1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

False Equivalence: 74% of Political Killings By Right Wing Extremists Since 2007

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Aug 16, 2017.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once you get beyond the blather about the violence of antifa and BLM you get to this stark reality.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, right-wing extremists committed 74 percent of the 372 politically motivated murders recorded in the United States between 2007 and 2016. Left-wing extremists committed less than 2 percent.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/what-trump-gets-wrong-about-antifa/537048/
    https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/documents/MurderAndExtremismInUS2016.pdf

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

How is it false equivalency when both sides commit violence?

I like how the liberal media is now shilling for antifa scums when they were completely silent for the last two years

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can't find in that PDF where it says this.

Can someone help me out?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not seeing that figure in the ADL document you linked to. It's only showing for 2015 (42%) and 2016 (10%). Is there another ADL document that shows the stats for other years?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Staggering.....now let's put this in context, there are around 15,000 murders per year in the US and if we use that number as a base we'd come up with around 150,000 murders during your time period. Just assuming that your numbers are accurate because I don't care enough to fact check them, that shows that whatever this group considers "politically motivated murders" make up right around 0.002% of the murders in your time sample. Clearly a staggering number.

Let's also note that your argument dismisses all violence that does not result in a murder that this one group decides is "politically motivated"....which makes it pretty much nothing but propaganda.

I mean, this is the same as if someone were to take a similar sample period and talk about the 78,000+ (somewhere around 52% of the total) murders by one group that makes up about 13% of the total population as evidence that only one group of people was really violent in the US.

You probably wouldn't accept that, and neither would I, so cut it with the propaganda. Your commie buddies ARE violent and you know it, stop defending them. Punching a commie feels every bit as good as punching a nazi, try it out some time.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If I had to generalize I'd imagine right wingers are more deadly while left wingers are more destructive.

When righties go nutters they use explosives and firearms.

When lefties go nutters they burn stuff and break things.

dmoneybangbang, Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's probably accurate. One trends towards beating people with blunt objects and other types of boring old assault along with a few stabbing mixed in for good measure along with all the craziness during riots and the other just goes straight up murder when they snap but I'm sure they mix in their share of assaults too.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Interesting. Im sure some Nazi sympathizers will attempt to discredit this study without valid reason and/or inject pretty irrelevant numbers in amateurish fashion to make it seem like both sides are the same, but it's telling that right wing Nazis are more dangerous than left wing extremists.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am struggling to digest this paragraph...

The year 2016 was also unusual in that right-wing extremists did not dominate the murder statistics, as they have each year since the mid-1980s. In 2015, for example, 70% of all extremist- related killings were perpetrated by right-wing extremists,
    including white supremacists, anti-government extremists and anti-abortion extremists. This past year, however, anti- government extremists were responsible for only either 17% or 22% of extremist-related deaths, depending on how one
    classifies Gavin Eugene Long, while white supremacists were responsible for only 10%. Other right-wing extremist movements committed no murders in 2016.

Very confusing. Maybe it is just me.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It also straight up doesn't make sense given that I'd imagine at least one year during the early 2000's a different group would for sure lead the year in murders.....and if not, it calls into question their methodology.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I am misinterpreting that paragraph but does it mean that anti-government extremists are considered right wing extremists?

Let me read it again...

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now the clown king of false equivalence pretends that the total number of politically motivated murders is insignificant because he can't argue against the staggering difference between killings committed by right wing and left wing groups. This is what make him a clown.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Right wing attacks has been on a rise. The FBI warn about it just recently. The Admin cut program countering domestic extremists.

https://theconversation.com/charlot...rown-terror-on-the-right-is-on-the-rise-78242

The number of violent attacks on U.S. soil inspired by far-right ideology has spiked since the beginning of this century, rising from a yearly average of 70 attacks in the 1990s to a yearly average of more than 300 since 2001.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit that researches U.S. extremism, reported 900 bias-related incidents against minorities in the first 10 days after Trump’s election – compared to several dozen in a normal week – and found that many of the harassers invoked the then-president-elect’s name. Similarly, the Anti-Defamation League, a nonprofit that tracks anti-Semitism, recorded an 86 percent rise in anti-Semitic incidents in the first three months of 2017.

Data my team collected at the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point show that the significant growth in far-right violence in recent years is happening at the base of the iceberg. While the main reasons for that are still not clear, it is important to remember that changes in societal norms are usually reflected in behavioral changes. Hence, it is more than reasonable to suspect that extremist individuals engage in such activities because they sense that their views are enjoying growing social legitimacy and acceptance, which is emboldening them to act on their bigotry.

Budget cuts
    Despite an uptick in far-right violence and the Trump administration’s plan unveiled earlier this year to increase the Department of Homeland Security budget by 6.7 percent to US$44.1 billion in 2018, the White House also proposed to cut spending for programs that fight non-Muslim domestic terrorism.

The federal government has also frozen $10 million in grants aimed at countering domestic violent extremism. This approach is bound to weaken the authorities’ power to monitor far-right groups, undercutting public safety.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not "pretending" anything, it IS insignificant in the large scheme of things.....and you know it too, but I get why you don't feel like you can admit it.

More importantly though, talking about a total number of murders even assuming that the people you are quoting managed to get accurate numbers still doesn't give you an accurate picture of total violence. If one group assaults 400 people, lights 10 cars on fire, vandalizes and robs 5 businesses, and stabs 4 people......and different group kills 3, which group is more violent?

16. Buck Turgidson

Law enforcement, and everyone else, makes a distinction between the "Sovereign Citizen" Bundy types and the lefty anarchist types.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I had no idea that the 3 officers killed in baton rouge after the alton sterling incident was considered a right wing attack. I learned something new today.

Amiga likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is a reason why we group type of crimes, and we call some of them terrorism and political in nature, some hate, and some just "regular" crimes. None of them are insignificant and we can't mix and match them for our (political or viewpoint) convenient. Mixing them is a common tactic to avoid seeing the truth behind them. Clown indeed.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That case is a common misconception that I see quite a bit (as a former resident of that region and as someone that visit there regularly). Killer was black and is automatically assigned to a group (BLM). Who would thought he belong to one of the weirdest right wing ever.

zksb09 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you are looking for certain results in the end you can make it happen if you torture the data enough. I guess black separatists (radical BLM types) count as "right wing", but it seems a bit odd given that in no way would they describe themselves that way.

Again though, anything to end up with the results you want to show.