1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Falcon Heights] Woman goes live on Facebook after boyfriend is shot by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In most situations in order to get a license to carry you have to take a course to "train" you how do so....so he's likely not "untrained" and he really should have known what to do and what not to do. I mentioned earlier about how when you choose to carry in public, you take on additional responsibilities and those unwilling or unable to fulfill those responsibilities really should not carry in public. Part of that responsibility is knowing how to interact with police when you are armed....and that's absolutely not reaching for ANYTHING when an officer is telling you not to reach for "it". For all the officer knew, the guy was deranged and he planned on pulling his gun and killing him. The officer can't make assumptions like that, so that means the armed person has a responsibility to make that officer feel comfortable. He failed and it cost him his life.

We can talk all we want about how this is tragic because Castile seemed like a good guy but that doesn't mean a crime was committed. Of course that won't be enough for people out for "revenge" looking to hurt others because a black man died but we shouldn't concern ourselves with the reaction of racists like that. They should be shunned for their barbaric beliefs and we should move on with our lives.

2. jsingles

jsingles Member

Because in the United State of America you are innocent until being proven guilty in a court of law. Did you not learn this in middle school or at worst high school?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A lot of people are presumed guilty as soon as they leave the house. Maybe you should join the real world instead of pretending your elementary school civics lesson is indicative of what happens in society.

4. jsingles

jsingles Member

I hate to insult someone who appears to be mentally r****ded, so you'll have to forgive me. A presumption of guilt doesn't mean anything in the legal sense, a lot of people's opinions don't actually mean anything, you have to understand this. The man was NEVER guilty, the case only furthered this fact. This is not a matter of debate, the man wasn't guilty, never was and never will be. If you're not already seeking medical attention I suggest you do so, immediately.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Legally guilty. That's not what was asked by bobrek, but you missed it.

A presumption of guilt meant quite a bit. It affects judges, lawyers and members of jury. There have been plenty of cases of guilt or not guilt that are wrong due to presumption of guilt or presumption of never-guilt.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, that's why 7 out of 10 black men are hunted down and murdered by racist police every year. In fact, in 2017 so far, 14 million innocent black men have been assassinated by racist police that's 72 every second!

I know, I'm making fun of you for being stupid, but at least you are pulling this BS in a thread about a legitimately innocent black man that was shot by police. Still not a criminal act, but it's the closest thing to your narrative that we've seen in a VERY long time.

d2outlet likes this.
  7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

He's still waiting for OJ to catch the real killer.

8. jsingles

jsingles Member

My mind relies on facts, evidence, and reasoning. All of those show that he was not, nor was he ever, guilty of a crime. Do you rely on methods other than reality to determine if someone is guilty of a crime? That's a very scary rationale.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. jsingles

jsingles Member

You embarrass yourself and your entire family with this comment. God bless you son.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rely on the legal system to provide legally guilty or not.

Rely on reality to have thoughts about if it's justifiably guilty or not.

We do not have a perfect system. If and when we see issues with a verdict, we don't go back to legality as a reason/excuse for justifying unjust justice. I'm not saying that this case is unjust, but in the history of trials by jury, there have been plenty. If you continue to stick to legality and only legality, than you are putting your complete trust in a non-perfect system. I keep my options open. In most cases, I have no reason to question a verdict, but I'm not going to said I'm absolutely sure that someone is actually guilty or not (again, not ref legally) in a case where the jury relies largely on believing the defendant words.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your subjective opinion as to if someone is "guilty" or "not guilty" that aren't tied to the legal definitions of what constitutes a crime and what would lead to a person being guilty or not guilty are not really valid. I hope you realize that. When someone says that a person is "guilty" or "not guilty" and they are grounding it in the actual laws on the books then that is valid. All too often people form lynch mobs and b**** and whine about "justice" when justice was actually done.....they just didn't get to string anyone up depriving them of the revenge they were actually seeking.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I know your opinions don't mean anything and yet they're stupid nonetheless. The fact that you would waste your time trying to pretend there's no difference between guilt and a guilty verdict further underscores the stupidity. So carry on with the stupidity, I know you will.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In this case, the not guilty verdict was based on the person not being guilty of any crime. Now that doesn't mean that simpletons out to string someone up in order to get "revenge" won't claim that he's guilty.....but when you side with the lynch mob over the innocent, it pretty much always says just tons of bad things about you.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

OJ didn't do it.

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dash cam video makes me nauseous. Unbelievably tragic. I refuse to read what I'm sure is the garbage in the thread, but if there are people here who think the not guilty verdict for manslaughter is legitimate, please watch the dash cam video.

By the way, where is the NRA defending a legal gun owner?

amaru likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The officer overreacted, and almost certainly the driver being a black male was the reason he overreacted. And that is a big problem.

I hope that's obvious and acceptable to everyone, irrespective of where their opinion may lie on the criminality of the officer's actions or the driver's judgment as a gun owner in that situation.

amaru likes this.
  18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Cop - "don't pull it out don't pull it out"

*pulls it out
    *gets shot

100 percent not guilty.

19. amaru

amaru Member

I saw the footage as well. That was just ridiculous. Even after he was mortally wounded he was polite.

The NRA ain't coming lol. Victim was the wrong color

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The dash cam video helps make the case for the officer being not guilty of a crime actually. It is as you said an "unbelievably tragic" situation, but it wasn't a criminal situation.

As far as the NRA goes, you'd think they'd use this in videos to help train gun owners how to act when stopped by police while carrying a handgun but other than that there isn't much they can do.