1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Falcon Heights] Woman goes live on Facebook after boyfriend is shot by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 7, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

"You just told me that you have a gun. For everyone's safety, I'm going to ask you to please step out of the car so that I can disarm you."

Is a statement similar to that against protocol?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There is extensive coverage of this incident on CNN-International in Europe. The time difference might make a difference, I don't know, but the video has been played many times and is brutally shocking. I wouldn't watch it with my significant other, because she would be extremely upset, and we're on a very nice vacation. Here is what I saw several times while she was elsewhere. The gentleman was pulled over for a broken tail light. He tells the cop(s) at the window that he has an open carry permit and that his driver's license is in the glove box. He reaches for his driver's license and the cop at the window fires into his body several times. His wife is sitting next to him, his 4 year child is in the back seat, and his wife clearly doesn't realize how badly he is wounded. She thinks he's been shot in the arm.

It is shocking. They handcuff his wife as her husband is dying. It comes over her that he is critically wounded and she loses it, something any spouse would do in a similar situation. The child is confused and is at a loss as to what has happened.

Calling it unbelievable isn't enough. It is cold blooded murder during what should have been an ordinary traffic stop.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We have a major problem here in Minnesota when it comes to African Americans and law enforcement. The Twin Cities are a fantastic place to live but if you're black, it's a different experience. We have countless stories of racism, police brutality and even police shootings now. Makes me unbelievably angry and embarrassed as a resident to hear this. If an African American wanted to move here, I'd almost suggest not doing it. The racial disparity here in income, education, etc.. is one of the worst in the US. Not to mention the blatant racism that comes with cops here. We have conveniently chosen to just ignore a large community and treat them as suspected criminals. And this coming from the city that has one of the most generous refugee resettlement programs in the US.

And the mental gymnastics that has to occur to justify this just boggles the mind. At some point, we collectively have to say that the cop was wrong in this instance.

What a ****ty day. I hope the Republicans lose the Minnesota State House in November so we can finally get some criminal justice reform and police reforms on the books.

2 people like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Police training seems to be at this point, "if you feel the slightest bit nervous about your safety, you are justified to kill." "The most important thing you do is make sure you come home every night (even if you have to kill innocent people to ensure it.)" It places the safety of the officer so far above the safety of innocent bystandards.

I used to think that cops on TV were playing up the amount of danger they felt they are in in order to grow sympathy, but they really feel that besieged, despite the fact that working as a lumberjack, a roofer or even supervising landscapers is more dangerous. * The problem is the result of a disproportionate sense of danger drilled into them by well meaning trainers seeking to protect them, but completely disregarding how that paranoia affects the people they are sworn to protect.

1 person likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If I closed my eyes and someone read me that post, I'd swear it was RocketsLegend being serious and not you being sarcastic.

1 person likes this.
  6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I don't know if you are playing a character online, but you should just step back and look at yourself in the mirror. You are just a despicable human being.

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And there are black people on twitter calling for peace. And white people on Stormfront and twitter wanting to give the cop a medal. There are always jackasses in these cases. Case in point.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This cop deserves to go to jail. Manslaughter at least.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Second degree murder at the very least.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can find jack asses of any race, ideology, agenda etc on twitter and i general the internet quite easily. And don't even try to slip by with a "but their scale is much greater' argument with this because YOU HAVE NO DAMN CLUE which entities are the worst on the internet. You have NO statistical evidence to suggest that there are more angry black racists than angry white racists on the internet.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This video will be shown in history classrooms as a tipping point for police lawlessness and reform in this country.

1 person likes this.
  12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

They should think that, because it is true.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

disarming cops would save more american lives than disarming terrorists. look it up.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They do. Always have. The rest of the country just wouldn't listen. And folks wouldn't listen to her now, if she hadn't had the quick wit to record/live stream to protect her own life.

And the officers' behavior towards the woman and her child after the officer committed murder was beyond the pale.

1 person likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

B-Bob, I think it was, asked in the Sterling thread about the NRA statement on that event, but it turned out that dude was a felon and not allowed to carry. This guy is one of theirs, a CHL holder who declared to law enforcement he was armed and licensed. They can throw in some language about awaiting the outcome of investigations, etc etc, but I should hope we'll see some kind of statement from them about their concerns about how law enforcement respects the second amendment rights of gun owners. Because even if the incident is an outlier event it's not really just random that the dude was black. White people stand on their rights and march in public with long guns slung on their shoulders. Black people only have these rights in theory and, in practice, get shot for daring to exercise them.

#55 JuanValdez, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And there are plenty of white people suggesting we nuke Arabs. That cat RocketsLegend is probably one of them

It's obvious to any sensible person that black lives don't matter. Not just to the police but to American society.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just heard from a friend who said "Dude shouldn't have reached for a gun. Got what he deserved."

Life is cheap.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is a very good post. Being overprotective in other jobs leads to higher financial costs and burdens on comfort. Being overprotective in police work can lead to deadly consequences for others.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

find new friends.

also, i hope everyone realizes now why black folks run since they always like to point it out.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Another police shooting. Let's see:

1. Administrative Leave (check)
    2. Victim was a thug and deserved it (check)
    3. Trial
    4. Officers not guilty
    5. Next incident