1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fallen Tree Branch question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rfrocket, Oct 3, 2014.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Hey guys.

Last night a very large branch in the back corner of my (actually my next door neighbors) backyard fell down. It went across my garage and fell partially on my house roof and partially on my fence (broke a couple of pickets). I was lamenting that my chainsaw recently quit working and then it suddenly hit me.

The branch is laying on top of where my power and telephone wires come across my garage and into the breaker box at the back of my house. Does anyone know if I can call Centerpoint for this? Will they come out and cut it down? Will they charge me for it? Or my neighbor since the base of the tree is on his property?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

To answer in short... Yes, it does make a sound when it falls and no one is around to hear it.

But seriously, call and see. I believe their rule is anything before where the wire connects to your house is what they'll fix.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, since its power lines, I'd go to CenterPoint first, worry about who pays second. I doubt CenterPoint bills you, but what do I know? If there is damage to the house, you can call your insurance company and they'll sort out who pays. Probably no one will pay for removing the tree branch, unless CenterPoint removes it as a hazard to their power lines.

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

You should call it in. They will charge you a flat $50 fee if they determine it to be an issue on your side (customer owns the drops and meter can and Centerpoint owns the meter) but it appears like it would be a no charge. If it is determined to be a telephone wire you will not be charged. It sounds like the branch is on your overhead drops. Call it in a report it as a "wire down" but be there when the tech arrives. You need to be prepared for a disconnect if the tech determines it to be a hazard on your equipment. You would have to make the repairs before you are reconnected. If it is a CenterPoint issue they will make the appropriate repairs at that time.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

unrelated to topic and not like it really matters but... if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it then it does NOT make a sound.

sound is defined as having a source that emits, a medium to transmit, a receiver to detect.
    If there is no receiver then there is no sound.

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Well I got Centerpoint out there.
    Bad news for me. Even though the branch was on "their drops" they said they couldn't cut the branches down because the tree wasn't on their "easement" or "area" or whatever the guy called it. And I don't have insurance so it will have to come out of my pocket.

And it/they are some big mofo'n branches. The tree split off 2 big branches starting about 18' up (the tree). About 2-3' at the base and 25-30' long. One fell across my garage and house and the other across the garage and fence. At least the guy didn't disconnect my power. Although I don't feel very lucky it could have been much worse if it/they fell differently. Oh well.

Anybody know a cheap tree guy? lol