1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Falcon Heights] Woman goes live on Facebook after boyfriend is shot by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...once the guy told the cop he had a concealed weapon...it should have been like:

Cop: Put your hands on the wheel or dash. Slowly, with your hands in the air, step out of the car.

The cop could have then asked him where the gun is. Cop could have taken the gun and finished searching him. Then, asked for the CHL, driver's license, and registration. Then, wrote him a ticket or whatever...and sent them on their merry way. It seems reasonable the victim would have complied and everything would have been okay.

But, if the cop is giving confusing/contradictory instruction and then shoots the man for trying to obey, then that is just bad police work and there are repercussions. It's called "go to jail".

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Has the NRA come out with a statement yet about a citizen getting killed while legally carrying a gun?

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I should not have used the word "racism" in my post because I agree with you: unconscious bias ≠ racism. Outright racism is not the same as having a different reaction when policing blacks and whites.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, we don't know what the cop said right now. The video we've seen starts after everything happened. If he indeed did screw up, he'll be going to jail.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yep, agree agree.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The likely scenario is the cop has a different story, it can't be proven one way or another, he has unpaid leave for awhile, maybe has to move to a different jurisdiction but faces no jail time and a wife lost her husband and a 4 year old will grow up without a father because a cop shot a man for no reason.

That four year old will grow up without respect for police and someday some white lady will smh at that black kid acting like an "*******" or a "thug" when he gets an attitude with a cop who pulls him over for failing to signal a lane change.

7. Damion Laverne

Defund your police departments. Less government spending. Manslaughter would be an easier criminal charge

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

With a next incident in between every other step.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but the way he was losing his $hit and screaming after was a good indication.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but in fairness, he was a white cop that just shot a black man.....that's like the last thing you ever want to do if you are a white cop because pretty much no matter what happens you'll instantly be branded a racist and people will be out on the streets rioting about it.

Freaking out a bit after shooting someone is normal. Freaking out after shooting someone that will turn the country against you is even more normal. If only the guy wasn't black we wouldn't have even heard about this incident.

When the dash cam comes out we'll find out for certain how it all went down assuming we can hear everything. If the guy had a body cam that'll be even more helpful.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Which is why I don't have one. I grew up in Houston during the Herman Short days and I learned all I need to know about police and how they treat black males. I'm not about to get shot trying to show some cop my CHP.

12. HillBoy

BULL****! That cop shot that man simply because he was black. That ******* wouldn't even known he had a gun if the victim hadn't told him first. He clearly told that cop he had a CHP. You want to me believe that had this been a white man with a white woman and child, that cop would've still fired shots into that car, continued to point his weapon and curse at them? Not in my world.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, thanks for this. When people like you freak out like this it's high comedy.

14. HillBoy

Keep on laughing. One day it'll be you looking down the barrel of some out of control cop's gun and we'll see just how funny you find it then. This has happened to both myself and my 19 year old son (who was sitting a bus stop) in the past year and we weren't inclined to laugh it off. This situation is a direct result of the militarization of the police. The same situation exists in Iraq and Afghanistan where our military is trying to police civilian populations. And, unless they change policing in this country, this will start happening to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

none, just an observation. I doubt most people would be that calm after that... not to mention opening up fb live.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

But, it's good she did.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Been there, done that. When I was younger I got picked up on a warrant for a ticket I forgot about. I've seen bad cops freak the hell out while holding a gun on me for no reason. If I was an idiot and had fought the cops or resisted arrest I have no doubt in my mind that little b*stard would have shot me.

Did I laugh it off? Hell no, I was pissed, but I didn't do anything stupid.

At the same time, I was damn near twice the size of that cop and he was worried that I was going to do something when I found out he was going to arrest me. The very first thing the cop did was pull his gun on me when he was heading back to my car from running my license. It might seem extreme, but cops get hurt and killed every single day on stops that seem routine so there's a bit of a reason for paranoia. Now that I'm older, I understand that a lot better. In the end most cops just want to make it home at the end of the day and they are stuck dealing with the absolute worst that humanity has to offer every single day. As such, I have sympathy a lot of the time for what they have to go through.

In this instance, if things happened like the woman said they did, it looks like the cop needs to be going to jail for what he did. This was straight up manslaughter IF things happened as she claimed. Other instances where people are fighting with cops or resisting arrest I have no sympathy for. That's just moronic and begging for trouble. Even if you feel like the arrest is unjust, let the cop arrest you and deal with it later. There's never anything gained by fighting with cops.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Damn shame. So ****ing sick of these damn cops and their trigger happy fun. I'm not sorry to say this. Most of them were bullies or bullied in High School, failed at life to become an engineer or something similar, and elected to become a professional bully for their career since they weren't smart enough.

Disgusting. Shameful. Poor little kid for having to witness that.

#AUDITTHECOPS

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If by "serious jail time", you mean "Paid Administrative Leave" then I'm with you. This cop is probably going to be lauded as a hero, and "promoted" to a desk job.