don't see that one is the cause for the other, but what's done can't be reversed. Why did they decide to be away from each other, so far, and for such a long time? Was it a big fight? :confused:

Also, just speak honestly with your dad. Don't own your mom's feelings, as she may probably also have things she may only want to discuss with your dad and might not want to say them so openly, but it will all come out or she may speak to you knowing you're caring about the situation, eventually. Again, speak with your dad.

1 person likes this.
  13. Prince

Prince Member

This.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Is it possible that your mom is okay with it? It isn't unheard of.

Talk to your dad. Express your concerns. Don't be too quick in judging his girlfriend as a gold digger. Plenty of girls do actually prefer older men.

The real problem will come if your dad just continues on with the affair and leaves your mom in the dark, after you've talked to him. Will you tell you mom? That will be a tough decision.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In my experience, it's never a good idea for kids (or grown adults) to get involved in their parents personal lives.

It sucks what your dad is doing, but you talking to him about it isn't going to stop him. Just tell him you don't to meet her and you don't want to hear about it.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is very sound advice.

DD

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There is likely a whole universe of stuff about your parents' relationship that you don't know about, so be very careful about how you proceed or you'll be a bull in the china shop. It seems unlikely that a woman would live apart from her husband for 17 years and not assume he's having other romantic relationships. It's also possible that she has other romantic relationships as well. Also, not knowing the particulars here, it does seem odd that a family can go 17 years without finding a way to reunite in one house, unless they really didn't want to. It seems more likely that they are emotionally divorced but keep the marriage together for the sake of their children. Overall, from where I'm standing, it seems like you should not do anything at all about your father's infidelity. If you feel like you have to, you need to talk to your father and learn what the situation actually is.

Then, there's the issue of the gold-digger. Since your father is married, he won't be able to marry her and put his estate (and your inheritance) at risk. The only danger is gift-giving or access to the bank accounts. If you are concerned about this, again I think the answer is talking with your father and getting more information. Does he have any intentions re marriage? Does she have access to bank accounts? And so on. If you talk to him and the relationship is out in the open, you may be able to get to know the girlfriend better and judge better if her intentions are good.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This would be my advice as well.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Pics of gold digger please

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Tell your dad to keep said Gold digger as a mistress.

When one marries their mistress they create a job opening.